Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Toddler balance bikes [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
Has anyone ever done a plywood bike for grown-ups?

Could be a fun project?

First I have to finish my treehouse (seriously). Satellite TV and slide directly into my pool, still to be completed.

THEN a plywood bike.......

Just don't do a plywood slide.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: Toddler balance bikes [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It WILL be plywood :-) but it will be clad in stainless steel.

It will also be hinged and retractable (to under the treehouse) to be out of the way when not in use.

It's a long weekend here in New Zealand starting in about an hour. I hope to have the final 3 walls framed up, the roof framed too (including skylight) as well as plywood on the roof. Next weekend will be shingling the roof, followed by cladding the exterior. After that, before Xmas, it will be wiring, plasterboard lining, wood flooring and other fitout stuff.

My wife thinks I'm an idiot, but that is nothing new.

Maybe the scrap plywood could be the start of my next bike? :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Toddler balance bikes [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spawn makes some very nice kids bikes (12" strider to 20" kids mtn), but they cost a bit.
http://spawncycles.com/

On run bikes pneumatic tires are better than the solid rubber of the "Strider" ones as my children would complain of a sore bum after riding on them for 2 to 3km.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old thread, but my little girl is turning 2 soon and I am in the market for a first bike. My LBS carries Cleary bikes and they seem to be good quality. It looks like their balance bike is the same size as the 12-inch single speed.

My thought was to buy the single speed and remove the crank and chain until she is ready.

Any issues with this or other advice?

https://clearybikes.com/...ecko-12-single-speed

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Toddler balance bikes [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife works for a local bike shop in San Francisco that carries Cleary (based just across the Bay in Sausalito). She absolutely swears by them! I don't think you can go wrong getting a Cleary.

@GrizzlyBaird | Strava | Website
My Supporters: QT2 Systems | The Olympic Club | First Endurance | Rudy Project | BlueSeventy | NormaTec
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Seats to high ...

WD :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Toddler balance bikes [GrizzlyBaird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. I work in SF and live on the peninsula. Palo Alto bicycles carries them and I'll pick one up as soon as babygirl McAwesome's legs are long enough.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a close look. I know that the standover height of a specialized 12" balance bike is way less than their 12" pedal bike.

Usually the true balance bikes are a little easier to get a leg over. My oldest son, who is tall, would have needed another year to ride the specialized hot rock 12 with no pedals when compared to the hot walk.

Note that this info is 6yrs old. But my kids went 12" balance to 12" pedal to 16" pedal to 20" pedal to 24" pedal. I think skipping any of those jumps would have been tough. Since we have 3 kids it made the multiple bikes easier to swallow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
Old thread, but my little girl is turning 2 soon and I am in the market for a first bike. My LBS carries Cleary bikes and they seem to be good quality. It looks like their balance bike is the same size as the 12-inch single speed.

My thought was to buy the single speed and remove the crank and chain until she is ready.

Any issues with this or other advice?

https://clearybikes.com/...ecko-12-single-speed

12 inch balance bikes are fine, but 12 inch pedal bikes are a waste of money, in my opinion. This article has good reasons, why they are a waste, too. http://www.twowheelingtots.com/...d-hotrock-12-review/

We started our first child with a strider balance bike and then I picked up a air filled tire 12 inch diamondback balance bike (this was faster and better over rougher terrain), and then bought a 12 inch specialized hot rock. Don't make that mistake, as I wish I read the article that I linked above prior to buying the 12 inch specialized. The diamondback was great for balance and confidence and both of my kids went straight to riding pedal bikes by their mid to late 3s. Training wheels do a disservice, in my opinion. I ended up buying a isla bike cnoc 16 inch when my older son turned 4 and 1/4. When my smaller son was about 3 3/4 he went from the 12 inch balance to the cnoc 14 inch (we sold the 12 inch specialized because it's really heavy and a 12 inch pedal bike fits a child crappy. 6 months later he went to his older brother's cnoc 16 inch, and the older boy just before he turned 6 went to a 20 inch isla with 7 gears. Isla bikes was founded by a racer and has designed the bike to fit small bodies, exceptionally well, which makes riding a joy for the little ones, just like a well fitting adult bike.

Our kids love cycling and we have a liberal bike budget for them, as the resale value of these bikes is really high. Google islabike reviews or see what they have sold for on eBay. The also make crazy high end kids bikes too, but those are a bit overkill, unless your little one becomes a big time racer. Our older boy did fine in a couple youth triathlons, I just exchanged out the wheels for 20 inch continental slick tires.

I should add they are really really light for kids bikes, too.

http://www.islabikes.com/starter-bikes/.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Jan 19, 17 20:52
Quote Reply
Re: Toddler balance bikes [Skoalz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strider plus pedal driven wee hoo trailer (they make doubles) led to a super easy transition to a regular bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have had a reasonably cheap progression (sub £300) from balance bike to first ‘real’ (geared / 24” wheeled) bike.

Much to my partners annoyance, we started with the hot walk when Roxy was 2 :

I had to cut the seat post down so her feet touched the floor as it bottomed on the inside of the frame.

Later in its life I needed a taller post but as it was 22.2mm, a section of old bent (Titanium !) MTB bars were cut down – hence my first picture in my post above.

From that we moved onto a generic Disney bike (age 4), yes, my partner won the argument on what to get this time … lol

The problem was, is that she also won the argument on leaving the stabilisers on (backwards or what ?). They only lasted one ride though as on a run to the local shop which Roxy had done loads on the balance bike, an off chamber ramp from pavement (sidewalk !) to road pitched her off as she couldn’t lean properly. At Roxy’s request, the stabilisers were taken off and she rode it perfectly from that time onwards.

Christmas just gone (aged 7) she moved onto a nice retro styled geared 24” wheeled bike.

If I am honest, all her bikes have been just a little bit to big when they were first bought and a little too small at the end of their life cycle – but not enough to hinder her or stop her having fun !

This 24” wheeled bike will last a while now, it’s the next bike that will be the expensive one …

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Toddler balance bikes [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:
12 inch balance bikes are fine, but 12 inch pedal bikes are a waste of money, in my opinion. This article has good reasons, why they are a waste, too. http://www.twowheelingtots.com/...d-hotrock-12-review/

We started our first child with a strider balance bike and then I picked up a air filled tire 12 inch diamondback balance bike (this was faster and better over rougher terrain), and then bought a 12 inch specialized hot rock. Don't make that mistake, as I wish I read the article that I linked above prior to buying the 12 inch specialized. The diamondback was great for balance and confidence and both of my kids went straight to riding pedal bikes by their mid to late 3s. Training wheels do a disservice, in my opinion. I ended up buying a isla bike cnoc 16 inch when my older son turned 4 and 1/4. When my smaller son was about 3 3/4 he went from the 12 inch balance to the cnoc 14 inch (we sold the 12 inch specialized because it's really heavy and a 12 inch pedal bike fits a child crappy. 6 months later he went to his older brother's cnoc 16 inch, and the older boy just before he turned 6 went to a 20 inch isla with 7 gears. Isla bikes was founded by a racer and has designed the bike to fit small bodies, exceptionally well, which makes riding a joy for the little ones, just like a well fitting adult bike.

Our kids love cycling and we have a liberal bike budget for them, as the resale value of these bikes is really high. Google islabike reviews or see what they have sold for on eBay. The also make crazy high end kids bikes too, but those are a bit overkill, unless your little one becomes a big time racer. Our older boy did fine in a couple youth triathlons, I just exchanged out the wheels for 20 inch continental slick tires.

I should add they are really really light for kids bikes, too.http://www.islabikes.com/starter-bikes/.[/quote[/url]]

I dont know about availability in US (I'm in Europe), but I'd seriously recommend Frog-bikes. They are light, and our 5 1/2y.o. has had his 14" for over a year now - not being able to break it (which is a miracle, if you saw how it gets treated!:) We also bought a 12" balance-bike for our (then 2 yo. girl) - which was great (also super ligth, and easy to mount/dismount).

I'd also like to add that i think the kids should stick to balancing-bikes until they are ready to go without training-wheels. Our boy got his balancing-bike around 2y.o. at around 2.5 years he became a real fan, and would really get the hang of balancing (and he could go scary fast downhill!). For his 3rd birthday he got a 12" pedal-bike with training-wheels, but didnt really like it (because the traininer-wheels would limit his handling of the bike). Therefore, he stuck with the balance-bike a couple more months, and at around 3.5 years he moved on to the pedal-bike without trainer-wheels. First time without trainer-wheels he rode of on his own.

Our girl, on the other hand, has not been a huge fan of her balance-bike. She also has gotten her own 12" pedal-bike with wheels - and loves that one. I dont see her removing her training-wheels any time soon.

Long story short - get the kids on balance bikes, and keep them there until they are ready to pedal without trainer-wheels.
Quote Reply

Prev Next