Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Soma hotter this year?
Quote | Reply
So the weather at SOMA half-iron in Tempe, AZ on Sunday was 90 F by 12:50 pm and then 92 F later in the day.
How did people do? I was 40 seconds slower than last year, but wanted to get impressions from anyone else.
Quote Reply
Re: Soma hotter this year? [Rhenium] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It didn't seem any different than previous years to me. I went the same time as I did the previous year although faster bike / slower run which doesn't surprise me given my lack of run training lately. Temps actually felt okay on the first lap of the run but lap 2 was getting warm.
Quote Reply
Re: Soma hotter this year? [CDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. I had the same race, faster on the bike by five minutes and then just about the same slower on the run. I wonder if the bike was faster because of the straight shot up McClintock? To add to the confusion, my bike splits didn't register.

I just felt completely cooked by the second lap of the run, despite ice and water in every nook and cranny. I crashed under the awning in the finish area and couldn't go anywhere for ten minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was my first half iron. My impressions: I think the people of Tempe are so nice. The volunteers were awesome times 100. The other racers were really courteous and encouraging. LifeTime was really great! The announcers really kept things smooth at the beginning. The Landis bike shop helping out on the course and before the race was top notch. The city itself was really chill! I liked it. However I think I won't do that race again mainly because of that lake. On the run you could smell it, and I kept thinking "I can't believe I just swam in that!" I couldn't see my hands, or even bubbles from people near me. If it was a cleaner lake, it would have been gorgeous with the sun coming right up at that time.

Did you notice the gatorade on the run was a little over mixed? I got kinda sick from it being so strong. The defizzled coke was responsible for a better 2nd lap. The volunteers, again, though were awesome!
Last edited by: yesitsme: Oct 23, 14 19:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure I'll be able to provide the proper perspective since I live and train here. After training for 16+ weeks, with long rides and runs in low 100 degree temps, the temperature this weekend was great! I cut almost 9 minutes off of my time from last year. The only time I felt it was getting hot was on my walk back to my car after the race was over. I made a point of staying hydrated, and took water at every run aid station.
Quote Reply