Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Type 'A' Triathletes - Building Home - Ideas [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

And one that everyone wants after they come to my house - 2 person-sized shower with 2 shower heads. Ours has a 4 x 5 shower pan with a foot wide Corian bench.

I'd like to second a decent shower / shower bench- we have a fairly large shower with multiple shower heads, with a 15" deep floating shower bench that runs the width (4'). It's great for comfortably sitting under shower heads and also for shaving purposes. We did a simulation of a 12" and 15" deep seat- and went with the deeper option for our uses. http://www.houzz.com/floating-shower-bench for ideas. Built in soap/shampoo niches work well, too. No regrets.
Quote Reply
Re: Type 'A' Triathletes - Building Home - Ideas [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew69 wrote:
Currently building a house with a 25m lap pool in the center of the house (pool is outside and the house wraps around it).

Will have a bike workshop off the garage....also have a gym. Helps to be a contractor!

Awesome. As a contractor you probably already have this mindset but my opinion on building a lap pool is if you are going to do it, do it right. That means it has to be:
1) Not shallow (not deep, just not shallow).
2) Wide enough for 3 lanes though the outside lanes can be narrowish.
3) Get non-turbulent lane lines.
4) Get spillover gutters.
5) Get a big digital pace clock.
Quote Reply
Re: Type 'A' Triathletes - Building Home - Ideas [thunderdouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the process of building right now - should be done by the end of year.

Lot is 3 1/2 acres, so there's room for lots of future stuff - just building the main house right now as that is what we can afford at the moment. But, I'm thinking something along the lines of Studio Shed (http://www.studio-shed.com/products/) for future gym, music studio, guest house, etc.

The house is very basic. Not huge, but open and airy (living in SoCal so we wanted lots of windows, open space, outdoor deck space, etc). Big garage for "temporary" gym / trainer space and perhaps the coolest feature is putting electrical outlets in the top bathroom vanity drawer and kitchen island drawer.
Quote Reply
Re: Type 'A' Triathletes - Building Home - Ideas [v0coder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
v0coder wrote:
Less rooms. More garages.

This exactly.

Our next house will have:

>1000 sq ft of garage: workshop, gear storage, bike storage for n+1 bikes.

On-demand hot water heater in garage, for washing muddy bikes in frozen mud season.

Large mudroom / gear room / laundry room on 1st floor. Close proximity to garage.
Quote Reply
Re: Type 'A' Triathletes - Building Home - Ideas [thunderdouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Screen porch. Most people with both a screened porch and patio/deck will generally say- I wish my screened porch was bigger and my patio/deck smaller - if you have space limitations. We built ours to that truism, and are extremely happy with it. If your county codes allow it, a wood burning fireplace on your screened porch, is even nicer.

Natural Gas hookups for patio heaters or patio BBQ.
Quote Reply
Re: Type 'A' Triathletes - Building Home - Ideas [mcycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always said that was my dream house. 800 sq foot house and a 5 car garage. I gots some stuff, and don't like to clean house. I did see a house with floor drains that you could hose the floors down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sure would like to know what "type A" has to do with home construction? True type A is actually regarded as a personality disorder by the American Psychiatric Association. That's taught in any Psychology 101 course. The majority of triathletes are actually not true type A's.

But to answer your question, I've just built a garage with a heated floor. Its more for storage of a couple of vintage cars than for working out, but the heated floor is a good idea for a work out room.
Quote Reply
Re: Type 'A' Triathletes - Building Home - Ideas [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Andrew69 wrote:
Currently building a house with a 25m lap pool in the center of the house (pool is outside and the house wraps around it).

Will have a bike workshop off the garage....also have a gym. Helps to be a contractor!

Awesome. As a contractor you probably already have this mindset but my opinion on building a lap pool is if you are going to do it, do it right. That means it has to be:
1) Not shallow (not deep, just not shallow).
2) Wide enough for 3 lanes though the outside lanes can be narrowish.
3) Get non-turbulent lane lines.
4) Get spillover gutters.
5) Get a big digital pace clock.

1) Minimum 6ft deep (except stairs obviously, but they come off the side of the pool and not the main section)
2) A bit over 2 lanes wide
3) Planning on it
4) Done. Building a Launter edge pool
5) Digital? Didnt even know you could get a digital pace clock. Pace clock is a must
Last edited by: Andrew69: Oct 25, 14 0:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mcycle wrote:
Screen porch. Most people with both a screened porch and patio/deck will generally say- I wish my screened porch was bigger and my patio/deck smaller - if you have space limitations. We built ours to that truism, and are extremely happy with it. If your county codes allow it, a wood burning fireplace on your screened porch, is even nicer.

Natural Gas hookups for patio heaters or patio BBQ.

X2 We are beginning dry wall week on our house, and the two things that are most exciting are the screened in porch, and the "pain cave".

Elements that I have considered important:

1.built in closet for the pain cave (storage of wetsuits, and endless supply of "workout" clothing)...will also be extra space for my "civilian clothes" as my wife has the larger portion of our main walk in closet (for single guys out there, one day you will understand)
2. wiring for television in the screened in porch. (We have a large deck outside, but I'm certain that the screened porch will get most use, since we are in a northern Michigan wooded lot.
3. large beam access on ceiling of the pain cave for TRX, etc.
4. pain cave on first floor, so I can have lots of windows to provide natural light.

Elements that my wife considers important:

1. pantry
2. large tub in the master bathroom
3. expensive stuff

type A considerations:

all living space is on ground level with the exception of my two daughters rooms. When they are eventually gone to college and beyond, most all of our time will be on the first floor. No basement, except for storage. Apparently people eventually get old, sometimes...

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
50 m pool, velodrome, 400 m track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm an Archirect. Hire me so I can afford this hobby.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wind tunnel!?
Quote Reply
Re: Type 'A' Triathletes - Building Home - Ideas [Daremo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That may be true, and where our house is, there'd be no demand, nor space for a pool or other things such as hot tub due to the climate.

On the other hand, a garden room, separated from the house has lots of benefits and effectively allows us to not clog living space with exercise equipment and assorted paraphernalia - especially given that homes in the UK are generally smaller than the US

Certainly the trend with inner city homes in London is the creation of basements and extensions - most houses don't have them, and given the cost of trading up for most people from their current house to a larger one, or one with a basement in "central London" would be probably close to 750k US (generic 2.5 bed, 2 bath, semi-detached town house) - depending on the area, the cost of extending becomes far more attractive - would still never make sense for a pool in our neighbourhood

that said, new apartment developments in London are now including owners lounges, spa's, gyms and at one hyde park the concierge service from the Mandarin Oriental so there are people with cash that need or want these things irrespective of whether they make sense
Quote Reply
Re: Type 'A' Triathletes - Building Home - Ideas [TimAndrus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimAndrus wrote:
A bed
A shower
A fridge

The rest I can do outside

This. Seriously this.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: Type 'A' Triathletes - Building Home - Ideas [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A hot chicks room
Quote Reply

Prev Next