Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bontrager aura 5 and rl wheel service
Quote | Reply
I am looking into replacing the wheels bearings on both sets of my bontrager wheels with ceramic bearings but as silly as this may sound I cannot get into the hubs. Is there anyone out there that can help me?
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager aura 5 and rl wheel service [ddimaline] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try contacting Carl from Trek on this forum. He may have some insight into the Bontrager wheels.

Alex Arman

Strava
Last edited by: doublea334: Oct 31, 14 11:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm interested in this as well. I have a set of RXL's and couldn't figure out how to get the hubs open either. Im starting to think that maybe these hubs are completely sealed off and bearings can't be replaced...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the official answer.

Beyond that, there's always Google. Various vids and posts out there, none of which I can vouch for.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager aura 5 and rl wheel service [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl

Can you at least advise me how to get into the hubs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't want to risk putting you in a warranty-voiding situation, so no, sorry.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand thank you Carl
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ddimaline wrote:
I am looking into replacing the wheels bearings on both sets of my bontrager wheels with ceramic bearings but as silly as this may sound I cannot get into the hubs. Is there anyone out there that can help me?

Why bother? Ceramic bearings in bike applications are basically "snake oil" anyway.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Oct 31, 14 15:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got plenty of wheels and would be more than happy to void my warranty on these RXLS as my 11spd hub is coming loose on my rear wheel and I need to figure out how to secure it again. I try to never take my equipment to the local bike shops and do most work to them myself due to poor experiences. I'd like to learn how to work on these myself and become familiar with how they're put together. Any help appreciated! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager aura 5 and rl wheel service [masa757] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if your specific issue would be addressed here, but the Park Tool how-to's are a great resource for general service knowledge.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah Its really just these RXL's that are giving me a hard time... The hub wiggles when the wheel is out of the dropouts. I looked for a way to tighten it but 5mm hexes dont fit into the ends and the hub seems pretty much sealed off... so I really just did not know where to begin on how to take apart or put together this RXL hub.
Quote Reply