Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2015 IMFL going to rolling swim start?!
Quote | Reply
I just don't understand this when there is an endless beach to spread out as needed.

2015 registration information.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 IMFL going to rolling swim start?! [trifreemc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except when you need to get a support kayak to a swimmer in the center. With the rolling start the swimming lane is 25 feet wide and it is easy for a kayak to get to swimmers in need.

This was exactly what happened in front of me at IMLP in 2012. Some guy had a panic attack 5 minutes into the swim and none of the lifeguards could navigate through the hoard of swimmers to help. A few good Samaritans sacrificed their race to hold him above water.
Last edited by: MattAune: Oct 24, 14 11:56
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 IMFL going to rolling swim start?! [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattAune wrote:
Except when you need to get a support kayak to a swimmer in the center. With the rolling start the swimming lane is 25 feet wide and it is easy for a kayak to get to swimmers in need.

This was exactly what happened in front of me at IMLP in 2012. Some guy had a panic attack 5 minutes into the swim and none of the lifeguards could navigate through the hoard of swimmers to help. A few good Samaritans sacrificed their race to hold him above water.

Matt, was the guy wearing a wetsuit? I have had panic attacks, even wearing a wetsuit but never to a point of needing rescue. Since the wetsuit holds you afloat I don't understand how people get so panicked that they need rescue. Was the water rough? Just curious...

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 IMFL going to rolling swim start?! [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Full sleeve wetsuit, and very calm water. When I swam up on him he was being held afloat on his back and was pulling on the neck of his wetsuit with both hands trying to breathe. Dozens of swimmers were waving their hand and screaming for a lifeguard, and they saw us but could not safely paddle through that many swimmers.

IMLP is like IMFL, in the sense that with the mass swim start people would spread out across the start line for 100+ feet from dock to shore
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trifreemc wrote:
I just don't understand this when there is an endless beach to spread out as needed.

Registration link says this: *THE 2015 IRONMAN FLORIDA WILL HAVE A ROLLING SWIM START. MORE INFORMATION TO FOLLOWING THE IN COMING MONTHS.

The published 2014 Athlete Guide current as of today says this: Ironman Florida will feature a mass start based on self-seeding.

Since the registration link was out there many months ago and the Athlete Guide is recent I would guess it's going to be a mass start.

Quote Reply
Re: 2015 IMFL going to rolling swim start?! [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
trifreemc wrote:

Registration link says this: *THE 2015 IRONMAN FLORIDA WILL HAVE A ROLLING SWIM START. MORE INFORMATION TO FOLLOWING THE IN COMING MONTHS.

The published 2014 Athlete Guide current as of today says this: Ironman Florida will feature a mass start based on self-seeding.

Since the registration link was out there many months ago and the Athlete Guide is recent I would guess it's going to be a mass start.

2014 Mass Start
2015 Rolling Start

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 IMFL going to rolling swim start?! [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it just goes to show that I am an idiot! :) Sure wish it was this year though. It's a real beat down for us MOP swimmers. And given my age, the 'just get faster' advice isn't going to work.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 IMFL going to rolling swim start?! [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering what you were talking about and figured you'd just misread it. :-)

Maybe it's just me, and I haven't done a non mass start IM (full) yet, but not having my real finishing time on my finishing pic would bug me. It was this way in Augusta for the 1/2 there and I didn't keep that pic for this very reason. Both of my IMFL pics I kept. I'm sure I'd get over it and i know we don't do the race for the pic at the end, but...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you could always photoshop your time..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FinisherPix will adjust your time for an additional $5 (although I didn't pay for it).

After doing Louisville 2x, I did IMFL for this very reason. Or, maybe I was just chasing a PR!! :-)

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 IMFL going to rolling swim start?! [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
FinisherPix will adjust your time for an additional $5 (although I didn't pay for it).

Quote | Reply
trifreemc wrote:

I thought WTC was going to try to do this at as many races as they can as part of their "SwimSmart" initiative.

trifreemc wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but not having my real finishing time on my finishing pic would bug me.

I've never had my actual finish time on the clock for a finisher pic at a WTC or Rev3 race. That being said, I did have a guy a work photoshop my time for IM Chattannoga (not finisherpix, a friend took the pic).

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply