Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dear Giro...
Quote | Reply
Please make a Giro Advantage 3. I've looked at the Bell Javelin, Kask, Lazer Tardiz, Rudy Wingspan, LG Super L, Selector, and Giro Air Attack. After considering and trying them all, I wound up buying another Advantage 2. Good, but I think a few tweaks could make it great:

1. Please fix the ear flap issue. In T1 it is hard to slow down and treat a helmet gingerly. The ear flap on this one cracked in the fourth race use. That might be enough to push me to a different helmet next time. Frustrating.

2. Please give us a visor option. I liked that about the Air Attack. Its why I tried the Air Attack, Tardiz, and Javelin. Could not the sane type of magnetic option work on a visor for a tailed helmet?

3. Please don't change the fit. It is much better in my opinion than most other options out there as far as adjustment and customization are concerned.

Thanks!

Life IS an endurance sport. Finish Well
www.fwe1.net
Last edited by: plainsman: Oct 24, 14 9:32
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Giro... [plainsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Visors are almost always slower.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Giro... [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thus, it could be optional...

www.fwe1.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not just pick up a Specialized McLaren aero helmet? It's supposed to be faster than the very proven Giro Advantage 2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why pay $300 for something new when you get Adv2 all day long for $80-100. The little crack on the ear flap is not structural, maybe just a tad ugly and doesn't really affect anything. If you want a visor you can slap a Louis Garneau on there with a bit of modification. FWIW Giro hates that people keep recommending the A2 over the selector. They took it out of production, but I think they are making them again. It is just a really solid choice if you can't or won't test for yourself.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just love the Giro fit. Great price point.

www.fwe1.net
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Giro... [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I tried the Selector. Found it cumbersome to put on. Like the ventilation of the A2. Agree on the price point. Aside from fit, the Bell Javelin and Lazer both hit the points I was looking for.

www.fwe1.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I'd rather they make a Selector 2 and offer it in three sizes with a few more tail options. IMO, a modular field helmet following current known best design practices (read: copy the McLaren/P-09/Split) would be well received.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Giro... [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
Why pay $300 for something new when you get Adv2 all day long for $80-100. The little crack on the ear flap is not structural, maybe just a tad ugly and doesn't really affect anything. If you want a visor you can slap a Louis Garneau on there with a bit of modification. FWIW Giro hates that people keep recommending the A2 over the selector. They took it out of production, but I think they are making them again. It is just a really solid choice if you can't or won't test for yourself.

^+!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick B wrote:
Visors are almost always slower.

Apparently (according to the AeroCamp guys and ERO) on the Selector (and it's cousin the Javelin) on that specific helmet, a visor turns out to be faster.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Giro... [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. And I understand everyone has their preferences too. I would personally prefer not to fiddle with glasses in T1. I may be off base, but I would just guess that an Advantage with the features I mentioned (visor, flex ear flaps for easy donning with no tearing + same great fit) would be wildly successful. I also think there is room for the price point to come up some and still not be a $300 helmet.

www.fwe1.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The web page (http://mariusheier.no/...to-time-trial-helmet) is now down but someone detailed how to put an LG visor into an A2. It looked pretty easy and I imagine anyone with a bit of attention to detail could do it themselves pretty easily as well.

I have an A2 myself and never understood peoples' complaints about cracked earflaps. My T1 times got faster once mine cracked because I could just cram it on my head and go. Unfold my ears once I was on the road. The "unsightly" cracks are nothing compared to all the scuffs from throwing it on the ground in T2.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Giro... [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not really disagreeing with anyone out there. I've seen the mod you are talking about, and it does seem doable. Just sharing part of my "wish" list with the world. It seems like there is a market out there for helmets with visors, and we've seen Bell and Rudy figure out how to make ear flaps that flex, don't require ear unfolding, and don't crack/tear. My only point is, with a proven consumer base for the A2, and the fact that people try to come up with these mods, it seems like an easy next step to incorporate those user desires into a ready for market product. I would be curious to see how a selector two works. When I tried one, it was a bear to get on my noggin, and I was concerned about overheating. Even in the harshest conditions, I have not had that worry with my A2. If I were Giro, I might consider it a compliment. With all of the new helmets hitting the market, the A2 still looks (from my non-scientific observation) to have a big piece of the market share. Small tweaks could allow it to keep what has made it so popular, while expanding its appeal to a broader group (i.e., those looking for the latest bells and whistles).

www.fwe1.net
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Giro... [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
depends on the helmet. The selector and javelin are typically faster with the visor and are designed to have the visor in place, the P09 is typically faster without the visor.

I think if you start adding visors to helmets on your own you won't need sunglasses nor will you typically be faster & could be slower.

You've got to test though to be sure if you modify it. You modify then come on down and we can test it out though. it'd be a fun and informative testing session.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I have you all here...... styrofoam on my A2 cracked all the way through near the front. About an inch from dead center where the Giro logo is. Cracked through from the shell all the way to the inside, and from the edge all the way up to the vent. The plastic shell is intact. I've never crashed this helmet or dropped it. Never. It is old though. I got it in 2009. What's this?
Edit: I'm not asking if I should still use it. :D I know I should not. The helmet is a loss. What I want to know is why it happened and how common this is?
Last edited by: Dilbert: Oct 24, 14 17:10
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Giro... [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
While I have you all here...... styrofoam on my A2 cracked all the way through near the front. About an inch from dead center where the Giro logo is. Cracked through from the shell all the way to the inside, and from the edge all the way up to the vent. The plastic shell is intact. I've never crashed this helmet or dropped it. Never. It is old though. I got it in 2009. What's this?
Edit: I'm not asking if I should still use it. :D I know I should not. The helmet is a loss. What I want to know is why it happened and how common this is?

Sitting or stepping on your helmet in Transition is never a good idea...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While we are at it...Dear Giro, please make a quality shoe in a size 15.

Sharting Happens...deal with it!

http://caughtontherun.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Giro... [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

Aaaand had I stepped on this helmet or sat on it I would not be asking how this crack got there.

Don't be obtuse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can purchase visors from Giro's site. They are held on with magnets if I recall correctly? I would think glueing small magnets to an A2 with the replacement visor would work?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
windschatten wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

Aaaand had I stepped on this helmet or sat on it I would not be asking how this crack got there.

Don't be obtuse.

I see, so let me spell this out for you:

I does not take much force to damage a helmet like you describe..... pack it too tightly (not in a helmet pod) or let some of you competitors have fun with it in transition (while you are out swimming or running).
One has to be pretty obtuse to think this would happen by itself.

I got a bike damaged beyond rideable, wetsuit ripped and sunglasses scratched in transition....can't count how often I found my helmet on the ground after it was kicked off my handlebars....
Quote Reply