Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2015 TdF Route: Time Trials be Damned [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As long as it is for "the early part of the race", I have no real issues with it (although I would prefer for them not to be there at all on stages with finishing climbs present). But if they will be there on every stage, including TT's and summit finishes), that is cr@p, IMO.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 TdF Route: Time Trials be Damned [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. Time bonuses are "Ok" when the gaps are small enough to have the jersey change hands. When they're for mountain stages, it usually leads to waiting around in a group and then sprinting to the end.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 TdF Route: Time Trials be Damned [7ducati] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7ducati wrote:
I'm torn. While I like having the TT's in there to shake things up, it really is boring TV. Those are the only stages where I just fast forward to the end to see who won.

Same here! I just want an exciting race to watch. Whether or not more TT's would do that, I don't know, but 5 TT's means 5 less stages for me to watch.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 TdF Route: Time Trials be Damned [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aw3 wrote:
It looks as though Froome has ruled himself out already to focus on a Giro-Vuelta double:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/29721147[/quote[/url]]

that would be pretty shocking, actually.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 TdF Route: Time Trials be Damned [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
maybe you guys will watch the Giro and Vuelta next year and people won't be so focused on just the TDF

win!

x2
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 TdF Route: Time Trials be Damned [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Details on the time bonuses.....courtesy of cyclingnews.com

Quote:
To try and shake up the overall classification in the first part of the race, time bonuses of 10-6-4 seconds will be awarded to the top three riders at the finish but only on stages 2-8.

While I wish there weren't bonuses for a stage like the one that ends on the Huy (that will create its own gaps), I'm OK overall with the above details.

That said, with the Huy on Stage 3 breaking up the peloton, I'm not certain I understand the point of time bonuses for stages 4-8. May end up being irrelevant.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 TdF Route: Time Trials be Damned [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love time bonuses, most of our local stage races have pretty big time bonuses (12-10-6-4-2) for each stage and on occasion one of the stages will be 15-20 seconds to the winner. This can make for some really exciting racing and allow some guys to take advantage of their strengths. For the TDF i would prefer an all or nothing mentality, either bonuses on each stage and intermediate bonuses or none. The fun of time bonuses is that a cancellara, martin, kiwotkawskie (butchered i know), or Sagan could in theory compete with the climbers if they wanted to readjust their focus. In fact Cancellara admitted years ago that he wanted to go after the GC but then with the move away from time bonuses never gave it a shot.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 TdF Route: Time Trials be Damned [-Mike-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could have time bonuses of 1 min, 30 sec and 20 sec and the guys you listed would still not be competitive in the Tour. (Kwiatkowski being the possible exception).

But you just hit upon the issue with time bonuses.....it warps the competition into something else.

Quote Reply

Prev Next