Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Former/current SCY/M sprinters [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
I hate 1 arm. Fins for tempo work suit my stroke better anyways.
For 100 Fly prep lots of 25's at race pace.

Sets of 8-12 @ 30 with 50 easy in between. I am for 14-15 per 25 on those and under 14 on long rest stuff.

I hear ya, but I like it. Different strokes, I don't have a "power" stroke, one arm lets me get the rhythm and timing that I need without killing me for longer repeats. So for 50s and up, it's one arm or something like 3-3-3's. Full stroke fly is reserved for 25's. I used to be able to do longer, but even in college we rarely did more than 75s. Every once in a blue moon it was a set like 5-10 x 200. Those were hellish.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Former/current SCY/M sprinters [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember doing 8x200 fly when I was 11. I was a cocky little shit kicking the asses of a couple of 16 and 17 year olds (& my 14 year old sister :) )

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Former/current SCY/M sprinters [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

For 100s
30x25 on 30 holding race pace for 100m as a main set.

For 50s
then if training for 50s, practice 12 to 15 metre explosions off the wall, swimming the rest of the 50m easy, do as many of them as you can.
Quote Reply
Re: Former/current SCY/M sprinters [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I could remember what I had for breakfast. Remembering swimming sets when 11 has deep seated mental scarring written all over it. 8 x 200 fly confirms why. You must have pissed the coach off or he/she was a sadist. Tough love!
Quote Reply
Re: Former/current SCY/M sprinters [Jensentri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jensentri wrote:
My swim today really had a lot of power and speed-work included so please feel free to be inspired:

WU:
200 free + 4x50 freestyle kick
200 back + 4x50 backstroke kick
200 drill + 4x50 main stroke kick

800 mix of drills, sprint, sculling etc.

Main set:
4x(100 freestyle RP1500 (1500 free pace) @ 1.40 + 100 freestyle RP400 @1.40
200 easy @ 4.00
2x(3x25 RP200 @ 0.30 + 2x50 RP 200 @ 1.00 + 1x75 RP200 @ 1.30 + 200 easy @ 4.00)

4x(3x25 all-out sprint with fins @ 0.40 + 125 easy @ 2.30)

Cool down: 7x100 desc. 1-7

total: 5400m

I tried that main set yesterday and liked it thanks. Made me uncomfortable which is what I'm after. Had to guess at a 1500 race pace b/c that is about #377 on my list of 'likes'. Had to dig to find my Zoomers they were crusty! Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Re: Former/current SCY/M sprinters [gunsbuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coach Deb was special. She was on the 1980 Cdn Olympic team that boycotted Moscow. That may have created some lasting effects.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Former/current SCY/M sprinters [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
Sprint sets:

Fły
10 x 100 (35-45 seconds rest)
2 x
25 fly hard/75 free easy
50 fly hard/50 free easy
75 fly hard/25 fly easy
100 fly hard
100 free easy

Thanks dirty I did this last night and was a fun batch....although the 75 fly the doors came off and car filled with water when I turned for home:/ CRAP I'm out of shape. Back to the winter grind!
Quote Reply
Re: Former/current SCY/M sprinters [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnappingT wrote:
In my opinion, your warm up is about spot on to a little lean. And probably on the lean side for a sprint focus. Triathletes tend to think that it is all about the bottom line yardage and how big they can get that number of yards on their training peaks account. So warm up is just a waste of time.

What is more important is getting in quality sets when you have limited amount of time in the pool. You want to be as warmed up as possible and ready to go from the first 25 of the main set. You don't want to skip warm up to spend the first 1/3 of the main set warming up all for a bigger yardage number at the end of your workout. That's a waste of valuable training time.

Just for the heck of it I tried what I felt was a too long warm up yesterday. So what had been just over 1000ish I took to 1650 just for giggles. Total for the day was 3100 excluding cool down. Felt fantastic and for the lack of swimming I have had the past 3 months my main set went awesome and I felt great right from the first interval. Will try again a few more times to see if this is my new modus operandi. Thanks for the idea that it might have even been a little lean b/c for years I have been thinking to myself 'why does it take me so long to get my engine warm I gotta stop this and get on to the main set.'. When in fact I should have kept on warming up!
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Dec 3, 14 2:18
Quote Reply
Re: Former/current SCY/M sprinters [pdraegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pdraegs wrote:
You could always do this one! http://www.floswimming.org/...Set-Auburn-Sprinters

I'd forgotten how much evil a university swim coach is capable of. The only time I've ever experienced exercise-induced hurl was during a swim set, but it wasn't nearly as sadistic as that.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The hardest set my coach ever gave us was this:

400 IM
450 Free

300 IM
350 Free

200 IM
250 Free

100 IM
150 Free

Each set was on the same interval (So 400 IM and 450 free on the 5:30 or whatever). Repeat 2 or 3 times depend on how much yardage you want. I hated this.
Quote Reply
Re: Former/current SCY/M sprinters [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe Brett Hawke was reprimanded for that set. Really it was quite stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: Former/current SCY/M sprinters [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I believe Brett Hawke was reprimanded for that set. Really it was quite stupid.

I wouldn't be surprised. What I did find interesting was that the kids (if we can call them that) seemed to be getting in to the set and celebrating successes and failures (although I'm not sure as to the definitions of those words in that set either). I'd have been pissed at that set, just on the premise alone. They were motivated and having fun. I'm not sure that counts for much in the development of the athlete but maybe it makes a difference in team camaraderie. There's nothing like cheering for your lane mate who just blew chunks into the lane you have to swim in.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Former/current SCY/M sprinters [duffman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duffman wrote:
hmm tried to type this on the subway and lost the signal...well anyway just wanted to add maybe check out Ande Rasmussen's blog. He posts all his workouts. One of the top guys in the world in M50-54 for fly/IM in particular. You could try to follow some of his workouts.

http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?3156-Ande-s-Swimming-Blog

For anyone who is looking for some great sprint workouts the USMS blog is a gold mine. Wow I have been picking off workouts here the past couple of weeks and what a refreshing blast of short speed stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Former/current SCY/M sprinters [duffman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duffman wrote:
hmm tried to type this on the subway and lost the signal...well anyway just wanted to add maybe check out Ande Rasmussen's blog. He posts all his workouts. One of the top guys in the world in M50-54 for fly/IM in particular. You could try to follow some of his workouts.

I don't know if this will pertain to many ST'ers since it's all distance swimming, but they have threads in there for distance stuff too. I have literally not run out of workouts since I looked into usms.org forums it's an insane wealth of stuff. I've even traded in my underoos for big boy pants and am doing 2 IM days a week which is starting not to suck(they had some training wheel IM progressions and didn't lay 5 x 400IM on the first day!). I read a post in there from a guy in his mid 60's slaying IM sets and I had to sack up and go after that. Anyway, endless workout variety in there folks if you get bored with stale workout sheets!

ajthomas thanks for the info on the warm up sets I've actually bumped it to doing ~ 1800 routinely and my main sets are going off great from the first one.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Jun 17, 15 16:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
duffman wrote:

I don't know if this will pertain to many ST'ers since it's all distance swimming, but they have threads in there for distance stuff too. I have literally not run out of workouts since I looked into usms.org forums it's an insane wealth of stuff. I've even traded in my underoos for big boy pants and am doing 2 IM days a week which is starting not to suck(they had some training wheel IM progressions and didn't lay 5 x 400IM on the first day!). I read a post in there from a guy in his mid 60's slaying IM sets and I had to sack up and go after that. Anyway, endless workout variety in there folks if you get bored with stale workout sheets!

ajthomas thanks for the info on the warm up sets I've actually bumped it to doing ~ 1800 routinely and my main sets are going off great from the first one.

I don't know man, i've always preferred just making it up as i go along depending what feels good and not too tired, e.g. sometimes i can swim good breast and/or IM sets but my freestyle is slow. Some days i do 90% kicking cause my arms are just too tired. I feel like i am creative enough on my own:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Former/current SCY/M sprinters [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
tigerpaws wrote:
duffman wrote:

I don't know man, i've always preferred just making it up as i go along depending what feels good and not too tired, e.g. sometimes i can swim good breast and/or IM sets but my freestyle is slow. Some days i do 90% kicking cause my arms are just too tired. I feel like i am creative enough on my own:)

You have to remember I don't come from a lifetime of swim experience so my memory banks are not stuffed with sprint sets. My exposure was pretty much the standard triathlete threshold nausea: x 100's on some number repeated a million times.
Quote Reply

Prev Next