Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Half iron in a year? [Dziama12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is totally doable. I went from non-swimmer to sprint in two months to olympic the following month and then HIM the following year. Also, I was a runner prior to doing Tri's and only biked for cross training. I followed Matt Fitzgerald's HIM program (http://triathlon.competitor.com/...-training-plan_12364) and missed no more than 5 of the workouts. The race was relatively easy (much easier than a marathon).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, it is highly unlikely that you'll win. So, with that out of the way, it really depends upon your goals. If you want to have a good time, enjoying the day plus want to get some structured workouts in between now and then, then sure, you can do it. Although you didn't say how old you were. In any case, being able to train daily with what you have already should be good enough. And, if it is your first one, you are really just learning what it is like. Make sure you continue to do some Sprints and Olys so that you learn what to do in Transitions, when the heat is on and you are in a rush. Also, give some serious thought to nutrition. You can get by in a Sprint without anything, an Oly can be done with a few gels but a HIM is different.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Half iron in a year? [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have already started doing a lot of nutrition reading and tri reading in general. I'm 30 btw. Lots of good advice here, really appreciate everyone's input. I'm going to start a Oly training plan in the beginning of the year (increasing my miles and strentgh now), then start the HIM training when that's done. There's 14 weeks between the two. Or is there a different approach I should take?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd focus on the HIM now and use the Oly as a training day.

Start building up your miles over the winter, your run distance looks low have a read of the BarryP run plan posts (link below) its a great way of building your run distance.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...h_string=runtraining

Swimming - This is a nice plan that is quite similar to the the BP running and builds you up at low intensity you'll probably need to aim for 6 - 9k per week

http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/.../4-weeks-to-a-1500pb

Cycling - you're going to need to bike a lot more. Try to get a couple 1hr rides in each week. one based around longer intervals eg 4 x 10 or 2 x 20 and the other with shorter efforts such as 6 x 30s sprints scattered within a 1 hour ride. In addition get in a longer ride each week. doesnt need to be epic but build aim for 2hr+ and add more race effort to it as the season progresses.

I went 4:57 at my first HIM on that kind training in my second season
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can do it. If you put in consistent training between now and then it should be no problem. I went from never having been on a bike and not having swam in 15 years to doing my first half ironman in about 3 months. I wasn't an endurance athlete in any way either.

The key is consistency. Not the volume of training, but getting out there every day will lead to stady gains. 2 runs a week and 1 bike every two weeks is not near enough though but surely you know that. You'll need to work up to at least 3-4 runs a week and 2-3 bikes a week, while ramping up the distance on those swims.

-Andrew
Quote Reply

Prev Next