Prev Next
Re: Rita Jeptoo Positive for Banned Substance [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Svein Tuft is clean!
Quote Reply
Re: Rita Jeptoo Positive for Banned Substance [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Printer wrote:
These positive tests are an affront to all the clean pro's. Wait a minute, are there any clean pro's still out there?

I know of one, and she managed to win a race too.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Rita Jeptoo Positive for Banned Substance [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like her A sample was positive for EPO. It is a good bet that the out of competition test was not taken in Kenya.

https://sports.yahoo.com/...-163609572--spt.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad she got busted but shouldn't the "news leak" wait until the B sample has also been tested? She's already been judged by a kangaroo court. I'm wondering if WMM wanted the news to leak so they wouldn't have to hand her the $500K for winning the WMM crown? Edit: WMM was scheduled to hand her a check for $500K this Sunday at the NYC marathon but the award has now been postponed!
Last edited by: DC Pattie: Oct 31, 14 17:12
Quote Reply
Re: Rita Jeptoo Positive for Banned Substance [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just based on my experience with cycling doesn't it always get announced before the B sample is tested?
Quote Reply
Re: Rita Jeptoo Positive for Banned Substance [Skibum232] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skibum232 wrote:
Printer wrote:
These positive tests are an affront to all the clean pro's. Wait a minute, are there any clean pro's still out there?

Clean pro's definitely exist! I think they reside on the same island as the Yeti, Nessie, Big Foot, the female orgasm....

Hahahahahaaaa
Quote Reply
Re: Rita Jeptoo Positive for Banned Substance [Fortius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fortius wrote:
Svein Tuft is clean!
That would be nice.
But many assumed Michael Barry and Ryder H were clean too.... :(
Quote Reply
Re: Rita Jeptoo Positive for Banned Substance [SpeedNeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpeedNeeder wrote:
Skibum232 wrote:
Printer wrote:

Clean pro's definitely exist! I think they reside on the same island as the Yeti, Nessie, Big Foot, the female orgasm....

Hahahahahaaaa

Starky is clean, he even passed a lie detector test!

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Rita Jeptoo Positive for Banned Substance [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
denali2001 wrote:
Serious question, has a b sample ever come back clean? I know there have been times when the b sample was corrupted and the athlete was cleared, but any legitimate negatives?

Yes, there have been some B samples that come back 'clean' or have issues- such as lost somehow, not properly stored, etc. and athletes get off on technicalities. In order for an athlete to test positive for many doping products they have to much higher than normal limits, often multiple standard deviations higher, so many athletes can dope, just not take a lot of it. Some drugs have near zero levels, so athletes better be very careful when using those drugs- such as Contador and Clenbuterol. Sometimes when the B sample comes back 'clean,' it's because the A sample might have just been above the minimum threshold for a positive test and the B sample comes just under the threshold when tested- as tests can have margin's of error, too.

Marion Jones had a postive A for EPO, but the B came back negative. That being said, she admitted to using EPO throughout her career after this result when Balco blew up.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...ack%20Field&sc=0

I remember reading some articles over the years by laboratory workers/experts that test doping samples. Basically, they often say that they have seen hundreds, even thousands of tests that show doping, as the levels are never found in clean athletes or the human body population, but the positive threshold level gives the extreme benefit of the doubt to the athlete. The athletes know this and take 'just enough' to not get caught. Cyclist, Bernard Kohl, revealed the following about his 'manager'.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...bed-anti-doping-labs

Bernhard Kohl has confirmed reports that his former manager Stefan Matschiner bribed anti-doping laboratories to analyze samples in order to determine how best to avoid a positive doping control.
Matschiner "had samples analysed so that we knew how far we could go and still not be caught,“ Kohl told Austrian newspaper Kurier.
Kohl said he had two samples tested, one for EPO and one for testosterone. "Then I knew: I can inject so-and-so much of each substance."
Matschiner is a former track athlete and was still heavily involved in the track and field scene. In connection with the track world championships starting this weekend in Berlin, he told the German television broadcasterARD that he had bribed lab workers. He allegedly paid from 150 to 500 Euros per sample.
Quote Reply
Re: Rita Jeptoo Positive for Banned Substance [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
denali2001 wrote:
Serious question, has a b sample ever come back clean? I know there have been times when the b sample was corrupted and the athlete was cleared, but any legitimate negatives?
It's exceptionally rare. The B sample test is only performed if requested by the athlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Rita Jeptoo Positive for Banned Substance [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
Just based on my experience with cycling doesn't it always get announced before the B sample is tested?
The only requirement for public announcement is that the athlete and relevant authorities must be informed beforehand, and that it must be made public within 20 days of the adverse analytical finding or from a hearing if requested in a timely manner.

It's against WADA code NOT to disclose such a finding.

The public record must state the name of the athlete, the nature of the anti-doping violation including the substance or method used, and the consequences (i.e. sanction imposed).
Quote Reply
Re: Rita Jeptoo Positive for Banned Substance [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
tinytri wrote:
Maybe I am just naive, but I am so saddened each time I hear this. I get so disappointed when someone in sport (anyone I look up to or otherwise) ends up testing positive for one banned substance or another.

Same here so naive or not you're not alone. I don't like dwelling on the topic and usually tend to forget about it during periods without positive results but always very disappointed when someone, especially a leading athlete, tests positive.

+1.

Ask me if athletes cheat, and I know the answer is "yes." Tell me a specific name, I'm nevertheless saddened.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeptoo's B sample confirms presence of EPO.

http://www.runnersworld.com/...irms-presence-of-epo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And queue the standard story about how it was just a way to recover from a setback (maternity in this case)... prior to that they were clean. The predictability is comical if not sad.

Quote Reply
Re: Rita Jeptoo Positive for Banned Substance [dogmile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Time for her to become a cyclist

They said it would be fun…fun they said

Quote Reply
Re: Rita Jeptoo Positive for Banned Substance [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeptoo received a two-year ban. The A and B samples both tested positive for EPO.

http://espn.go.com/sports/endurance/story/_/id/12252671/boston-marathon-chicago-marathon-champ-rita-jeptoo-banned-2-years-doping
Quote Reply
Re: Rita Jeptoo Positive for Banned Substance [tinytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Maybe I am just naive, but I am so saddened each time I hear this. I get so disappointed when someone in sport (anyone I look up to or otherwise) ends up testing positive for one banned substance or another.

Me too. They're people you look up to, and then you find out they're cheaters. It is incredibly disappointing.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Rita Jeptoo Positive for Banned Substance [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im personally a fan of the Lifetime Ban! Long Term effects are real. Why are there so many cheaters getting to stay employeed? They can go find a different job.
Quote Reply
Re: Rita Jeptoo Positive for Banned Substance [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:

Quote:

Me too. They're people you look up to, and then you find out they're cheaters. It is incredibly disappointing.

I find it sad, too, but at least one of the top runners in the world was exposed for cheating and punished. I hope that serves as a deterrent to many of the other top runners, especially in her country.

Alas, I fear the fame, prestige, and money that comes with being a top runner will probably overcome the fear of getting caught, especially in countries where they have nothing to lose.
Quote Reply

Prev Next