Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Boulder 2015 Bike Course? [Bouldertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info and keeping us as much up to date as possible. I am really excited to see what this course will end up looking like but do appreciate no announcements or releases until approval has been given.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Boulder 2015 Bike Course? [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the info RD. very helpful
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick update guys. I am still waiting on a meeting to get final approval for the bike course changes. We are almost there.

DC

DC
Dave Christen
IRONMAN Race Director and Operations Manager
dave.christen@ironman.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Its a little too icy to jump on the course this weekend anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bouldertri wrote:
Darkhorse is correct. To add something like Lee Hill, or Left Hand, or even Super James is not something anyone will be able to get a permit for much less want to risk putting athletes on.

Think about it from my perspective guys. Lets just assume we send you guys up on an out and back, or up Lee Hill and back down further north. The fact that we all can agree on is that 90% of triathletes do not handle a TT bike very well. I am not concerned at all to have everyone climb up Lee Hill or Left hand....its how do I get them down from there. This is the largest hurdle an event director needs to address.

Darkhorse also mentions the other largest hurdle that some may not consider, and that is the local communities perception, and more importantly their access. We can't just shut down roads that people live on for hours at a time. Its not how this all works. If you observe all of the IRONMAN's in the country this is the prevailing issue. I manage or have managed about every bike course in the country for an IRONMAN and this is the largest hurdle behind safety, public access.

A few people have referenced Wisconsin or Lake Placid as hard courses that are super attractive to people and they sell out super fast. You have a point but keep in mind Boulder had more climbing than both of those with 2014's course. So even though we did not climb into the mtns, we still had a rolling course that was challenging. Wisconsin and LP are both historic and popular races because of the tradition. It will take time for other races to gain that status and appeal.

I will never be able to find a course that makes everyone happy but you can count on it not going into the mountains. Its not something we can get a permit for or throw triathletes racing in a straight (or not so straight) line onto. Sorry guys, its the way the permit process works.

The new course I am working on approval for is not out East of the mountains. It would stay in and along the foothills and canyons of Boulder and Larimer county. This course would also be a bit flatter and should roll faster than last years. I am working on final approvals with local authorities and should be announcing something soon. I don't want to announce and then have to change it, so I want to make sure it is properly vetted. The run course will not go up and over the Foothills Parkway Bridge this year. It will stay along the Boulder Creek in that area and cut the 4 times you have to climb that bridge out. The run course will be much faster due to this.

You guys know how to get a hold of me, so let me know if you have any questions. Follow us on Facebook, that is where I make most announcements.

DC

Dave - Thanks again for being so open and honest in this forum as you have been before. Looking forward to another great event next year.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Boulder 2015 Bike Course? [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

I need to correct a previous statement I made. Boulder does not have more climbing than LP and Wisconsin. I have worked both of those enough I should be able to remember my numbers a bit more. The point I wanted to make is that the course in 2014 and will again in 2015 still be challenging. The total climbing is right in the middle of the pack of IM racing in terms of climbing.

I apologize for that missed statement. My wife will tell you my memory in general needs a little work......

DC

DC
Dave Christen
IRONMAN Race Director and Operations Manager
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Boulder 2015 Bike Course? [kfc_bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couldn't sleep last night, so I did a little dirty work. I think we're likely to see something like this...I mapped it on Garmin Connect:

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/8673578

With mile markers:

Woodland Rd. and points north would be a double loop. By not crossing over 34 on the north end, it would minimize the overall traffic impact. Probably comes in at ~3,600 feet of elevation gain. Also would make this a pretty convenient course on which to train for the locals, not to mention a bit more scenic and safer without all the big trucks from the rigs out east.

Biggest drawback? NOT 112 miles!

Of course this is simply conjecture at this point, but I think falls in line with what Dave mentioned in his previous post(s).

Quote | Reply

Out of curiosity, why change the bike course?

Anything 'wrong' with it as it is?

Thanks.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still no official 2015 bike course? Last update was in January, and I (for one) would like to be training on the course file on my CompuTrainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Boulder 2015 Bike Course? [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe permit issues again....?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any updates to the thread?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Boulder 2015 Bike Course? [simplymax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new route was updated months ago and posted on the Boulder IM webpage.
Quote Reply

Prev Next