Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kickr reading high [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
mebo wrote:
\ After the ride the calibration may vary vary.03 to.05. So if .01 is 1/5 of a watt, that doesn't seem to be much drift, or am I missing something here.

Not a big difference but IIRC the power difference is .5 watts per .01lb of press on force. So a .03 value =1.5 watts and a value of .05 =2.5 watts. Sill not a big deal. Seldom see a change or more than .02 over and hour and the Computrainer generated values match my SRM values very nicely from start to finish.

YMMV,

Hugh

That's interesting to read... so the SRM and CT are in agreement for the most part?
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr reading high [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
sciguy wrote:
mebo wrote:
\ After the ride the calibration may vary vary.03 to.05. So if .01 is 1/5 of a watt, that doesn't seem to be much drift, or am I missing something here.

Not a big difference but IIRC the power difference is .5 watts per .01lb of press on force. So a .03 value =1.5 watts and a value of .05 =2.5 watts. Sill not a big deal. Seldom see a change or more than .02 over and hour and the Computrainer generated values match my SRM values very nicely from start to finish.

YMMV,

Hugh

That's interesting to read... so the SRM and CT are in agreement for the most part?

They match quite wonderfully as long as I warm up the CT for 10 minutes or so and do a coast down calibration. I actually purchased the directions for tweaking the CT that Andy Coggan mentioned but found that both of the two Computrainers my wife and I have are essentially "spot on". Mine is nearly 20 years old with a zillion hours on it but it still keeps working.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sciguy, where can I purchase the instructions?
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr reading high [mebo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe you can find the information for free now. Several years ago I paid $10 to Rick Murphy of the Wattage list for a nice writeup of his procedure. I'll try to dig mine up or find a link to a Wattage list post that outlines the method.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Dec 19, 14 12:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm lucky to have a good CT unit. Once tyre is properly warmed up and roll down calibrations are done it matches my SRM very well. I've tested it with 2 calibrated SRMs, and a number of Powertaps, and all within expected range of variance for those meters. I also have done multiple MAP tests with many clients and for those with good power meters we get good comparative data. I know it will manage the load increase at the intended rate, and if a client doesn't have a power meter, I know the CT power data will be reliable for testing and tracking MAP results.

The CT data is smoothed a little more than the SRM but I'm not expecting the CT to provide peak/instantaneous power spikes accurately, just manage my load appropriately, like the following snippet from a Sufferfest ride couple of weeks ago comparing CT data (yellow) to my calibrated SRM data (red):

It's an older wired SRM with no speed sensor on the rear wheel, so syncing longer power traces gets tricky as the SRM will stop recording when not pedalling, rather than when wheel stops moving. But the data maintains this sort of good agreement while ever the tyre stays warm. If I get off for a break and start up again, it'll get back to agreement within a couple of minutes of starting again.

I can imagine there may be some smaller changes in roll down calibrations for those who do extended much higher power work with low power recoveries, as the tyre temp likely varies a bit more, but for the modest power I'm currently capable of, I've got to the stage that I really don't need the SRM on my trainer bike to get data I trust for this purpose.

Having run a training centre with lab model CTs, my experience was there can be modest differences between units (I would test the different units with my SRMs), although not overly large enough to be of concern for the purpose of such training nor to feel the need to make potentiometer adjustments. If unlucky you can get a bad load gen which will be out of spec (and which the CT rep happily exchanged for a new replacement once I provided the SRM comparative data).

Despite my experience, I still recommend testing to verify the reliability and accuracy of the power data provided by any trainer (well any power measurement device really), and not to take the data at face value or rely on any claims.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fwiw
My powerbeam pro reads 10w or so higher than my quark over my first few rides
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr reading high [jimmy3993] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
figured I would just add myself into the list here - Kickr tends to read about 15-20 watts higher than my SRM (pc7 and newer crankset) ...

I take data off my SRM so it's not a big deal but with the cost of the KICKR it would be kind of nice that if I set it to 260 watts it does ... 260 watts.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr reading high [burger0014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Kickr has always read about 10w higher than my Quarq. A few months ago my Quarq started acting a little goofy, and the zero offset started drifting up and up and up. I started to send it in for repair (already replaced 3 under warranty that just quit working) but first decided to try taking the chain rings apart, cleaned everything like new, lubed the bolts, and torqued them all back to spec. Due to the recent cold snap, I had the chance to ride the Kickr this weekend. Guess what? The Quarq and the Kickr were spot on. Go figure.
Quote Reply

Prev Next