Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Are certain bike paints more aero than others?
Quote | Reply
So this may sound silly...but I heard some people talking about it and the more I thought about it, I would think that certain paints would be more slick in the wind. Specifically, matte vs gloss finish. Yes, it may be a small amount of aero advantage....but with people hiding cables, shaving the hair off their legs, and spending $100's/$1000's of dollars on components to save seconds....I didn't see this covered anywhere. No, this will not force me to go buy another bike...my matte black bike is bad ass looking. Just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: Are certain bike paints more aero than others? [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Black is always faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Are certain bike paints more aero than others? [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure there is some difference. It's also likely that matte is faster than glossy in some situations.

You probably should be more concerned about that one little wrinkle near your belly.... or adjusting angle of your helmet so its' 1mm closer to your back.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Are certain bike paints more aero than others? [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as far as aero dynamics goes, a good smooth finish is probably going to be best, but thats more about the painter then the paint.
I know that dimples are supposed to be more aero, but those are uniform and calculated dimples, thats very different then a bad paint job that is all "orange peely"

A paint with high VOC's (Volitile Organic Compounds/ the stuff that kills the atmosphere) is going to end up being lighter in the end because all the VOCs are going to evaporate out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nascar wraps their cars instead of painting them don't they? I have to believe that car wrap is slower than paint.
So if it doesn't matter much to them it can't matter to an aero bike frame.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugly matte red paint is fastest. I mean that has to be the reason Cervelo chose that color...
Quote Reply