Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Florida - Freezing Bottles (Help!)
Quote | Reply
Race = Ironman Florida
Planning for 6:00 - 6:30 Ride
Use ~1 bottle of Gu Roctane Ultra Endurance mix per hour and don't want to drink warm nurition mix.
Plan to be on the bike around 8:40 am (1:30 swim +10 min T1)

I have two options to avoid drinking warm mix:

1. Pre-fill all nutrition and use 3 bottles for first 56 miles and pick up another 3 at special needs (freezing them overnight), or
2. Pre-fill nutrition and use 3 bottles for first 56 miles and pick up powder at special needs, thereafter stopping to mix a new bottle once I run out of the old bottle.

Figured it would be best to go with option 1, thus the questions below.

First 56 Miles

I will carry 3 nutrition bottles with me (downtube, seat-tube and single carrier behind my saddle). How "frozen" should each of these bottles (1 through 3) be (i.e., high concentration of ice cubes vs. actually frozen)?

My initial thinking:

1. Bottle 1 = High concentration of ice cubes mixed in.
  2. Bottle 2 = Frozen
  3. Bottle 3 = Frozen

Last 56 Miles

Planning to pick up 3 bottles at special needs (which I will have in a bag cooler filled with ice inside my special needs bag). How "frozen" should bottles 4 thorugh 6 be?

My initial thinking (same as above):

1. Bottle 4 = High concentration of ice cubes mixed in.
  2. Bottle 5 = Frozen
  3. Bottle 6 = Frozen
Based on your responses, what time should I put bottles on my bike (i.e., right when transition open at 4:30, right before transition closes, etc.)?

Thanks!

@CycleHeavy
Last edited by: TriMeSBR: Oct 23, 14 11:32
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida - Freezing Bottles (Help!) [TriMeSBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't even bother freezing them. The bottles you can get from aid stations won't be frozen (probably won't even be cold). Plus the time they sit in t1 is going to thaw them out. if you are worried about heat I would just grab a water bottle going through aid station and spraying it on my body.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plus, sometimes the frozen bottles bounce out of bottle cages.

KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Freeze one for the first leg. Don't worry about time to get to T1....whatever is covenient. Freeze all 3 for special needs. Leave space in the bottle for expansion when freezing. Freeze one tonight to make sure the bottles you are using dont crack. Personally, I wouldnt freeze them...if you drop them...they will likely crack and you will be screwed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are totally overthinking this all. There is a good chance you bike sn bottles will still be partially frozen. However, most of those bottles will thaw before you finish the first one.

Did you use 6 frozen bottles during training?
Why do they need to be frozen?
For future refernce, learn to make concentrated bottles. 3 bottles to start the bike is overkill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having not practiced with concentrated bottles, I'm not goign to risk it for race day. but will definitely plan to try that in the future.

It sound like my best option (for simplicity and avoiding a cracked bottle, etc)., is to simply put a lot of ice cubes in each bottle (including the 3 sitting in my special needs cooler).

@CycleHeavy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Concentrated bottles are the way to go in the future! For your upcoming race the most I would go with is ice in the bottles, how bummed would you be if you went to use a bottle and it still wasn't defrosted?? Warm Roctane is not that bad, warm Perpetuem is another story!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did an Ironman in Sept. I froze two bottles and put in my special needs bag. The bottles were the insulated ones. They were still partially frozen when I got them during the race. It worked fine for me. The cold liquid was nice to have.
Last edited by: arby: Oct 23, 14 12:15
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida - Freezing Bottles (Help!) [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you have a small cheap cooler, go buy those freeze pack things from the grocery store and put those in the cooler.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The times that I have frozen bottles, it's been crazy hot, but because they are packed in your bag amongst lots of other special needs bags in giant cardboard boxes for most of the time until you need them, they have been very cold, if not still partially frozen. Even on the run.

Turn your freezes way cold, open the tops. Don't fill them so full that you can't then close the tops after expansion. There's not much chance the last ones you drink will be cold by the time you get to it, but the 1st one out of special needs should be. And maybe the second.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to do it, it depends on what type of bottles you have. If you freeze insulated bottles, they will probably remain relatively frozen. You can experiment with how much you freeze- I would normally freeze bottle 1 with only about 1/3 of the liquid, then pour the rest in the morning of. The other two, I would generally fill 2/3 full and almost full (leaving room for expansion), then top-off the morning of and use in that order.

My 3 special needs bottles, I froze for two days in insulated bottles then placed in an insulated lunch bag and they were about half-frozen when I picked them up. Of course, the bag and three insulated bottles became throw-aways.

Just a note, if you are travelling- make sure the place you are staying has a big enough freezer!
Quote Reply