Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

920xt and Stages (Or wetsuit). Anybody have experience with it yet?
Quote | Reply
Just wondering if any of those that have gotten the 920 also have a Stages PM. And if it seems to be more stable with less drops than the 910 and Stages combo.
Last edited by: Max Daddy: Feb 28, 15 6:31
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt and Stages. Anybody have experience with it yet? [Max Daddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually - yes.

I found that the stages and 910 were very cranky. At times the 910 wouldn't even pick up the Stages. I kept changing batteries.

With the 920, that seems to have NEARLY gone away. I've had the 920 since the week of IMKona and have found that it syncs with my Stages MUCH faster. (I don't have to back pedal numerous times and wait or hold the battery door tight and wait. It just syncs as soon as I move my bike and am in bike mode.)

The one thing I do find is that if I'm out for an easy spin and doing a lot of coasting or downhill cruising, once I start to pedal again, the 920 beeps and says "Power Meter connected". I'm not sure why it does that...perhaps a bug. But the PM data on Garmin Connect has been pretty solid. And the connection issues have improved. It's much better than the with the 910.

Denise
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt and Stages. Anybody have experience with it yet? [MrsTiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to hear it's at least a little better.

How does the power data look at the times of coasting? Can you tell if it's still incorporating those zeroes? I guess it would be hard to tell based on there being a drop in general.

Do you have to answer the calibrate power meter question every time you start a ride?
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt and Stages. Anybody have experience with it yet? [Max Daddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Max Daddy wrote:
Good to hear it's at least a little better.

How does the power data look at the times of coasting? Can you tell if it's still incorporating those zeroes? I guess it would be hard to tell based on there being a drop in general.

Do you have to answer the calibrate power meter question every time you start a ride?

The power data is 0. Looking at the data on Strava or GC I see the 0 power and cadence.

The places where the power meter dropped during sustained climbs is much easier to see though. And yes, the data is averaging this out. But I do not blame the 920 for this. I blame the PM for this because it's a finicky bastard sometimes. These issues have happened less and less with the 920. I had nearly given up on the PM with the 910 thinking it was just battery issues.

As for the calibrate power meter question - NOPE! Funny you ask that because I was just thinking the other day "how do I calibrate my PM on the 920?" I think I've seen that notification once and haven't seen it since. Quite nice actually.

Denise
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt and Stages. Anybody have experience with it yet? [MrsTiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting that you blame the PM - I have a Stages and pair it with both the 910 and 510.

The 910 just won't pick it up - at least very intermittently. Apparently its an issue if you have a HRM connected as well as the Stages.

The 510 on the other hand is fine - picks it up no problem at all - see my race files from today:

910 Multi Sport link:

http://connect.garmin.com/...n/activity/646411244

510 Bike File

http://connect.garmin.com/.../646449839/1?lang=en

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Last edited by: BayDad: Dec 6, 14 20:45
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt and Stages. Anybody have experience with it yet? [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I blamed the Stages because I had the same issues happen on the 910 and my Edge 800.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect it's an issue with the device rather than the PM but could be wrong.

Some are saying there's an issue with the 910 chip placement, but if that was the case why does it pick up a cadence sensor from further away than the Stages.

On reflection it's probably a combination of issues with both. Annoying as I'd much prefer to only have to funk about one device during a race.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's the 910. I have use my 910 and 510 with my Garmin Vector PM and the 910 has dropouts every mile while the 510 will have none.

Then I got a 920 and have absolutely no dropouts on the same bike and PM.
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt and Stages. Anybody have experience with it yet? [karlw2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any others have experience with the combination yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had similar issues with Stages PM & 910XT and to a lesser extent with a Edge 500. With 910XT the packet drops were so frequent the power file was unusable. With edge 500 it was ok but there were some drops in many rides.

I raised support tickets with both companies, I found Stages is quite more responsive than garmin. It wasn't in Garmin's interest to help me with my Stages 6 months before they launched their pedal based PM and they didn't help much. Stages being a start up corp couldn't test quickly and they cannot openly blame garmin as garmin is a competitor but also their ANT+ chipset supplier (and the only one btw).

I found and concluded that 910XT (and Edge 500) uses an older ANT+ chipset than Stages PM does.
Older chipset has less RF channels and doesn't pair as well with newer devices using newer chipset. Stages support page came to similar conclusion several months later. See what they wrote about HRM and ANT+ pairing.

What I really don't like is that Garmin got rewarded with more business from me because of poor backward compatibility design & poor customer service by my buying yet another device: a edge 510. The packet drops issues disappeared with Edge 510. Every file is solid with no drops.Edge 510 use newer chipset and it pairs flawlessly with Stages PM.

I expect 920XT to have newer chipset and pair quite better but haven't had time to research and try it out. 920XT seems much more friendly in terms of uploading rides and runs up . Between shaky garmin connect sw and the 910XT, I often have to debug stuff to upload all files. I won't buy a 920XT until I figure out how it pairs with Stages PM and which chipset it has.
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt and Stages. Anybody have experience with it yet? [Asteryx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I now own two stages, a 920 and a 510.

920 has frequent drops and the occasional full disconnect.

Even having trouble with the 510. Multiple drops on a ride this morning.

Not sure if it's stages or garmins issue, but I'll be calling both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suspect Garmin first. Stages may have issues but garmin has issues for sure all the time.

This morning I'm having a hard time getting the 910XT just uploading last week's worth of run and swim (no bike rides unfortunately). They're all in the 910xt history folder and just don't show up in garminconnect. Uploading should be easy - they need to learn to code.
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt and Stages. Anybody have experience with it yet? [Asteryx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
have issues with the Garmin 500 where it will show no power or will go to 0 on a semi-regular basis.. usually picks right back up but there have been a few times where it just went completely stupid.... frustrating for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I have the same set up and have found no issues with either Garmin unit. The Stages finds and connects easily - except when the battery runs out which has happened twice in the last month.

My road bike Powertap is of course fantastic with no issues either.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3

Quote Reply
Re: 920xt and Stages. Anybody have experience with it yet? [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, I was getting frequent drops and all out disconnects.

Was on the phone with Garmin, we noticed that the 2.7 firmware hadn't installed yet though I went through the process. We got it installed. After it wouldn't connect to any ant devices. Just wouldn't find them.

Garmin sent me a new unit. It connected and was fairly stable on one trainer ride. One or two drops. Definitely will happen when I sit up with my hand around my waist. So better but not flawless.

I have to say that so far I'm not blown away by the 920. The buttons seem way to easy to press. I'm wondering what the experience will be with a wetsuit. Whether the start/stop or lap buttons, or heck the power button, will get pressed by the wetsuit coming off.

Anybody try it with a wetsuit yet?
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt and Stages (Or wetsuit). Anybody have experience with it yet? [Max Daddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just picked up a stages after hearing it was just as good as the quarq I had previously used (I changed crank lengths). So far my 920 won't find it after repeated attempts but my 510 DOES find it, although it doesn't pick up cadence. So very, very frustrating.
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt and Stages (Or wetsuit). Anybody have experience with it yet? [treimink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stages is not as "good" as quarq. I knew I'd be giving up left right, but I was always within 1 or 2 percent there anyway.

Stages connection issues are frustrating. Quarq never dropped. Wish I hadn't switched.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Max Daddy wrote:
Anybody try it with a wetsuit yet?

I have. Open water swim training, but not a race situation.

The buttons did not get pushed in my "just swimming" situation, and I kinda think they wont as they are down on the side of the watch far enough.

One thing I did notice was that the band cut a good sore into my wrist near the clasp. That never happened with my 910.

In a race situation where you are trying to strip the wetsuit fast? I don't know yet.
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt and Stages. Anybody have experience with it yet? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Give the Velcro band a try. So far I like it.
Quote Reply