Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Full at IMAZ
Quote | Reply
Here is my race report of my first full IronMan. I know its long...lol...
The race really started 6 months ago. I hired a coach to help me get through this. Brandon from Centric Sports in Sierra Madre. He was great, got me on track and made some modifications to my fueling and hydration and really squared me away. After a few months I didn't like Brandon much anymore as he really cranked up my training time...lol.. He had me train in these ridiculously low heart rate zones and I thought he was crazy for making me go so slow. He told me if your friends see you run at this pace you'll be embarassed..lol.. I later found out why, its an endurance event and you have to be able to make your body last for anywhere from 12-17 hours. He custom tailored a program for me to accommodate my 2 jobs. So I really only had 3-4 days a week to train and make the best of it.
My training the last 3 months was something like I never experienced. I ran a 1/2 marathons every weekend for the last 6 weeks. I swam miles and miles hour after hour in the pool. Then came the bike. The last 5 weeks I had to take every Thursday off work because my training day consisted of 7 hours on the bike (112 miles) followed by a 1 hour run. 8 gawd damn hours of training in a row...ughhh.. I powered through each of them the best I could. My body started giving up on me in the end and I was tired, achy and grumpy. My body was shot. I no longer wanted to get up at 5am to ride for 7 hours, then got to work after. I went from a pretty solid 192 lbs to 175-180 lbs. I lost all my upper body muscle. My coach met with me and told me my body was at its end and it was likely I would get sick and really fall apart a bit as he had pushed me to my limit. He then told me I would start my 2 week taper, slowly backing off my mileage. I crashed hard and felt terrible. I started thinking there is no way Im going to do this. Kind of hit a dark spot. Coach re-assured me that on race day I would be rested and ready. I doubted him, but relied on his wisdom. My 2 week taper went by and I started to fell a litle better.
It was Friday and time to leave for Arizona. Me and 2 buddies from work were off to see what Ironman was all about. We got to Tempe and unloaded and checked in. Ironman village was set up and it was all getting real. It was electric there, the energy was great. The day before we carbed up aka "Glycemic loading"...lol.. and stayed off our feet. Coach told me sleep good Friday night because Saturday night you will be to nervous to sleep for Sunday's race day. He was right. I tossed and turned all night fearing the swim cut off time of 2:20. 2.4 miles in the water is a long ass way. Its so far, you cant see the turn around buoy. I slept like 3 hours. I thought, I'm screwed, I didn't sleep... the nerves kicked in.
We walked down to the swim start and all 3000 of us jumped in the water together. We swam out to the start spot and tread water for about 10 min. All of a sudden I started feeling excited, not scared. The announcer yelled out over the loudspeaker that there were about 1500 of us Ironman virgins in the water. He also said there was an 84 year old man out there with us, the 3000 swimmers went crazy and cheered for him, it was awesome.
BOOOM, the start cannon went off and 3000 people all took off at once. It was like being in a blender, kicked, punched, swam over, swam under, pulled etc... I got my goggles kicked off with a solid kick to my right eye. Glad I remembered an old trick of tucking my goggles under my swim cap. I stopped put them back on and off I went. Then the water opened up after about 1/4 mile and it was smooth sailing. I swam mostly unconconsted till the turn around. The turnaround buoy was another fight as everyone funneled into a small space making the turn, but I got through it. I looked at my watch and saw 45 min and said Im 1/2 way and I feel good. The 1.2 mile swim back seemed like it took forever. All of a sudden I was getting out of the water and running to the transition. I looked down and it was 1:29 on my watch, a minute faster then I expected. I was a little dizzy when I got out of the water which is a weird thing that happens to me after long swims. It takes me a few minutes longer than most to recover.
I was stoked to go get on my bike as that's my strongest discipline, at least that's what I thought. I felt like a Pro in transition as the volunteers helped me get out of my wetsuit and into my cycling gear.
I ran off to the bike and a course volunteer had it waiting for me. I hopped on and rode out of the chute. I saw my buddies from work cheering me on. I was motivated now. I felt great as I rode out of town toward the desert. Then the winds came. 20-30mph head winds going uphill for about 15 miles. Mind you the bike was (3) 38 mile loops out n back. It was 1:15 of straight climbing into the wind. I was riding at 10mph. 7-8 mph below my average. I was like there's no way it can be like this today, its supposed to be nice...LOL.. I kept to my heart rate and kept telling myself no to blow up on the bike.
I made it through the wind and turned around and headed back to town at 20-30mph downhill, which got scary with the crosswind. After getting into town I saw my friends and family again and I was re-motivated. Then came lap 2, back up the hill with the headwind. This really killed my spirit. I was freakin exhausted. At one point I came up to drink out of my water bottle and stopped pedaling for a second and almost came to a complete stop from the headwind. I have never ridden in conditions like that ever. It was so bad there were no signs standing up, everything was laying flat on the ground.
I had to start breaking the ride down into little battles to overcome that. One more hill, mile 56 (1/2way), special needs etc.. Finally I was done with the hill and heading back to town. This time my legs were tired. I got to the town and turned to go back for lap 3 and thats when I hit a low spot. I did not want to climb that hill in the wind again. During lap 2, I saw so many people crashed, being tended to by paramedics. It was unsettling. I saw a guys whose frame was broken into 2 pieces and he was laying on his back getting treated. On my way back up the 3rd time, I saw a guy get blown over in front of my about 2 feet to his left. It was crazy. My forearms were so tired from holding onto the bars as tight as I could. You couldn't relax for a second. People were mentally giving up out there. I saw a girl riding and crying at the same time. I tried to help her by saying we were almost at the top of the hill for the last time, and she told me while sobbing she was only on lap 2. I think I cried for her... I saw a guy walking his bike. No one was having fun on the bike. I tried joking with people and making funny comments, but very few found it funny. I was trying to keep from going into a pity party so I would bail on them. Finally I was to the top of that god forsaken hill for the last time. On my way back downhill to town. This time I coasted a bit more and let the legs recover. I got passed a lot during the 3 laps, but I kept remembering what coach said, stay in your hear rate zone, race your race and don't worry about others. So I did. I got back into town and thought I'm fricken exhausted, now I only have to go run a full marathon....YIKES... Finished the bike in 7:11, about 45 minutes off my expected pace.
The RUN. 2 days before, I was at at the vendor booths and tried on a pair of shoes I always wanted to try. Hokas. I put them on and the girl there said go take em for a run. It was like a revelation. The ground felt like a pillow. I bought them on the spot. Later that day, we were scheduled for a 30 min bike and 15 min run. I wore the Hokas on the run. I felt like I could run forever in them. So I broke the cardinal rule of racing and decided I was going to use the brand new Hokas for the marathon. My partners told me I was crazy. I didn't listen.
So I'm in transition from bike to run and getting ready to head out and putting on the new Hokas. I'm thinking to myself WTF am I doing, I have to run 26 miles now, and I'm pooped. Off to test the new shoes. I started running and was amazed at how well I felt. Then I remembered my coach saying, you'll be rested and ready on race day, trust me. I started and hooked up with another runner and we stayed together for the first 3-4 miles just bs'ing. It kept my mind off the pain, and thought of 22 more miles to go. Then we left Tempe and headed off out of town. I pretty much ran alone the rest of the time, no one is going the same pace out there. I kept on my schedule of salt, hyrdation and fuel. I fell in love with Watemelon flavored GU chomps. I was feeling good, legs were tired but not hurting, that was a good sign. I saw people laying all over the run course getting treated, having convulsions, throwing up, limping, doing the zombie death march ..etc..
I tried to break up the run in little battles, my first 5k, next 5k, to the turn around.. My dark spot came at mile 13.1, the 1/2 way point. At that time you pass the finish line and can hear Mike Riley yelling over the loud speaker random names "You are an Ironman", and your now off onto the next 13.1 miles. It was hard to to pass that finish line. I then ran into the same guy Mike I started running with in the beginning. He was happy and good to talk to. We got each other back up and we were off and running. Now I thought, I can run another 13 no prob. Mike pooped out on me and told me to get after it so I left him. Too bad, he was a cool dude to BS with.
I passed my friends and fam and they said my co-worker was right on my tail. That's when my competitive side kicked in and I said this no longer and endurance event, its a race. I started picking up the pace. I saw my work partner near a turnaround point near mile 8 and he was only about 5 min behind me. I was calculating in my head that he would catch me by mile 13. Mile 13 came and he wasn't there. Then mile 15 came and I was still good. I said to myself I get a treat at mile 20, Coca Cola. They offer flat Coke and Red Bull on the run course, but my coach cautioned me from taking it early in the marathon as you can crash if you jump the gun on that stuff. So he said start it at mile 20. Mile 20 came and I got my first Red Bull on ice. WOW !!! After about 10 min I was rejuvenated. I took Red Bull at miles 20, 22, and 24. I literally sprinted as fast as I could from 24 to the finish line, it was crazy how good it worked. I passed probably 20-30 people in the last 2-3 miles. I could hear the crowd. The cheers and the people on the course just screaming that I was almost there. I turned the corner and into the finish chute. I was the only one in the chute so I could hear the entire crowd yelling GO NEIL, Mike Riley yells your name when your close so the crowd is cheering for you. I crossed the line in full sprint, high fiving everyone in the chute, then I heard it "Neil Castelli, You Are an Ironman". It was amazing. I couldn't believe I did 140.6 miles in 14:19 hours. I heard my daughter yelling daddy, daddy and I looked over and all my fam was there. It was amazing. I turned and waited for my work partner and watched him finish. He looked as happy as I felt. We had done it.
It was as mental as it was physical. My coach said Ironman is won with the muscle between your ears, and he was right. You fight some weird demons out there on the course for 14 hours. It was definitley an experience that is hard to explain to others.
Cant wait to do another one. Gotta let this one sink in a little and let my wife forget she hates me...lol..
Quote Reply
Re: First Full at IMAZ [Slowpoke13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GREAT job! FWIW I ALWAYS do sometime new on race day. I've done new shoes, new saddle and nutrition. so now that is my tradition - always something new. :)

enjoy and high and congratulations! Great report!

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: First Full at IMAZ [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are an Ironman! Congrats and thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job, on the race and on the report. A very good read!

Congrats on your first Ironman!

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! Love reading RRs from first-time IMers. Brave man wearing new shoes like that. I've been a Hoka guy for 2 1/2 years.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: First Full at IMAZ [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome recap. Congrats on a great accomplishment. I'm looking at Tahoe next year as my first. Reading your RR got me excited.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! Feels great doesn't it?

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: First Full at IMAZ [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, Im still walking on Cloud 9. I feel fantastic. My hamstrings were a little sore for a few days, but other then that all is good. Yeah, the Hoka thing was a gamble, but man did it pay off. No blisters, no usual black toenail, no hot spots, all is good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job - Congratulations!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GO NEIL! Congratulations on your finish!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enjoyed your RR... I finished 5 mins behind you in 14:23 so I'm sure you passed me on the run.
I couldn't stomach much on the run course and was gassed. Next time I'll try the Red Bull trick.
My wife said I couldn't do another full so I'll have to wait and see...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! I did my first in Maryland this year.
Quote Reply