Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who watched FSU v ND last night? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh shit, you are right! The Bishop is not too happy about it either. Surprised I missed that.

http://www.breitbart.com/...Bishop-Gently-Chides

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Who watched FSU v ND last night? [JacquiAndBoudreaux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always find it amusing how people will say "i knew they were this bad" or "I knew they were this good" on the basis of a single play. If there was no penalty on that last play, everybody would be talking about how good ND is and how bad FSU is. And its not just this game. I see it all the time. Announcers will talk about how a team "imposed their will" on another team, and if not for a missed tackle or a dropped pass, that team would have lost. To me, if a game is decided by one or two plays, then the teams are pretty much equal.

sorry, silly rant over...

---------------------------------------------------
"Pops trippin'. He want me to ask for my bike back. You know i wouldn't trip."
Quote Reply
Re: Who watched FSU v ND last night? [jime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jime wrote:
Mr Official....Mr Official......there's only one problem with your statement. They called the penalty on the other receiver, not the guy in the slot. Thanks for your expertise anyway.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Apparently neither do you. Both of the other receivers were blocking.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Last edited by: NCtri: Oct 20, 14 8:08
Quote Reply
Re: Who watched FSU v ND last night? [NCtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NCtri wrote:
jime wrote:
Mr Official....Mr Official......there's only one problem with your statement. They called the penalty on the other receiver, not the guy in the slot. Thanks for your expertise anyway.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Apparently neither do you. Both of the other receivers were blocking.

If you really are a football official and you think that was a penalty, I hope you reconsider being an official. First off, Prosise was engaged and almost dragged to the ground by the DB for FSU. Fuller runs 8 yards into the endzone and tries to make a cut to his left and is engaged by the other FSU DB. The DB assigned to Robison is left in no man's land and totally blew his coverage and was not getting to Robinson if he froze time for 10 seconds. It was a horrible call. Additionally, since you seem so adamant that it was so clear...was the blown call on the FSU DB taking his helmet off, on the field, and immediately after ND scored also clear?

ND worked FSU all night and deserved that win. To take it away from them b/c FSU blew their coverage is just miserable.
Quote Reply
Re: Who watched FSU v ND last night? [Twotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twotter wrote:
NCtri wrote:
jime wrote:

If you really are a football official and you think that was a penalty, I hope you reconsider being an official. First off, Prosise was engaged and almost dragged to the ground by the DB for FSU. Fuller runs 8 yards into the endzone and tries to make a cut to his left and is engaged by the other FSU DB. The DB assigned to Robison is left in no man's land and totally blew his coverage and was not getting to Robinson if he froze time for 10 seconds. It was a horrible call. Additionally, since you seem so adamant that it was so clear...was the blown call on the FSU DB taking his helmet off, on the field, and immediately after ND scored also clear?

ND worked FSU all night and deserved that win. To take it away from them b/c FSU blew their coverage is just miserable.

I posted earlier -- my dad is a 30+ year vet ref of high school and college. He is also a very casual ND fan. I was watching the game with him. He said it was a no-brainer, must call. I do not know as much about football as he does and I knew it was a must call.

Almost identical play happened on Sun with the Packers and Panthers and Panthers were called for it.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Who watched FSU v ND last night? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems to me like all of the pro analysts are saying that it was the right call.

Keyshawn talks about it in the video on this link. We have a former pro receiver saying that you can't do that. But I guess he's wrong too...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11728483/brian-kelly-notre-dame-fighting-irish-upset-penalty-end-game-vs-florida-state-seminoles

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Who watched FSU v ND last night? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Seems to me like all of the pro analysts are saying that it was the right call.

Keyshawn talks about it in the video on this link. We have a former pro receiver saying that you can't do that. But I guess he's wrong too...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11728483/brian-kelly-notre-dame-fighting-irish-upset-penalty-end-game-vs-florida-state-seminoles

Look at this angle: http://m.ndinsider.com/...3b2370.html?mode=jqm

At the snap, the FSU DB #8, immediately engages the ND WR and starts working on him. Also at the snap, ND WR #7, makes a cut to his left after running three yards and is immediately engaged by the FSU DB #3. When this contact is made, the ball is halfway to Robinson. In both cases, the argument could also be made that ND WRs were fighting for their route. I haven't heard of a single person that says that FSU would have been able to make a play on Robinson...he was too far away. They blew their coverage, got pissed at each other, took their helmet off (no penalty called), and got bailed out by the ref.
Quote Reply
Re: Who watched FSU v ND last night? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think one of the biggest challenges with this call is everyone either hates ND or loves ND (I know JSA loves the Irish).

I am personally a fan of ND, but growing up my father was a ref for high school basketball. Watching games with him he always gave me the perspective that no ref wants to call the game winning 'penalty' and refs generally do their best make the right call, he is also a strong opponent of challenges and reviews. So because of my lack of knowlege of football rules I am going with they probably made the right call.
Quote Reply
Re: Who watched FSU v ND last night? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
I think one of the biggest challenges with this call is everyone either hates ND or loves ND (I know JSA loves the Irish).

I am personally a fan of ND, but growing up my father was a ref for high school basketball. Watching games with him he always gave me the perspective that no ref wants to call the game winning 'penalty' and refs generally do their best make the right call, he is also a strong opponent of challenges and reviews. So because of my lack of knowlege of football rules I am going with they probably made the right call.

I HATE ND, but I did want them to win because Winston is such a POS. I'm no ref, but I did play D1 football; after watching the replay, it looks like a textbook pick. In those circumstances you usually see the ref keep the flag in their pocket, but it certainly looked like a pick to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Who watched FSU v ND last night? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know the rules well enough to comment on whether it was the right call. To me, I don't see what's wrong with it. However, every analyst I have seen talk about it agrees that the call was correct.

The only people I see disagreeing are the head coach of ND and most of their fans.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've watched that play several times and I can't think of a way that it was not a pick. Even though he (ND #20) was engaged right away he never made an attempt to break away, like you would if you were trying to get open. The top receiver's pick wasn't as obvious and probably wouldn't have been called since he didn't lower his shoulder and drive block his defender. Neither of the picking receivers ever had any intention of getting open. Granted the one FSU defender that could have made a play took a bad angle and that's why he was picked but that doesn't negate the other penalty.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twotter wrote:
NCtri wrote:
jime wrote:

What year did you graduate ND?

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twotter wrote:
NCtri wrote:
jime wrote:

This is really interesting to read. I watched the game with a buddy who played LB at Auburn who absolutely despises FSU....long b/f they beat us up in last years Nat Champ game it's a 25 year old hate fest. It's always a learning experience to watch games with him b/c shows me aspects of schemes, pre-snap etc that has really added to my enjoyment of the game. Not 2 seconds after the last ND score he said 'that flag will be for offensive pass interference ND blew it what a horrible sell.' This is a guy who was screaming bloody murder for ND to win. I respect his pedigree of experience as pretty smart input when I hear it on matters on the field. Not saying anyone is right or wrong here b/c quite honestly it went right past me on live TV, but for a guy who wanted ND to score to say it almost instantly led me to believe he saw it like it happened.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Oct 20, 14 12:55
Quote Reply
Re: Who watched FSU v ND last night? [JacquiAndBoudreaux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched the game - from the 1st row just behind the end zone!!! My husband's daughter is thinking about applying there, so we figured we'd give her something to base her decision on, and took the family up for the game. Wow what an experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Who watched FSU v ND last night? [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50+ wrote:
That last penalty was a tough one. It had no baring on the play and they were both pushing each other.

thats the point. the rule is they cant push the defender past the line of scrimmage prior to the ball being thrown past the line of scrimmage.

---------------------------------
Hold my Beer and watch this!
Quote Reply
Re: Who watched FSU v ND last night? [bluesugar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I moved to Tallahassee in 1981 to attend FSU and I never left till 26 yrs later, sadly, due to work. I'd still be there if I had my druthers. Little did I know that FSU was on the cusp of one of the greatest football eras/runs of all time just as I blew into town! They set and still own the record for most consecutive bowl games wins at 11 and finished in the top 5 of the AP poll for 14 straight years! Bobby Bowden gave us an amazing ride for so many years...if only he could've beat Miami.

I decided to attend FSU when I was still a student at Boston State College off of the Fenway. I was enjoying my physics studies, but knew I would be returning South where I was from. I had sent off for FSU's catalog and was perusing it when I came across the fact that Paul A.M. Dirac (!!!) was on the faculty of the Physics dept. My mind was blown! To think of the opportunity to attend college where a living genius still researched, a man who was a contemporary of Einstein and who had his OWN EQUATION named after him (the Dirac Equation, of course), was too much to bear! The deal was sealed and Tallahassee here I came. In the first year or two that I was at FSU I lived 4 blocks west of campus and often on my way to class would see him walking home in the early afternoon. I so wanted to reach out and touch just even the hem of his garment, let alone to say hello, but I felt that I wasn't worthy to break the deep thought/concentration the great man always seemed to be in. It was an honor to just observe him. I spent many an hour studying in the Dirac Science Library.

Good Times!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Dirac

Twenty-five years and my life is still
Trying to get up that great big hill
of hope
For a destination
Quote Reply

Prev Next