Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Di2 6770 synchronized shifting
Quote | Reply
Does anybody know if Shimano plans to add synchronized shifting (one-handed shifting) to the Ultegra Di2 6770 series? Based on the E-tube site it looks like it might only be available in XTR Di2 for now.

Thanks,
-Brad
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 6770 synchronized shifting [baj1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pedant: You mean sequential shifting.

My guess is that maybe Di2 Dura Ace 2015 will have sequential shifting and it will trickle down from there. I would be surprised the current Di2 products get a firmware update to enable the feature. I would love to be surprised though.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 6770 synchronized shifting [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The E-tube site calls it "synchronized shifting" (animated video at link below).
http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/synchronized_shift.html

It is also referred to as one-handed shifting. So far the 6770 has received the same updates at the 9070, so as long as the 2015 flavor is still 9070 that would work well for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, shimano uses that term. I don't think it make much sense as the front and rear deraileurs are not really synchronized... not synchronized in the way manual transmission gears are synchronized when shifting. But then again you can't argue with the marketers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this

A. simply changing rings after you reach the lowest/highest acceptable combination for the ring you are currently on?
or

B. automatically changing front and rear deraileurs to give the next highest/lowest combination with each button press?

If it's "A" does the rear deraileur adjust to give you the correct gear for the new ring?

If it's "B" is the front shifting smooth enough that this is not disruptive to pedaling?
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 6770 synchronized shifting [Anachronism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is B.

In the video that I saw that showed the XTR di2 system, it would automatically shift both the front chainring and the rear by 2-3 cogs for a seamless transition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anachronism wrote:
Is this

A. simply changing rings after you reach the lowest/highest acceptable combination for the ring you are currently on?
or

B. automatically changing front and rear deraileurs to give the next highest/lowest combination with each button press?

If it's "A" does the rear deraileur adjust to give you the correct gear for the new ring?

If it's "B" is the front shifting smooth enough that this is not disruptive to pedaling?

Shimano has a good video on how the system operates. I started to type a description but it got confused quickly.

The front shifting is pretty good but having the FD shift when you are not expecting it would take a good bit of time to get used to. It would keep me from cross chaining a lot. I am the worst for riding in my 50-26.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
Anachronism wrote:
Is this

or

Shimano has a good video on how the system operates. I started to type a description but it got confused quickly.

The front shifting is pretty good but having the FD shift when you are not expecting it would take a good bit of time to get used to. It would keep me from cross chaining a lot. I am the worst for riding in my 50-26.
Wow, that video is something. Wish I had a slow motion option.

It looks like it is close to my option A, but oddly, in the 2X11 configuration, when starting on the small chainring big cog and shifting to harder gears it only shifts up 4 cogs before jumping to the big ring and appropriate cog in the back.

Even stranger, when on the big ring and shifting to progressively lower gears it goes all the way to the big/big cross chain combination before shifting to the next gear on the small ring. I assume it has something to do with drivetrain efficiency but I have always avoided that combination and even the next one.

And it looks like 2x11 gives you only 13 different gears. My 2X10 gives 13 different gears without cross chaining and 13 if I used their method, 14 if I stay in the small ring until 36X13 (next gear is 50X17)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
baj1 wrote:
Does anybody know if Shimano plans to add synchronized shifting (one-handed shifting) to the Ultegra Di2 6770 series? Based on the E-tube site it looks like it might only be available in XTR Di2 for now.

Thanks,
-Brad

Yes, I just met with Shimano today and rode some of the local trails just outside my front door with the XTR Di2 with manual, syncro1 and syncro2 shifting options.
I don't think they'll announce future Di2 plans until after the April embargo but I will say the function of sequential shifting with the options they have now on XTR Di2 is a dream come true on a TT bike. I never touched the left side and if I owned a Di2 MTB I'd just remove the left shifter altogether or reconfigure them like the sprint shifters and/or one button TT shifters.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like the road group set shifts exactly the way I would want it to. When downshifting it goes until third from the largest cog then it drops to the small ring and moves the rear to the correct cog. When upshifting it goes to the third from the smallest cog then changes to the big ring and appropriate rear cog. I want!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq_BgmJ3a-o
Quote Reply