Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero wheels
Quote | Reply
I am all for free speed. I want to learn from some of the experts on here about wheel choices. Zipp seems to be the most popular but the price tag is a bit to high. I searched alternatives and found HED and FLO to be reasonable. My question is which wheel is faster and what front wheels go with the discs. I also looked into disc covers but I imagine the real disc wheels are much faster. Thanks for the suggestions.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero wheels [USA2018] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are so many variables to consider that you really need to decide a few things before you even get started in this process.

Budget, specific use (road or tri), ypical wind conditions, full carbon or aluminum with carbon fairing, etc... do a little googling, or searching here theres pages and pages of threads.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc covers are exactly as fast as real discs.
Which wheel is fastest is hard to say, depends sometimes on the yaw angles you are going to experience in a race, and what tires you want to use. You can dig around through some of the various tests that have been done to compare:

http://aeroweenie.com/data.html

Zipp and HED are both good, so is Flo. Also consider Boyd, Williams, ENVE etc

The gains you get from the expensive brands tend to be marginal to non-existent sometimes.

USA2018 wrote:
I am all for free speed. I want to learn from some of the experts on here about wheel choices. Zipp seems to be the most popular but the price tag is a bit to high. I searched alternatives and found HED and FLO to be reasonable. My question is which wheel is faster and what front wheels go with the discs. I also looked into disc covers but I imagine the real disc wheels are much faster. Thanks for the suggestions.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think anyone ever regretted buying Zipps or ENVEs. They are consistently nice wheels. HED and Flo also make great wheels that cost less. In my opinion, the HEDs are better in terms of overall quality and design and they have many more options. There are some others companies that have appealing designs, such as Boyd and November that I don't have much experience with, but have seen and heard good things. The Boyd's may be the best option if you think you need carbon clinchers on a budget.

As far as wheel choice goes, you can't go wrong with a 60mm depth. You get most of the aero benefit with a reasonable weight and cross wind stability. You can get a disc, but there really isn't much benefit over adding a wheel cover to 60mm wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a big advocate of aluminum rims with fairings e.g. HED/Flo. Not much, if any, aero penalty to Zipp, cheaper, and better braking.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero wheels [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>I don't think anyone ever regretted buying Zipps or ENVEs.

Using Zipps and then trying Mavic CXR01 wheels, with Exalith II surface, is a night and day difference in wet weather. I'm sure the Zipps are more aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget the November Rail52! I have a pair, and they're wonderful.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently picked up a set of 60/90 FLO's on eBay, hard to beat the $/watt saved!

I built my own disc cover for my old wheels following this DIY thread and will be doing it again. Did it for $50, hard to beat the $/watt saved!

Riding GP4000S/latex tubes for the rolling resistance gains. If you're not aware, there are some other tire options out now.

After every single watt from down below, look into skewers too.

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Re: Aero wheels [dmacandcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for DIY that's awesome. Never saw that before! WIll try it.
Quote Reply