Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Abhorrent Article on letsrun.com [Anando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Letsrun front page is a great site that covers all aspects of elite running more depth than almost any other site on the web. The founders and passionate former sub-elite / elite guys and their love for the sport is self-evident.

Letsrun forum is a cesspit that reminds you that most people heavily involved in competitive team running - the type of people who actually like to gossip about the elite levels of the sport rather than just the occasional weekend warrior types - are insecure 13-19 year old guys. The fact the forum's anonymous and very sporadically moderated means that particularly loathsome demographic gets free reign to be as sexist, racist, ill-informed and immature as you'd fear.

The founders seem to like the forum that way as it drives their page views. So I'm conflicted.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Abhorrent Article on letsrun.com [Anando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From a guy whose father spent many years in a chair...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Abhorrent Article on letsrun.com [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
and any running event other than the 100/200 and on occasion the 400. This opinion is that of the general population as well.

This is a whole other discussion. In the U.S., the ONLY time that there is any major coverage and exposure of running is during the Olympic Games. A long time ago, NBC decided, that they would ONLY cover the 100 - 400 sprints. You may get a bit or occasional 800m but that's rare. For a 100m dash race that taks 10 sec. they will show about 10 re-runs and slow motion analysis and then interviews with the top placers - the whole thing takes 10 - 15 mins of real time.

What's happened is that several generation of Americans have had NO exposure to any middle or distance running events. None! Is this because they are not interested in watching or did NBC decide that they would not be interested in watching?

20 million Americans ran a 5K running race/event or longer last year. That's a pretty big potential audience!

I am not sure why we all think that because someone DOES a 5k or an Ironman, that person wants to WATCH a 5k or an Ironman. Endurance and middle distance racing is not a spectator sport. Seriously, watching about 5 minutes of Kona coverage was as interesting as a third grade spelling bee. I would rather watch a decent football game than a world marathon record. I am far more impressed by the marathon record, but it does not mean I have to, or want to, watch it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next