Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wide bike shoes?
Quote | Reply
Hey all,
I've had a nagging foot issue that turns out to be a mild Morton's Neuroma.
Oddly enough, it only really expresses itself after about 1.5-2 hours on the bike.
Once it flares up, it's game over for any running after that.

So, the doc looked at my feet in my running shoes (Brooks Pureflow) and thought all was well.

Looked at my feet in my bike shoes and said they were too narrow and were squishing my feet. He also said I could probably stand to have a pro fitter look at cleat placement. Currently I'm using LG Tri Speed shoes. If it is the bike shoes, I guess I need new ones.

Are there bike shoes that have a wider toe-box or forefoot?
At this point I don't care about tri vs. road shoe, just something that works.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Wide bike shoes? [ayontz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bontrager rl inform work for me. I have size 14 (or 15 depending on the brand) wide feet and these work well for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the same problem for ages, tried plenty of shoes but none of them wide enough, my feet like to spread!

So, I got the widest shoes I could find (northwave tribute) then on both the inside and the outside at the point of the metatarsal heads, which will probably be the widest point of your foot, I cut vertical lines down the side of the shoe. About 1-2 inches along the shoe, and about an inch in height.
Now, my shoes feel amazing!
My feet spread nicely as the shoe opens up at this point.
Give it a try! If you are getting new shoes, what have you got to loose?

Just don't make the cuts with your foot in it ;)

Running analysis based in Leeds UK.
http://www.trimechanics.co.uk

https://www.facebook.com/trimechanics
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I have heard/read somewhere that BONT shoes have a wider toe box.

http://www.bont.com/Cycling/

Take care
YouYou
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Northwave shoes mentioned above are a good option, however I've had luck with Lake CX237 Wide on someone with a 4E width running shoe before, to date it seems the most accommodating. Otherwise, I think you can always go with some custom Bont shoes, D2, or Rocket 7's if you're not on a budget.

Feel free to PM me or email me if you have any questions...
Quote Reply
Re: Wide bike shoes? [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to add Riivo to that list.

Quote Reply
Re: Wide bike shoes? [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all.
I'll take a look at the Northwave, Lake, and Bontrager.

I'm not on a budget, but $800-$1400 for shoes, a la D2, Rocket 7, and Riivo seems a little extreme.

I know it's my feet and I only get 1 set for life, but still...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano r170 has a wide toe box but it is not the firmest feeling shoe out there. Bont, although expensive, are my go to shoes for the past 2 years. They can be custom ordered to your specs or just purchased in whatever size in either narrow or wide. Just perfect fit and great amount of stiffness which made it worth it in my opinion. Custom made shoes are the greatest though! :)
Last edited by: masa757: Oct 31, 14 10:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sidi offers several of their models in the "mega" (wide) version.

-Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Wide bike shoes? [WiScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Sidi Mega.... Works well.

Quote | Reply
Shimano TR-60s are decently wide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend Bont Vaypors. Once you get the heat molding correct they are like slippers. Toe box is wider and not the typical shape of other cycling shoes. Very light and super stiff

Quote | Reply
If you aren't on a budget you could take a look at the s-works trivents. I find that they fit much wider than normal specialized shoes. Probably not as wide as a dedicated wide shoe like the sidi mega's...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found the Mavic Tri Race to have a gigantic toe box. I typically need very wide shoes, but these were almost too wide. I fit perfectly in the LG Tri-300s. The Mavic Tri Race were almost too wide for me. There are a few Mavic road shoes with the same shape. You might prefer those because the Tri Race has a very flexible sole.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Bont shoes are the way to go. I would highly recommend.
Quote Reply
Re: Wide bike shoes? [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sidi Megas are super wide. Also Lake Cycling makes wide shoes. I wear a 4E width and these fit great
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can recommend bont. I moved from s works road shoes to bont vaypor + wide and I'm very happy. No more squished feet. It took a few moulding to get the fit just right, same price as regular high end road shoes. If you measure your feet as per the instructions on bontcycling.com website you can see where you are on the width spectrum. The bont riot tri shoes are also supposed to be excellent but I haven't tried them and I think they just come in the regular bont width.
Quote Reply