Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Power meter and accuracy, how accurate is mine? [PaulSh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PaulSh wrote:
I am about your size, and just looking at your ride I would say that your recorded power is in the right range.
Not sure where you get 250w from, as your average power was only 213w for the ride? All the numbers have a meaning, not just the ones you choose to remember.
You would benefit from having heart rate data as well - to help work out your training zones, among other things.
I recommend that you should read some books on the subject such as 'Training and racing with a power meter' by Allen and Coggan
I also found that using training software, such as Golden Cheetah, was useful when starting out with power measurement, as it gave a real insight to what my body was doing when exercising, especially as the ride database increased in size.

How can heart rate help work out training zones with power? And what other things can be done with heart rate when you have power?
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter and accuracy, how accurate is mine? [PatrickOfSteele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dropped your file into Golden Cheetah's Aerolab and your numbers seem to make sense.
The climb at the end helps.

Your TSS numbers don't make sense because you have not set your FTP properly. It thinks your FTP is 200.
Last edited by: marcag: Oct 20, 14 15:31
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter and accuracy, how accurate is mine? [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
npage148 wrote:
RChung wrote:
npage148 wrote:
as long as you're only using one powermeter accuracy doesn't matter, only repeatability and precision.

Unless you want to brag about your numbers a powermeter is a tool to guide racing and training, and accuracy has no bearing on its ability to do that. As long as it spits out a consistent number session after session who cares if 250w is actually 225w or 280w

http://www.bikeradar.com/...-power-meters-38377/

Hmmm. OK.

1. Angry Asian is an idiot.
2. Don't be an idiot like Angry Asian.
3. People who think that the only use for a power meter is as a tool to guide racing and training don't know what they don't know. Since you're the one who said that, that applies to you.
4. There are things that only require consistency, that's true; but there are also things that require accuracy, not just consistency. Estimation of drag parameters requires accuracy, not just consistent numbers. Ramp tests depend on the ramp steps being the same size across all steps, not just consistency so if you ever do a graded exercise test you'll need accuracy. Estimation of FRC (which is rumored to be part of the new WKO+ 4) will require accuracy across the entire range of power because it measures fatigue and recovery, and consistency won't be enough for that. Plus, if a power meter were truly consistent in the sense you mean, you could simply recalibrate it to make it accurate. If you could do that and you don't then you're either lazy or an idiot.
5. You may not need (or want, or in your case, know how) to do things that require accuracy but claiming that no one else needs accuracy either is an idiotic thing to say. Kinda douchebaggy,too. Don't be so proud to be a douchebag.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter and accuracy, how accurate is mine? [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

RChung wrote:
npage148 wrote:
RChung wrote:
npage148 wrote:
as long as you're only using one powermeter accuracy doesn't matter, only repeatability and precision.

Unless you want to brag about your numbers a powermeter is a tool to guide racing and training, and accuracy has no bearing on its ability to do that. As long as it spits out a consistent number session after session who cares if 250w is actually 225w or 280w

http://www.bikeradar.com/...-power-meters-38377/

Hmmm. OK.

1. Angry Asian is an idiot.
2. Don't be an idiot like Angry Asian.
3. People who think that the only use for a power meter is as a tool to guide racing and training don't know what they don't know. Since you're the one who said that, that applies to you.
4. There are things that only require consistency, that's true; but there are also things that require accuracy, not just consistency. Estimation of drag parameters requires accuracy, not just consistent numbers. Ramp tests depend on the ramp steps being the same size across all steps, not just consistency so if you ever do a graded exercise test you'll need accuracy. Estimation of FRC (which is rumored to be part of the new WKO+ 4) will require accuracy across the entire range of power because it measures fatigue and recovery, and consistency won't be enough for that. Plus, if a power meter were truly consistent in the sense you mean, you could simply recalibrate it to make it accurate. If you could do that and you don't then you're either lazy or an idiot.
5. You may not need (or want, or in your case, know how) to do things that require accuracy but claiming that no one else needs accuracy either is an idiotic thing to say. Kinda douchebaggy,too. Don't be so proud to be a douchebag.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter and accuracy, how accurate is mine? [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you call a power meter that is neither accurate nor consistent?

Stages.
Last edited by: Nick B: Oct 20, 14 16:07
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter and accuracy, how accurate is mine? [PatrickOfSteele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A good way to tell is using basic estimation with physics and ride a hard climb (7%-10% average) of about 20 to 30 minutes.
The slower the climb the better since aerodynamic effects will be negligible enough. Also keep as consistent power output as you can.
Map out your ride on mapmyride.com since elevation on there is more accurate than your GPS/Garmin/Strava file.

Power is Work done over time. Your work gone is mgh (mass times acceleration of gravity times height). Power is therefore (approximately) is (Mass)*g*(elevation gained)/(time in seconds)

Mass in kilograms (kg) including rider weight, bike weight, water bottles, jerseys, spare tube, etc (those little weight matter)
g = 9.81 m/s^2, acceleration from gravity
elevation gained = in meters, how much you climbed

This is neglecting drag, rolling resistance, drive train loss and all that good stuff. But it gives you a really good idea and ball park of =/- 10 watts to let you know how accurate your power meter is.

I do a climb around my area that's around 30 minutes along and rather steep, 2531 feet over 5.2 miles (9% average grade). Last year to test this, I used a powertap and my average power was 323 watts.
My weight was 67kg, bike about 9kg. I did the climb in 30 minutes. If you plug in the numbers you will get 319 watts. So it's a good test.
http://www.strava.com/activities/92620397, here's strava file
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/564353238, mapped route with elevation for your reference

hope this helps

Yu Hsiao
yuxjsaoracing.weebly.com

Yu Hsiao,
your local professional triathlete from San Francisco Bay Area.
http://www.facebook.com/yuxsjaoracing
http://www.yuxsjao.com
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter and accuracy, how accurate is mine? [yuxsjao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yuxsjao wrote:
A good way to tell is using basic estimation with physics and ride a hard climb (7%-10% average) of about 20 to 30 minutes.
The slower the climb the better since aerodynamic effects will be negligible enough. Also keep as consistent power output as you can.

You are correct.
But really easy : drop the file in Aerolab and it does all the physics and calculations for you

this is what I did and his numbers seem to make sense. He does a climb at the end of the ride that do what you mention, ie reduce aero effect.

If we have Aerolab is largely thanks to Dr Chung, who posted above.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter and accuracy, how accurate is mine? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
yuxsjao wrote:

You are correct.
But really easy : drop the file in Aerolab and it does all the physics and calculations for you

this is what I did and his numbers seem to make sense. He does a climb at the end of the ride that do what you mention, ie reduce aero effect.

Or...just check the static torque output as I linked to above...that's the most accurate way of checking your PM output.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter and accuracy, how accurate is mine? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
marcag wrote:
yuxsjao wrote:

You are correct.

Or...just check the static torque output as I linked to above...that's the most accurate way of checking your PM output.

A.k.a. perform a "stomp test", as I first described >15 y ago: https://groups.google.com/...mndbKeg/fYmeQBa4ksUJ
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter and accuracy, how accurate is mine? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
odd
I am married to dirk diggler

But only for 1 min.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter and accuracy, how accurate is mine? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
marcag wrote:
yuxsjao wrote:

You are correct.

A.k.a. perform a "stomp test", as I first described >15 y ago: https://groups.google.com/...mndbKeg/fYmeQBa4ksUJ

Yup...and physics doesn't have an expiration date :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter and accuracy, how accurate is mine? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
jackmott wrote:
odd
I am married to dirk diggler

But only for 1 min.

And the only reason we know that, is because the power meter is also accurate.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter and accuracy, how accurate is mine? [fwrunco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fwrunco wrote:
That looks about right, assuming that ride was on the road. If I avg around 20 mph my watts are almost always around 200-215 NP, closer to 200 AP. I'm a little smaller than you, but I have found that on an out and back, no matter what the wind, solo ride, the higher the watts, the faster the avg speed. So your file looks pretty spot on.
200 watts and u only sit on 30 km/hr?
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter and accuracy, how accurate is mine? [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if you wanted to use tools like BestBikeSplit to guide your racing? A consistent but inaccurate power meter would result in a bad pacing plan.

What if you collect 3 years of data, learn all sorts of great things like what training load gets you in peak shape, how to taper, etc etc, then your power meter dies and you need a new one.

Now you have to start over.

What if the inaccuracy of your power meter is not a constant offset, but some non linear error, or the error involves discontinuity? Then using it to hit power zones or for pacing or for measuring progress will be problematic.

If you power meter was inaccurate but consistent why not calibrate it so it is also accurate? It only require addition to do so.

npage148 wrote:
Unless you want to brag about your numbers a powermeter is a tool to guide racing and training, and accuracy has no bearing on its ability to do that.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter and accuracy, how accurate is mine? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
If you power meter was inaccurate but consistent why not calibrate it so it is also accurate? It only require addition to do so.
Only if your power meter permits you. The majority of brands don't.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter and accuracy, how accurate is mine? [Watt Matters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can't calibrate a power meter you really do need to find out how accurate it is.

If you know it is consistently say 3% high then you can allow for it. But how do you test it to check its accuracy?

If you can't calibrate it and you have no method of testing its accuracy I can't see that its of much use other than for entertainment.

Perhaps I'm over fussy but as others have said, you need accuracy to test aerodynamics and training gains in fitness can be very small and take time. If you can't reliably and confidently measure small improvements, you could assume you are making small gains when you are in fact losing fitness.
Last edited by: Richard H: Oct 21, 14 1:32
Quote Reply

Prev Next