Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do I dare ship a bike to my FPO address?
Quote | Reply
In case no one has heard me whine already (reference: Cry like a little biatch thread), I'm on deployment for what feels like an eternity. In an effort to kill time, improve myself, and have something to work towards, I'm training for a HIM shortly after I'm scheduled to get home. The spinning bikes I have access to are, in a word, terrible (plus they're spin bikes) and I'm concerned about jumping on my normal saddle/bike with less than 1 month's training on it for a 56-mile bike leg o' misery.

My wife offered to take my B14 to the LBS and have them sell us a hard case and pack/ship it to my FPO address, but I'm worried about the following things:
1) Bike getting damaged in shipping
2) Bike getting damaged beyond all economical repair in shipping
3) Bike getting disintegrated during shipping and
4) Rebuilding once it arrives.

For those of you who have never been at an FPO address, the Post Office would deliver the "package" to a local hub, where it would be handled by disgruntled postal workers and subsequently loaded on either a ship, plane, or (most likely) helicopter for delivery...

Would you dare? Please take the following into consideration: training on a spin bike will be miserable for me (I'm small i.e. 48cm frame at home, and no matter how I adjust these stupid spin bikes, they're always slightly too large for me).
Quote Reply
Re: Do I dare ship a bike to my FPO address? [tacetman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rather than send your nice bike, I'd look for an old beater on here or likely Ebay and have them ship it there. From previous experience, since you're forced to use USPS, if it isn't sent Priority, you may be home before the bike gets there. With that in mind, shipping was always hit or miss with me to APO and/or FPO. Sometimes things were pristine...sometimes a mangled mess. If it's mangled, at least you don't have to worry about replacing your bike when you get home and still having to train prior to the HIM.

When I was deployed, I brought shoes with SPD cleats for the spin bikes and just focused on swim, run, and did plyometrics/yoga/weights for legs. If they have an ArcTrainer at your deployed location, that's a good cross-training workout that I hope for. I always considered having a saddle shipped to me that I'd install on one of the spin bikes...but never got that far. You can easily have the level of fitness needed when you return to just have to get your rear (pun intended) into shape for a few hours in the saddle.

Also, you will need to assemble a bike (if going Ebay route) that you may not have the tools for and I assume have a stationary trainer mailed out as well. I think it probably won't be worth your while. Hope it helps...
Quote Reply
Re: Do I dare ship a bike to my FPO address? [ryancr711] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been thinking about the beater bike option...but then I start getting ideas to go ahead and buy my post-deployment present (upgrade) and send THAT out here...hoo boy.

Unfortunately I'm screwed on swimming already (no pool on the boat), so I'm hoping to blast the run AND bike. Several of my colleagues brought their bikes out here and trainers, so I could borrow one of theirs. I should have just loaded mine before we left but I never imagined their hare-brained trainer idea would work, but lo and behold...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have sent mine multiple times to my APO/FPO no issues.
I pack it in 2 boxes -frame (box 1) and -Wheels (box 2)

be sure to look at box dimensions to make it priority mail will save you a week or two in delivery time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should have brought it with you from the beginning. I packed up my 2008 P3 in a Vaughn Hockey bag and brought it along. As for shipping, not sure if you will get a hard case under the 130" or 132" inch requirements. I worked in the post office at an APO for 2 years, in Korea, and we took care of things, but it really depends on where you are at. How much would you ensure it for? If it is over I believe $2,500 it is cheaper to send it USPS Registered Mail, and that will get taken care of a lot better. No matter what bike you send via USPS spend the money and put insurance on it.

Also, if you are buying an upgrade when you get back then definitely send out the current bike. Best bet is like someone else mentioned, box up bike in one box, wheels in another, and I guess trainer in a third?

How much time do you have left out there? And depending where you are, might be better to have someone stationed overseas "close" to you to buy the trainer and send it to you to save time on shipping, and probably quite a bit of money as it could go MPS (free shipping).

Just my thoughts, let me know if you have any questions, lucky for you I have experience taking a bike down range and working in an APO post office.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Do I dare ship a bike to my FPO address? [afbadbrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know, I know...hindsight is 20/20 and I would have bet big money that it would have wound up disassembled stuffed in a corner somewhere, and my grouchy, salty roommates would have hated me for it. Also my wife has been riding it in my absence, hence the thought of buying a new one...

To answer your questions, I'll just borrow a trainer, so all I need to worry about are bike and wheels and re-build on the back end. I have no problem buying tools from Amazon and having them sent out here, either (can't imagine I will need more than allen keys, pedal wrench, maybe a chain tool?).

7-8 months left, and my "A" race is in 8.5...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may have a different experience, but I just had two bikes shipped to an APO (well, it started as an APO then changed, read on) and probably would have come out cheaper buying a new one here (here=Okinawa Japan). I had both bikes (one road, one tri) professionally broke down and placed into bike boxes (eBike boxes) at a LBS (Louisville, KY). My wife took them to the post office and paid for the most expensive option (including insurance). After making it from Louisville KY to California (took 5 weeks), the boxes then both magically appeared at my front door step (Louisville). The post office had no clue why and told my wife to give them back to them so they could try again. Yeah... not happening. It took her 5 hours to get a refund. She then told me to book a hotel for a weekend, which I did, and then she paid out the nose to ship them (FEDEX Air) to the hotel. Got here in 4 days.

So from start to finish, it took 7 weeks,2 different shipping businesses, a weekend at a hotel, and more money than I want to admit to get my two bikes to Okinawa. I don't know how much of the problem to blame on the post office or the fact that shipping to Okinawa is a major PITA, but FEDEX had no problem getting it to a regular address on island. FWIW, both bikes (and boxes) made it in great shape and I've been riding both bikes ever since. YMMV and good luck.
Last edited by: MOP_Roy: Nov 2, 14 0:45
Quote Reply