Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Emonda or Madone?
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market for a new bike. It has to be a trek. The price of the two bikes is essentially the same. In order to get the H1 fit, it has to be a high end frame (SLR for the emonda and 7 series for the madone)

I haven't seen any aero tests of the Emonda, but I assume results will be similar to any other non-aero bike, like a tarmac or evo.

The Cervelo RCA whitepaper shows the Madone has about 70g of drag less than a "normal" bike (Evo/Tarmac). The trek white paper seems skewed, since the madone has nicer wheels than the other bikes. There's also this test, but in the photos the madone is on aluminum wheels and the other 3 are shown with carbon wheels (the opposite of the trek whitepaper) https://www.giant-bicycles.com/...mberaerotest_low.pdf

Madone Pros - more aero, Jens seemed to like it
Emonda Pros - Resale might be higher (new model vs the madone that seems to be getting phased out). Lighter (slightly). Brakes are in the normal location.

So, are "normal" brakes and a higher resale value worth going with a slightly slower bike? Are there any reasons to think the emonda might be close to as aero as the madone?
Quote Reply
Re: Emonda or Madone? [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are they really phasing out the madone? With so much going to aero how can this be?

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brakes on the Madone would be a non-starter for me based on my experience with my Speed Concept. But I also wouldn't buy the Emoda, so I may not be the right person to ask.

Paying a shitton to save a couple (hundred) grams on a frame just doesn't make sense to me. Should be pretty easy to build up any sub 1kg frame below 15lbs with tubular wheels.

If you're racing, then buy whatever is fastest - S5 or if it has to be a Trek, then the Madone. It's just for fun/training, then you should buy whatever you think is the prettiest bike you can afford.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Emonda or Madone? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have thousands of miles on a madone and have had no issues with the brakes. I even have the reportedly crappy 2013 bontrager brakes on carbon clincher rims - the worst of both worlds. All works fine with me, no issues ever on the madone brakes. Perhaps I'm just lucky.
Quote Reply
Re: Emonda or Madone? [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the 2014 madone 7.9. I firkin love it. 14.6 lbs. race ready and aero. What's not to love?
Quote Reply
Re: Emonda or Madone? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The brakes are very very different. The speed concept has a center pull. The madone has direct mount dual pivot.

I'd take the madone every day over the emonda. The madone is actually fairly light and not incredibly aero but better than most.

Velonews has always in the past used same wheels for its aero comparisons, so would expect the same for what you posted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only difference between the brakes on the Madone and Emonda SLR is location of the rear brake. Both are direct mount dual pivot so they use the same brake.

I have a Madone 7 with Sram Red. It builds up to 13.4 pounds with Zipp 303 tubbies. It's a very well rounded bike - I love it. Since I'm on Sram, I have the Bontrager calipers. Front brake is fine, rear is a little mushy. I heard that the Shimano direct mounts are much better so if you are worried about the brakes, go Shimano with your build.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought you were talking about Ebola......

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emonda? LOL. I would get a Crumpton and not have to worry about whether a stock frame will fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Emonda or Madone? [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No problem with the 2013 Madone brakes. A squeeze at moderate speed can lock up the rear wheel .
Last edited by: trekker: Oct 24, 14 19:04
Quote Reply
Re: Emonda or Madone? [trekker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trekker wrote:
No problem with the 2013 Madone brakes. A squeeze at moderate speed can lock up the rear wheel .

True. I locked mine up a number of times in quick-stop situations. Definitely has breaking power (2013 Madone).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride both. Buy your favorite. If you are on the fence about the trade off between aero and weight for your riding/racing needs, then some other factor should help you make your decision.

For me, a 200 gram weight savings on the bike will never help me climb with the really skinny people, but I can use the wattage savings in a flat crit or road race, so I would choose the Madone.
Quote Reply