Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cracked Zipp 404 Clincher... :( very sad pic included...
Quote | Reply
 (PSent my Zipp 404C to Powertap so that they could update the hub (SL 2.4) to ANT+, and they sent this pic back:

I never noticed it. They don't recommend riding it. Rim is from 2007, so probably not worth even contacting Zipp. Any ideas what could have caused that? Wheel has never been crashed, always took very good care of my stuff, don't know if I ever even had to get this rim trued.

Anyhow, now trying to figure out what to do. Probably have the Powertap guys lace my hub into a new rim.

ETA: Not trying to imply that the Powertap guys cracked the rim at all.

Spot

Last edited by: spot: Oct 22, 14 16:02
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked Zipp 404 Clincher... :( [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you suggesting they cracked your rim?
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked Zipp 404 Clincher... :( [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, not saying that at all. Was just observing that I've been riding this rim for a while and hadn't noticed this crack.

Spot

Quote | Reply
Looking at your brake track, you might be due for a new rim anyway. Still sucks though.
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked Zipp 404 Clincher... :( very sad pic included... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tell them to replace the rim they cracked....

PINK!! ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked Zipp 404 Clincher... :( very sad pic included... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you ship it insured? If you're certain that it wasn't cracked when you shipped it, it might have been damaged in transit.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked Zipp 404 Clincher... :( very sad pic included... [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I shipped it insured. I'll call Powertap tomorrow and ask them if they think it's the kind of damage that could have come from shipping.

Spot

Quote | Reply
allenpg wrote:
Did you ship it insured? If you're certain that it wasn't cracked when you shipped it, it might have been damaged in transit.

Possible, but I don't think shipping insurance will cover this. Not unless the folks at powertap were delivered a box that was clearly damaged in transit and the delivery person acknowledged it upon delivery. As a shipping company, I'd just assume that the product was shipped damaged or wasn't packed properly.

Otherwise, what is stopping any of us from shipping damaged goods insured and filing a claim?
Last edited by: Jason N: Oct 22, 14 17:14
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked Zipp 404 Clincher... :( very sad pic included... [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
allenpg wrote:

Possible, but I don't think shipping insurance will cover this. Not unless the folks at powertap were delivered a box that was clearly damaged in transit and the delivery person acknowledged it upon delivery. As a shipping company, I'd just assume that the product was shipped damaged or wasn't packed properly.

Otherwise, what is stopping any of us from shipping damaged goods insured and filing a claim?

That's kind of what I was thinking, plus my wife said that they packed it pretty well.

Spot

Quote | Reply
Zipp is usually really good about offering a replacement rim at a discount. I think it is somewhere between 350 and 500$. Assuming you get a new FC 404 at that type of discount, you can't complain too much. Add a front FC 404 and you have a good deal on top of the line wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talk to the guys from Wheelbuilder. I sent them a 2007 808 for them to install a powertap. Upon receipt they told me sometimes older rims crack when they release tension or apply tension on the spokes. Unfortunately mine did not crack because if it did crack they would replace my wheel with an 808 firecrest for 5 or 600 so it might be worth asking even though they didn't break it. They are top notch in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked Zipp 404 Clincher... :( very sad pic included... [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Zipp is usually really good about offering a replacement rim at a discount. I think it is somewhere between 350 and 500$. Assuming you get a new FC 404 at that type of discount, you can't complain too much. Add a front FC 404 and you have a good deal on top of the line wheels.

+1. Have gone through the Zipp crash replacement program 3 times and you'll get a new rim (existing hub & spokes unless you change the rim) that rides like a brand new wheel for a "nominal" cost. Don't look at it as a $300 purchase but a 25% fix. Sucks that you have spend anything! But obviously way cheaper than a new wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hard to be sure from one pic, but that spoke and nipple don't look normal to me.. somewhat bent.. must have taken a whack at some point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sucks. I just had the same thing happen to me about two months ago (same damage, don't know what caused it). My only assumption is it cracked when I hit a bump somewhere along the way. Like you, I was just glad I discovered it before I ended up in a ditch.

In any case, I contacted both Zipp and Wheelbuilder to seek options. Pretty much the only two choices for repair are to rebuild it with a new 404 Firecrest rim (which won't match your other wheel), or rebuild it with the Zipp 60 Clincher - which will match your other wheel in profile but not in aesthetics (stickers etc.)

In my case -- taking into account the cost of shipping -- I found the easiest thing for me to do was buy a complete new Zipp 60 Clincher then update the stickers on my other 404 wheel to match. Since your wheel is already at Wheelbuilder, having them do the re-build might make more sense than it did for me.

Good luck.
Quote Reply