Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Swimmers with "OK" technique...how much does swimming alot help [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still in the 40-44's, for now. I age up on January 1.

TrisliceRS outtouched me in our virtual 200 free smackdown - he went 2:11 low, I did a 2:11.45. (Oh and TSRS is in the 45-49's...)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers with "OK" technique...how much does swimming alot help [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

TrisliceRS outtouched me in our virtual 200 free smackdown - he went 2:11 low, I did a 2:11.45. (Oh and TSRS is in the 45-49's...)

So now the virtual race to break 2:10???

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers with "OK" technique...how much does swimming alot help [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to clarify, when I say 'flatter', I don't mean flatter in the sense that my legs are more upright. I mean flatter meaning less rotation in the stroke. I feel as if I'm 'swimming too flat' as to coaches would say, when I'm using the PB, meaning that the natural rotation in my stroke is significantly decreased. (Which is again somewhat weird/surprising to me since I train with a vasa trainer a lot, which doesn't emphasize stroke rotation at all.)
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers with "OK" technique...how much does swimming alot help [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Just to clarify, when I say 'flatter', I don't mean flatter in the sense that my legs are more upright. I mean flatter meaning less rotation in the stroke. I feel as if I'm 'swimming too flat' as to coaches would say, when I'm using the PB, meaning that the natural rotation in my stroke is significantly decreased. (Which is again somewhat weird/surprising to me since I train with a vasa trainer a lot, which doesn't emphasize stroke rotation at all.)

Got it. Look up "over the barrel". A young lady that is going to attend Stanford next fall went to more a "over the barrel" stroke and has been on a world record breaking streak ever since.

Sounds like you know the problem. Now work it to get even faster. If people are passing you while you develop it, so be it. You are developing neuro pathways. This doesn't come quick nor easy. Believe me, I hate being passed too.

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers with "OK" technique...how much does swimming alot help [Trentw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trentw wrote:
Thank you and Tigerpaws for the replies. And wow, that is a fast time. In retrospect of this past year, I think some of my aggravation comes down to this. I dropped over an hour off my standalone marathon time in one year (4:24 to a 3:16 this past weekend in Vegas). And honestly I think I only ran over 30 miles per week twice all year. But, I only dropped two minutes off my 1.2 mile swim time over the past year. I hit a few 15K weeks during the peak but probably average around 10K a week. It has been a wonderful journey so I am not complaining. Triathlon has really helped me become a new person. It just makes me a little aggravated being the last one out of the water and not seeing that much improvement compared to the other two disciplines. I plan to hit it hard this December and January and get lessons and probably even a masters class, so I am confident I should see some gains by race season next year. Thank you for the guidance.

To add to Jason and Tiger's responses, I would add that the key to enjoying swimming is to FEEL THE FLOW OF THE WATER OVER YOUR BODY. Enjoying the feel of the water is the key to enjoying swimming at any speed: relax and enjoy the flow. And then, as you gain power in the water, imagine yourself as a powerful swimmer. I do this almost every workout whenever I'm trying to swim fast: if i'm doing fly, i'm Michael Phelps, if backstroke i'm Irie Ryosuke the great Japanese backstroker, on breast i am Brendan Hansen, on freestyle i am Grant Hackett, the great Aussie distance freestyler.

Be who you want to be.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers with "OK" technique...how much does swimming alot help [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good point, when I'm doing hard sets, especially fly sets, I do visualize what an "ideal" stroke would look like and try to do that. the "Phelps" style, which is very low and forward, breathing every stroke, with a really strong front end, is what usually comes to mind.

I'm a shittly breaststroker. Usually I'm just trying not to get lapped by the pregnant lady in my lane (said pregnant lady did a 2:58 for her 200 breast at the last meet...)

backstroke, I usually pretend I'm ryan lochte. not because Lochte is fast (because he is), just that my wife thinks he's really cute....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Nov 21, 14 12:18
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers with "OK" technique...how much does swimming alot help [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
That's a good point, when I'm doing hard sets, especially fly sets, I do visualize what an "ideal" stroke would look like and try to do that. the "Phelps" style, which is very low and forward, breathing every stroke, with a really strong front end, is what usually comes to mind.

I'm a shitty breaststroker. Usually I'm just trying not to get lapped by the pregnant lady in my lane (said pregnant lady did a 2:58 for her 200 breast at the last meet...)

backstroke, I usually pretend I'm ryan lochte. not because Lochte is fast (because he is), just that my wife thinks he's really cute....

Since you're always swim in meters, I'm guessing the preggo girl did 2:58 for 200 scm??? Damn, that is fast espec given she's prob not supposed to get her HR over around 75%??? Sh*t, she'd prob be going 2:30-ish if going all out, which is close to world class!!!

I like Ryosuke cause he is just so, so, so smooth that, even at WR 200 m pace, his arms don't even splash when entering the water, except in his final 25 meters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cslxxJU-A5U

Runners talk about "poetry in motion" (PIM), and I've seen one or two runners who i would put in the PIM category, but I firmly believe swimmers like Irie have the most graceful runners beat in the PIM dept, since swimming is just so much more complex.

Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers with "OK" technique...how much does swimming alot help [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yea, i've seen him swim, and he's ridiculously smooth. He's probably technically the best in the world right now. Grevers is bloody fast too, but he's a beast.

Pretty sure she was pushing it above 75% of max in her swim, although At her peak in college, she was probably a low / mid 2:40's for her 200 breast. I'll have to ask her.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
swimming is 100% fitness and 100% technique.

Love to see a good swimming thread.

The post above came early, and is spot on. If you have the time, you may as well try to develop good technique. Add volume to it, and you're on the right path.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
yea, i've seen him swim, and he's ridiculously smooth. He's probably technically the best in the world right now. Grevers is bloody fast too, but he's a beast. .

Not the fastest atm though - mitch Larkin won our (Aust) national SC champs 200bk in.....1:47:72. Not far off the 09 WR in the super suits. Smokin fast! Daylight second (1;54). He went 49:xx in the 100 as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers with "OK" technique...how much does swimming alot help [gunsbuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Aussies seemed like they were going through a rough patch for a bit, but this year they certainly seem to have turned the program around. Maybe not quite the depth in men's distance free that they've had in years past, but the sprint and stroke events have come strong, men's and womens...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers with "OK" technique...how much does swimming alot help [gunsbuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can probably appreciate this one, Michael mcbroom swam a 17:49 for a 2000 yd test set in practice... Split at the 1650 was 14:43 which converts pretty much on the nose to a 14:43 for a 1500 scm.

That's in practice!!

http://swimswam.com/...d-by-swimoutlet-com/

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Nov 21, 14 20:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's scary!

The 1500 looks like having some real depth next year and leading into Rio. Same SC champ's, Jordan Harrison (trains at Miami in Queensland under Dennis C) went 14:26:xx. Fastest in world this year and knocked off Kieren Perkins from 2nd in our all time fastest for SC (only behind Hackett).
Last edited by: gunsbuns: Nov 21, 14 20:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
You can probably appreciate this one, Michael cbroom swam a 17:49 for a 2000 yd test set in practice... Split at the 1650 was 14:43 which converts pretty much on the nose to a 14:43 for a 1500 scm.

That's in practice!!

http://swimswam.com/...d-by-swimoutlet-com/

Holy hot sh*t swimming Batman!!! That's 53.45/100 scy overall, and they said he went faster the last 300. He could easily contend for Hackett's scm record of 14:10:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These guys are pretty good examples of how "swimming a lot" does make a difference. They have "ok" technique too :)
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers with "OK" technique...how much does swimming alot help [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"So even if I'm not super slow with a PB, I'm still surprised with how fast everyone else became once they started using the PB, in that folks who I was gapping by nearly an entire length in a 200, were suddenly at my pace if they used a PB and I didn't. "

Why would their drastically increased speed surprise you? Are you not aware that, while doing next to nothing to improve any aspect of their technique, using a PB instantly bestows upon them a massive amount of additional swim-specific fitness and strength, similar to what your Vasa erg did for you? Not to rub it in further, but months training on a $4K Vasa erg vs 3 seconds to "install" a $12.99 PB...yeah!

The above is just a little pink of course...but you've got some thinking to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gunsbuns wrote:
These guys are pretty good examples of how "swimming a lot" does make a difference. They have "ok" technique too :)

Ya, definitely, definitely, no question the world-class distance swimmers are going 80 to 100K per wk, just a huge, huge amount of swimming. Shoot, McBroom prob warms up with a 2000 scy free in a leisurely 22-24 min, or 1:06 to 1:12/100 scy warm-up pace:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
gunsbuns wrote:

Ya, definitely, definitely, no question the world-class distance swimmers are going 80 to 100K per wk, just a huge, huge amount of swimming. Shoot, McBroom prob warms up with a 2000 scy free in a leisurely 22-24 min, or 1:06 to 1:12/100 scy warm-up pace:)

Katie Ledecky is 60-75 on any given week. Curious to watch how Stanford develops her.

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 100k weeks aren't as in fashion as they used to be, just too hard to consistently swim fast on that kind of yardage.

It's mostly just the open water guys doing the really insane distances now, from what I've read.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
The 100k weeks aren't as in fashion as they used to be, just too hard to consistently swim fast on that kind of yardage. It's mostly just the open water guys doing the really insane distances now, from what I've read.

Well, the somewhat reduced yardage makes sense to me for sure. The 60-75K you quoted for Ledecky is still a sh*t load of swimming, espec since you're trying to hold most of it at a good pace.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think the secret for her is volume. She's one of those 'once in a generation' talents. Lots of records are gonna fall to her methinks. She can be the highest female Olympic gold medalist ever IMO. Sorry, off topic....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Still though....take it easy on yourself....'not that fast'. Even in the 40-44 last year your time would be 16th fastest in 2013. I'm assuming you competed at collegiate levels in your past? One of my pals who swam at Auburn still jumps in on occasion and laughs at 'man I suck', but there isn't a single person on the pool deck who can touch him. He's about 5'10 or so and over 200 pounds....it ain't muscle either;) I'm thinking 'um we have different litmus tests for slow.' When I look at the top times in these AG's they are chock full of
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Nov 22, 14 3:37
Quote Reply

Prev Next