Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Plantar fasciitis
Quote | Reply
HELP...... Have a case of plantar fasciitis, I've been on the internet looking for remedies for this and to be honest I am going crazy,,,,, Ice,,,,No Ice,,, Walk barefooted, have shoes on at all times....golf ball treatment, baseball treatment, streching .........and the worst remedy of all,,,,,,REST stay of your feet and NO RUNNING AT ALL.....
WHAT SEEMS TO WORK ???? If anyone here can give me some sound advice, It would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis [roadie25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll get all the standard advice here in the next few minutes...I tried all of it (except surgery). I mean ALL of it.

What worked? Not running for 3 years. Lots of hiking, walking golf courses, laying about the house watching Sports Center.

Then one day...it was gone. That was this past spring, and I worked up to ~30 mile weeks with 12-15 mile Sunday runs. It hasn't come back.

I've been wearing Hokas, BTW. Don't know for sure if they helped, but I'm sticking with them forever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do not walk barefoot. Home remedies include stretching (including calf, hamstrings, glutes, hip flexor), ice massage, sleeping in the boot, rolling it on a small hard ball. For runs, you can tape it or buy the new PF socks that Feetures sells.

I'd recommend finding somebody certified in ART and scheduling something. That has really helped both me and other friends of mine. If you happen to live in the Dallas area, I can recommend somebody. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bought the newton trainers just as they said on their website...started slowly walking to get use to them, Next day boom,,,,, pain on my heel and it has not gone away since....Dont know if it was the shoes or if it was already developing before I tried the newtons
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
roadie25 wrote:
HELP...... Have a case of plantar fasciitis, I've been on the internet looking for remedies for this and to be honest I am going crazy,,,,, Ice,,,,No Ice,,, Walk barefooted, have shoes on at all times....golf ball treatment, baseball treatment, streching .........and the worst remedy of all,,,,,,REST stay of your feet and NO RUNNING AT ALL.....
WHAT SEEMS TO WORK ???? If anyone here can give me some sound advice, It would be greatly appreciated.

Before you get out of bed, massage the bottom of your feet. Massage or roll the calves, upper legs, and lower back. When sitting down, roll golf balls under feet, although some ppl use frozen water bottles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took me almost a year to get rid of my PF. What finally seemed to help was going on crutches for a concurrent stress fracture in my heel. Dunno if it was the complete rest, if the stress fx was contributing to the pain or what.....but that was when it started to subside. Another 3 months of cross training (water running, eliptical, very short,s low runs) and I was finally back to full running, but starting from scratch (some runs were only 1/4 of a mile).

Honestly, I think PF just goes away when it goes away. Nothing seemed to help prior to the crutches...PT, golf balls, icing, stretching, night splints, etc.

Did see this recent blurb about a PT protocol which may help, though....

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/...heel-pain-treatment/

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my case, I had to lay off running for about a year and a half. I'm not actually sure when it went away, it just sort of did without me noticing. When I started running again, I just worked up real slow....real real slow. To this day, everytime I go on a longer run, I run sort of worried that it could happen again. So fingers crossed that it doesn't.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely, definitely, positively don't walk around barefoot. For me it was a combination of PT for strengthening hips and other supporting areas + stretching and no running for several months. After PT the doc recommended trying these for ongoing, daily foot stretching and strengthening.

Foot Wakers

I keep these under my desk at the office and one use them daily when working through it all. I only use them occasionally now if I feel my feet tightening up again.
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis [trifreemc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for the advices..... looks like I am going to be on the shelf for a while....Had San Juan 70.3 as my next challenge next year....Will use the NON RUNNING time to improve my swimming .... Thanks Again Everyone...
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Dallas area and wife is suffering PF badly. Nothing that I did to get rid of mine is helping her. She is calling podiatrists today. Can you shoot me the name and/or # of who you'd recommend please? She was just getting back into running after our 2nd was born and this has sidelined her. Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sent you a pm.
Last edited by: mbwallis: Oct 22, 14 13:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
roadie25 wrote:
Thank you all for the advices..... looks like I am going to be on the shelf for a while....Had San Juan 70.3 as my next challenge next year....Will use the NON RUNNING time to improve my swimming .... Thanks Again Everyone...

In my experience you don't need to stop running. I have had other friends try this also and it worked from them. Here is my post from another thread.

I ran through mine and haven't had an issue since. The most important thing for me was taping. Once I started taping it went away in a few weeks. Here is what I did.

Get a sports massage regularly, ie once a month.
Get the stick and use it everyday on your calves.
Do foot strengthening exercises everyday.
Ice the foot everyday.
You can also tape the foot to help the healing while you continue to run.

Do these things until the pain has gone away and then you can drop the ice and taping but keep up the rest.

Get some Cover Roll and LeukoTape. Cut off about a 3 inch strip of Cover Roll on the place horizontally on the top of your foot. This should be placed where the arch is and will protect the sensitive skin on the top of your foot from the tape. Now take the roll of LeukoTape and start it in line with the Cover Roll on the top of the outside of your foot and tape under the foot towards the arch. When you get to the arch you need to give the tape a good tug to make it nice and tight and then anchor the tape to the top of the foot where the Cover Roll it. Make sure to keep it tight until you anchor the tape. I normally complete the circle just to make sure it is secure. This will feel very uncomfortable at first but it will loosen up a bit over the first day. I normally left this on for a week at a time. It will feel very strange to walk and run at first but you will get used to it and it won't take long to not need it anymore. Basically you are just creating a loop around the foot to support the arch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK...everyone has their voodoo ritual that worked for them. For me it was this

Before anything else I didn't stop running. I cut back my volume but a majority of people I talked to that had it had one thing in common: They didnt stop running.

1. switched from motion control shoes to neutral cushioning
2. I did use Superfeet for a while then gradually stopped using them
3. That oh so sexy Strassburg sock at night.
4. Iced my attachment point at the heel after every run. EVERY run. 3x a day.
5. At night before bed. 1 (and only 1)
6. Getting out of bed in the morning I didn't just hop on out. Slowly. Let that plantar warm up before walking on it.
7. Massage stick on my entire calf region religiously.
8. And that foot wheel roller in the arch area a few times a day. I have a standing workstation so it's really easy for me to take my shoes off and roll.

Be patient. It will just be gone and you won't know it.

good luck
S.

// qui audet adipiscitur
Last edited by: spomeroy: Oct 22, 14 13:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a bad case two years ago. I tried the ice bucket and the other half of stuff suggested with no luck. I read an article on shoes I believe on slowtwitch that got me going in the right direction.I went from the saucony kinvara to the saucony cortana 3 more cushion. Went to the thickest thorlo sock made. Then the kicker I found was the Dr. Scholls pro heel inserts available from walmart. I had to go to 1/2 size larger shoe size. Those inserts have a right and left written on them and they look like they are wrong. The shape is strange for the shoe they go in. They will feel a little funny running in them, but that goes away fast. I now run in the cortanas and hoka cliffon with this setup. Worked for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out http://www.heel-that-pain.com

It worked wonders for me. I went from hardly being able to walk to running within 3 weeks. Great customer service. I have nothing to do with the company, but had great luck with the heel inserts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This worked for me thesock.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
checkout http://www.plantarfasciitistips.com/blog/

Lots of free advice on there.

Good luck.
Quote Reply