Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin HRM strap - what caused this (PIC attached) [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Yeah...spikes are not a sign that the battery is dying. I too will try changing the battery, sometimes to no avail.
My troubleshooting/diagnosis/treatment for the straps is:
HR dropouts early in the workout - bad conduction - use gel
HR dropouts late in (or throughout) the workout - bad battery - replace battery
HR dropouts late in the workout /w new battery - bad transmitter pod - new pod (if possible, otherwise all new strap)
HR spikes - static - use different shirt or dryer sheet (dryer sheet works for me with running, but any loose fit cycling jerseys will give static no matter what I try)

I always had problem with the HR dropping late into the workout. I purchased a whole new strap and monitor and still got the same result. From what I understand, sweat actually helps conduct the signal better. However, have you guys ever experienced where too much sweat or water actually causes the drop in HR?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HRM strap - what caused this (PIC attached) [m3bella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The old soft "premium" strap sucks, ditch it. The hard strap worked for me for a couple years and I went back to it after the soft strap started to do the exact same thing you are experiencing. The hard strap was still working just fine (over 5 years of use) when I got the new HRM Run strap with my Fenix 2, looks like this:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/fitness-sensors/hrm-run-/prod133715.html

This one has been rock solid for 6ish months now, way longer than any of the previous model soft straps lasted. It provides some extra functionality though and isn't worth the money if you don't have a compatible device. It does look like the "new" strap is available now:

http://smile.amazon.com/Garmin-Premium-Heart-Monitor-Strap/dp/B00BI9X1QM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413850711&sr=8-1

My old premium strap did not have that conductive material weaved through it and I have a feeling that is what is fixing the issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HRM strap - what caused this (PIC attached) [steelerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a pic of my current HRM strap. My wife's looks a bit different, it's still a soft strap but has a weave or something in it (like steelerguy's link above). I'm thinking of switching strap brand to compare performance. I'll report back my results. It can't be the battery, from what I've read, because a dying battery can't pick itself back up like my plot shows.

Last edited by: m3bella: Oct 20, 14 19:47
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HRM strap - what caused this (PIC attached) [m3bella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the crappy one for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HRM strap - what caused this (PIC attached) [ice_berg_slim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ice_berg_slim wrote:
dfroelich wrote:
Yeah...spikes are not a sign that the battery is dying. I too will try changing the battery, sometimes to no avail.
My troubleshooting/diagnosis/treatment for the straps is:
HR dropouts early in the workout - bad conduction - use gel
HR dropouts late in (or throughout) the workout - bad battery - replace battery
HR dropouts late in the workout /w new battery - bad transmitter pod - new pod (if possible, otherwise all new strap)
HR spikes - static - use different shirt or dryer sheet (dryer sheet works for me with running, but any loose fit cycling jerseys will give static no matter what I try)

I always had problem with the HR dropping late into the workout. I purchased a whole new strap and monitor and still got the same result. From what I understand, sweat actually helps conduct the signal better. However, have you guys ever experienced where too much sweat or water actually causes the drop in HR?

Interesting...I did a trainer ride where I was sweating buckets and did start to get drop outs. I thought the strap was done, but it has been fine otherwise. I could imagine that if someone sweats that much all the time that they would have consistent problems.
Quote Reply

Prev Next