Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Today's WSJ article on Meb and how he uses "a digestive aid to speed his metabolism"
Quote | Reply
What caught my eye was this line: "He [Meb] took a digestive aid-commonly used among elite athletes-to speed his metabolism and help him lose the 7 pounds he want's to drop before [the] New York [Marathon]."

That is a lot of weight off of his small frame and I wonder if anybody knows exactly what he takes?

Does anybody use a metabolism booster to get to race weight?
Last edited by: tiptopshop: Oct 31, 14 10:23
Quote Reply
Re: Today's WSJ article on Meb and how the uses "a digestive aid to speed his metabolism" [tiptopshop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Today's WSJ article on Meb and how the uses "a digestive aid to speed his metabolism" [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In these parts it seems meth is the metabolism booster of choice
Quote Reply
Re: Today's WSJ article on Meb and how he uses "a digestive aid to speed his metabolism" [tiptopshop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coffee...... I use it before every race and "drop" at least 7lbs ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Today's WSJ article on Meb and how he uses "a digestive aid to speed his metabolism" [tiptopshop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering that as well. Especially the part about wanting to drop from 129 to 122. I see him running throughout the year, sometimes without a shirt, and he looks ripped and lean pretty much all the time.

Although I remember before boston this year he looked even thinner, although I couldn't quite figure out how.

I wonder if a portion of that seven pounds lost is upper body muscle? Maybe it develops during training, but is more of a hindrance on race day?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Salmonella, its all the rage
Quote Reply
Re: Today's WSJ article on Meb and how he uses "a digestive aid to speed his metabolism" [-Mike-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
could he just be using something to clear his bowels?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

tiptopshop wrote:
What caught my eye was this line: "He [Meb] took a digestive aid-commonly used among elite athletes-to speed his metabolism and help him lose the 7 pounds he want's to drop before [the] New York [Marathon]."

That is a lot of weight off of his small frame and I wonder if anybody knows exactly what he takes?

No personal experience here, but I'm guessing L-carnitine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Baking Soda, it is what the track bike racers use to limit lactic acid build up, but it also has other cough, cough, diarrhea properties..So he can kill two birds with one box of arm and hammer!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Today's WSJ article on Meb and how he uses "a digestive aid to speed his metabolism" [joggernut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe since it acts as a fat transport. Maybe magnesium which relaxes the muscles, especially the intestines
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tiptopshop wrote:

This

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Today's WSJ article on Meb and how he uses "a digestive aid to speed his metabolism" [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to spell it like Tawny pronounces it. Skowty pawty?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Today's WSJ article on Meb and how he uses "a digestive aid to speed his metabolism" [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The lunge potty sounds so much more exciting, though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ross Tucker was featured in an interview on Deadspin's Fittish. The article discusses carb-loading, and Tucker mentions that for every ~2 lb increase in carbohydrate consumption, one can expect to gain an average of 6-8 lbs of water weight. So, could he just be taking a laxative or dieuretic?

http://fittish.deadspin.com/...i-1652789860/+kylenw
Last edited by: soulfresca: Oct 31, 14 14:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe it's this: http://www.generationucan.com/media.html
I have no idea what that stuff is, however.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So he wasn't losing fat just dehydrating himself?
Quote Reply
Re: Today's WSJ article on Meb and how he uses "a digestive aid to speed his metabolism" [Run Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run Jim wrote:
Maybe it's this: http://www.generationucan.com/media.html
I have no idea what that stuff is, however.

It's fancy corn starch. I've actually been quite pleased with it. Weird thing: it mixes better the colder the water is. Truth.
Quote Reply
Re: Today's WSJ article on Meb and how he uses "a digestive aid to speed his metabolism" [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Today's WSJ article on Meb and how he uses "a digestive aid to speed his metabolism" [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatever I ate on my business trip this week sure helped me lose about 7 pounds. My entire system cleared out.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Today's WSJ article on Meb and how he uses "a digestive aid to speed his metabolism" [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
http://authoritynutrition.com/resistant-starch-101/

Thanks. Interesting read. This was particularly interesting to me:

Quote:
The bacteria in the intestine (the gut flora) outnumber the body’s cells 10 to 1. In that respect, we are only 10% human.
Whereas most foods we eat feed only 10% of our cells, fermentable fibers and resistant starches feed the other 90%.
Quote Reply
Re: Today's WSJ article on Meb and how he uses "a digestive aid to speed his metabolism" [USPro Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USPro Tri wrote:
coffee...... I use it before every race and "drop" at least 7lbs ;-)

I hope not all at once, that sounds painful!
Quote Reply
Re: Today's WSJ article on Meb and how he uses "a digestive aid to speed his metabolism" [JayZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you need to use the Squatty Potty, then you can get out at least 10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could it be the "Squad Potty" ???
Quote Reply
Re: Today's WSJ article on Meb and how he uses "a digestive aid to speed his metabolism" [soulfresca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
soulfresca wrote:
Ross Tucker was featured in an interview on Deadspin's Fittish. The article discusses carb-loading, and Tucker mentions that for every ~2 lb increase in carbohydrate consumption, one can expect to gain an average of 6-8 lbs of water weight. So, could he just be taking a laxative or dieuretic?

http://fittish.deadspin.com/...i-1652789860/+kylenw

Pretty sure dieuretics are banned since they can be used as a masking agent for PED's.
Quote Reply