Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Please. Unplug. [pedalbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pedalbiker wrote:
pattersonpaul wrote:
I really don't care that some people like to listen to their precious tunes while cycling/running. Most of
them will have a greater chance of being a Darwin Award winner than an age group award winner but that's
none of my business.

I only wish they'd come clean and admit that endurance sports are so boring to them that they need the crutch of
music to get through their workout. That is all.

I don't understand the animosity. If you really don't care and it's none of your business like you say, then what's with the attacks?

I've run a sub 17 5k and am a Cat 1 cyclist, meaning I've won quite a few things and put in tens of thousands of miles. And as I said earlier, I always wear headphones when solo. Just like I always listen to music when I drive, just like I usually listen to music when I'm working or doing things at home. I like listening to music so I do it for a number of activities. It has nothing to do with boredom so much as it has to do with doing multiple things I like at once. I don't need a "crutch" to do anything.

I don't understand why this bothers people so much that they have to attack people out of the blue. There's no moral or intellectual superiority here because you don't want to listen to music.

Been lurking this thread for a while and finally had to chime in. Basically to say +1.

Agegrouper here, in a oly usually go sub 1, IM bike PB of 4.42. KQ. Did Norseman a couple of times. Was European AG champion LD (ETU) this year.
Always ride with earplugs when alone. Listen to books, podcasts and talkradio. Never music, but that's just because it's not my thing. I like it.
It lets my mind wander. Think. Explore. Learn.

In 10 years on the bike i had 3 crashes. The first time on the bike, when i forgot i was clipped in and fell over, sometime when a girl on a regular bike decided to do an instant u-turn without checking if there was any other traffic on the bikepath, and 2 months ago when I had to pee during a group ride and misjudged my ability to Sagan-jump onto a boardwalk.

Accidents happen. Accidents happen more to people that don't know how to control their transportation of choice. Accidents happen more to assholes. None of these factors are correlated to having in earplugs while biking.

Feels a little like an Headphonewearers Anonymous meeting... ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Please. Unplug. [JV99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jacob
Remember that you are from a country with a strong cycling culture and intelligent.
Quote Reply
Re: Please. Unplug. [Jamie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamie wrote:
I agree. Not just safety but socially I think it retards out society. I ran a marathon yesterday (the Mount Desert Island marathon near Acadia Maine) About half the people on the course were in their own world totally self absorbed.

During the 3 to 4 hours it takes the average guy or gall to complete the marathon can't you be present in the moment and aware of your surroundings???

was up there and ran the half. so true. i can see if it's a first timer needing the help. but otherwise. if you can't get through without music you haven't enjoyed running just yet.

john
Quote Reply
Re: Please. Unplug. [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
I really don't care that some people like to listen to their precious tunes while cycling/running. Most of
them will have a greater chance of being a Darwin Award winner than an age group award winner but that's
none of my business.
More confirmation that people who use the phrase "Darwin Award" tend be jackasses.

Also, http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/..._type=blogs&_r=1

http://www.jt10000.com/
Last edited by: jt10000: Oct 25, 14 12:38
Quote Reply
Re: Please. Unplug. [pedalbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pedalbiker wrote:
pattersonpaul wrote:
none of my business.

I only wish they'd come clean and admit that endurance sports are so boring to them that they need the crutch of
music to get through their workout. That is all.

I don't understand the animosity.
I'll speculate that a lot of it comes from fear. You have to be a little more careful with music and some people can't or won't do that. But rather than accept that that is about them, they instead try to create a binary analysis of safety in their own mind, putting listening to music when riding outside the pale of things that can be done safely. And then they pile on other things they dislike about it.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Please. Unplug. [Jamie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamie wrote:
I agree. Not just safety but socially I think it retards out society. I ran a marathon yesterday (the Mount Desert Island marathon near Acadia Maine) About half the people on the course were in their own world totally self absorbed.

During the 3 to 4 hours it takes the average guy or gall to complete the marathon can't you be present in the moment and aware of your surroundings???

I'm not socializing during a marathon regardless of ear buds or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Please. Unplug. [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
Jacob
Remember that you are from a country with a strong cycling culture and intelligent.

I'll do my best to keep that in mind Halvard ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Please. Unplug. [beachedbeluga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I came here to post "but the gadgets is how I earn a living. Not everyone staring at a screen is texting or on Facebook. When I'm on the phone or the tablet I'm working." But then I see you are referring to people enjoying outdoor activities and still they can't unplug. Agree 100%. Especially when riding. Anyone who thinks their safety is not affected when they have MP3 earbuds on the bike is going to find out just how wrong they are. Let's hope they only get soft tissue injuries.....
Quote Reply

Prev Next