Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: M&Ms as nutrition [mxblues98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mxblues98 wrote:
Make sure you train with them, especially bricks. Had a buddy who used Twizzlers for IMMOO, but no bricks. Found out that licorice can be a laxative for some people.

Thanks for the heads up... Licorice was on my testing list...
Quote Reply
Re: M&Ms as nutrition [YO mortaaay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I eat all kinds of candy during a race so long as there is some degree of protein in them which for me is anything with Peanuts/Peanut Butter.
Peanut M&Ms
Snickers
Paydays
Reese's Pieces
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

And I find that a full size can of pringles is easily accessible in a bike jersey with a little bit of flexibility and bike handling skills.
Quote Reply
Re: M&Ms as nutrition [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
As one's sole race nutrition, the fat content would be way too high to be optimal. M&Ms are ~ 37% fat calories and that much fat would slow stomach emptying, digestion and absorption. Your body already has plenty of fat for just about any race imaginable. It's carbs that we will run short on. That said, as a small treat during a race they might be quite wonderful and as fuel during a low intensity long ride they should be usable as well.

YMMV,

Hugh

I can't believe it took this long for someone to mention the fat...I've eaten something like gummy snacks during training no problem, but grouping all candy in the same category is not a great idea.

There are plenty of decent "food" choices that are mostly carbs...fig newtons, rice krispy treats, pop tarts, fruit chewy snacks, bananas...between those things and actual "sports nutrition," I don't feel the need to experiment with more fatty choices.

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Re: M&Ms as nutrition [SoberBySaturday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SoberBySaturday wrote:
I eat all kinds of candy during a race so long as there is some degree of protein in them which for me is anything with Peanuts/Peanut Butter.
Peanut M&Ms
Snickers
Paydays
Reese's Pieces
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

Sorry but no protein is needed for any race distance including IM.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: M&Ms as nutrition [Clempson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clempson wrote:
gets way too hot where i live to have anything that melts as nutrition on the bike. i did pick up a bunch of peeps earlier in the year after easter and used those on the bike for a good dose of sugar.

for those of us in heat and the tropics, i use fig bars, homemade granola bars and dulci gomas (a gummy like candy). super easy.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: M&Ms as nutrition [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
May not be needed but my stomach doesn't reject all that sugar when it's available as compared to when it's not. What works for me doesn't work for everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: M&Ms as nutrition [SoberBySaturday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SoberBySaturday wrote:

And I find that a full size can of pringles is easily accessible in a bike jersey with a little bit of flexibility and bike handling skills.

The BTA Pringles holders are more aero. /pink
Quote Reply
Re: M&Ms as nutrition [YO mortaaay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YO mortaaay wrote:
Anyone ever use M&Ms as racing nutrition. I figure they are easy access via the bento and easy to grab one or two while riding. I've done well on Resses peanut butter cups and PayDay but they are a PITA do unwrap while riding. Oh and M&Ms are delicious.. Peanut and Peanut butter mix is what I might attempt. Melt in your mouth not in your hands..
Funny, I asked the same thing last year about Swedish berries and Sour Patch Kids. I ended up racing with Honey Stinger chews this year... but after a whole season of them I think I'm ready to try something new.
Quote Reply
Re: M&Ms as nutrition [Clempson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clempson wrote:
gets way too hot where i live to have anything that melts as nutrition on the bike. i did pick up a bunch of peeps earlier in the year after easter and used those on the bike for a good dose of sugar.

I know a guy that takes peeps on his bike for a 70.3 and when running marathons. Last year he had a jelly donut in T1 of a 70.3

He's not the fastest guy out there and he's not trying to be but I'm pretty sure he's doing it right. ;-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next