Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [JimmyRiccitello] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, I would love to see folks passion and energy to go after the drug use in our sport before worrying about drafting. I do not think Kevin Moats was an exception, especially in the older AG's.

Has there been any talk of doing Out of Competition testing for top racers, like how they caught Kevin?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't disagree that PEDs are an issue, but drafting is much lower-hanging fruit.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wbattaile wrote:
I don't disagree that PEDs are an issue, but drafting is much lower-hanging fruit.

Drafting will never be stopped. If it were "much lower-hanging fruit", there would be solutions.

ITU got it right, they just changed.

ITU may be having the same attitude in sprint AG racing.

In most races, there just is not that much of it. Put together a challenging course, spread out the swim wave starts, and just forget about it.

I still think the drug use gives a MUCH larger advantage than drafting. And since folks have to plan big time to do this, might be hard to deal
with also, but just because you cannot "see" it on race day is not reason to ignore it.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JimmyRiccitello wrote:
Plenty of athletes at this year's IMFL have stated in this thread that drafting was not rampant. Unlike you, I was there, and saw zero rampant drafting. Zero large groups.

170 penalties (most for drafting) were called this year, trending down for the past five years.

Fast times at IMFL are possible without drafting.

Blatant drafting happens at small races, too. The scenario that prompted this thread could just have easily happened at the Timbuktoo Tri .

To address an earlier post of yours: I work for WTC and I care about enforcing drafting - even if I don't always succeed. I was hired by WTC to help minimize drafting. It is a fact that WTC cares about minimizing drafting. Our efforts in FL (and many other races) have gone unnoticed by you, because you've never been there. But efforts have been made, and athletes who attend have noticed.

I hope that you consider these facts when forming future opinions about IMFL and WTC.

Jimmy have you considered painting a set of lines over different parts of the course that are seperated by 7 meters as a reminder to athletes what that distance actually is. Similar to the reflectors that pros are told to use in Kona. Obviously they can not be over the entire course, but may just be a good way to calibrate everyone including the marshalls to what is legal.

Everywhere in the United States, the dashed lines on the roadways are ten meters apart. So are reflectors. Thus, the same thing that applies in Kona applies in Clearwater.

Which United States? These here Imperial United States? lol...I believe in the USA they are 40ft apart. Lines are 10' long, spacing 30'. Makes them 40' on center.

Quote | Reply
You're right, I spaced on yards vs. meters. But the federal standards do actually say 3 meters for the lines and 9 meters for the gaps.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [lanceman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about just allowing racers to mount video cameras on their own bikes. Allow racers to submit a drafting challenge against a racer backed up by video evidence post race. Even without a challenge system I imagine it would act as a deterrent when the drafter is sitting there staring into the back of a gopro knowing they're on camera. Then you can create a lovely youtube video of shame for the blatant drafters.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by PcB [ In reply to ]
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [paulcburton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paulcburton wrote:
I could not disagree more. That was ITUs bogus excuse for turning triathlon into a boring team sport. Cheaters do not define the sport any more than politicians and money interests. Drafting was well controlled and officiating was making great advances until the TriFed officials program was deliberately destroyed. Go to USAT website and read the history.

Yes, I don't think they made it draft-legal because the pros were rampantly cheating.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, but they did make it draft legal because enforcement is notoriously difficult and no one wanted an Olympic games controversy over drafting.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [OkotoksLawyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, that was it then. I wasn't sure exactly but I thought it must have been something motivated by trying to get into the Olympics.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [irontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too early to wish this guy well this weekend?
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [Spoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not too early at all.

I hope he finds a nice set of wheels this Saturday.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by aaronechang [ In reply to ]
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [Spoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love resurrections like this.
I feel this is as close a chance I'm going to get to bring it up, about a month ago, someone resurrected a thread that was about 6 years old, where someone was asking for help finding a specific product, and out of the blue, someone commented, well did you ever find it. I was away from the forums a couple days after that and haven't been able to find it since, does anyone remember that and can link me to it?
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [irontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you should've just pissed on him lmao
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
you should've just pissed on him lmao

Yeah, no doubt. I was in too much disbelief.

I hope he double flats (safely) on Sat.

Quote | Reply
habbywall wrote:
Love resurrections like this.
I feel this is as close a chance I'm going to get to bring it up, about a month ago, someone resurrected a thread that was about 6 years old, where someone was asking for help finding a specific product, and out of the blue, someone commented, well did you ever find it. I was away from the forums a couple days after that and haven't been able to find it since, does anyone remember that and can link me to it?

I think you are referring to this: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=5664310#5664310

It was 10 years to the day - he set an Outlook reminder. Pure awesomeness!
Quote Reply

Prev Next