Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM AZ Gearing [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect, thanks, you just answered a question I was about to post about that. I have never been in a race where I had such a tailwind on a descent that I could have used another gear. I guess next time I do AZ, I will make sure I have a larger chain ring.
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Gearing [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
You will only use the 10-17 gearing so the rest is useless. ( doesn't matter)

This is what I was thinking (except 11-17, as I'm unaware of where you can find a 10-tooth cog).

The 11-25 and 11-28 basically swap out the two largest cogs compared to other cassettes. On the 11-25, a 23 and 25 are your two largest cogs. On the 11-28, a 24 and 28 are your two largest cogs. All other gears are the same.

But on the 11-23, instead of changing the two largest cogs, you get an additional middle cog and one larger cog. So you get a 16-tooth gear (between the 15 and 17) and then get a 23 as the largest cog.

If that 16-tooth gear is helpful for you in your optimal cadence range (which it may be on a flat and fast course), then I wold use an 11-23 cassette.
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Gearing [elburrito99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elburrito99 wrote:
Triathletetoth wrote:
You will only use the 10-17 gearing so the rest is useless. ( doesn't matter)

This is what I was thinking (except 11-17, as I'm unaware of where you can find a 10-tooth cog).

The 11-25 and 11-28 basically swap out the two largest cogs compared to other cassettes. On the 11-25, a 23 and 25 are your two largest cogs. On the 11-28, a 24 and 28 are your two largest cogs. All other gears are the same.

But on the 11-23, instead of changing the two largest cogs, you get an additional middle cog and one larger cog. So you get a 16-tooth gear (between the 15 and 17) and then get a 23 as the largest cog.

If that 16-tooth gear is helpful for you in your optimal cadence range (which it may be on a flat and fast course), then I wold use an 11-23 cassette.

My brain is mush from turkey dinner, so I am just going to ask, but it sounds like for a 55 big ring and a 11-23 cassette would be optimal. You would gain the low end in the big ring and the additional 16th gear for flat road gearing. Seems like this would be a nice middle ground versus the 55 and a 10-28. Thoughts?

-----

"i’m the one guy who says don’t force the stupid people to be quiet — i want to know who the morons are." -- mark cuban
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Gearing [Dnowak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dnowak wrote:
For this particular race, would have helped. But otherwise I am usually fine with the 53 when paired with an 11.

after my chain snapped, I was too paranoid to change into the small chainring (I did want to). I was riding 53 in front and I went up to 23 at the back (on an 11-25) and I was ok. It was tough but it sure kept me focused!

Based on that, I agree with Eric, I think next year I might ride a 55 and an 11-25 cassette. So probably a 55/42 up front

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Gearing [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hadn't thought about the 55 before Eric posted. I agree, I think a 55/42 front and 11-25 or 11-26 would be best for AZ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dnowak wrote:
To post a follow-up on this for future IM AZ races: I ordered an 11-23 cassette, but it didn't come in time before I left so I just raced on my 11-28 and am glad I did. I ended up riding a 4:42 so just what I expected. What I didn't expect what the very strong headwind which got stronger by the lap. I was going 13mph for a time on 3rd lap "climb" up to Shea. I was in the small ring and the 25 cassette for this and was very glad to have more gears than an 11-23. Coming back, could have definitely used a 10 or smaller though as I was going 45 mph with minimal effort. If I was to do again, I would go with an 11-25 or 11-26 in case there are high winds.

x2 on this. Maybe bring 11-23 and 11-25, if you care. Headwinds going up the grade made this essentially a "hilly" course this year, but steady 15-20 mph headwinds with 30 mph gusts are not at all the norm. I've ridden an 53/39 with 11-25 all 3 times at IMAZ and didn't use my easiest gears until this year. Mashers with big gears up front could've gotten away with 11-23; spinners would've probably used all gears in an 11-28.

--------------
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Gearing [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
Dnowak wrote:
For this particular race, would have helped. But otherwise I am usually fine with the 53 when paired with an 11.

after my chain snapped, I was too paranoid to change into the small chainring (I did want to). I was riding 53 in front and I went up to 23 at the back (on an 11-25) and I was ok. It was tough but it sure kept me focused!

Based on that, I agree with Eric, I think next year I might ride a 55 and an 11-25 cassette. So probably a 55/42 up front

Great so you tested the single chain ring concept. Cool! Honestly, I think 54T with a 11-28 could be used on most courses except ones with steep climbs putting you under 10mph. For flat or rolling courses without a strong wind, maybe a 50T.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM AZ Gearing [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started running a 54-42 with 11-28 (10 speed) in September. It's a little more challenging to climb with when the grade gets to 15%, but overall worth the benefit. I very rarely spin out now, and was cruising with the 54-11 on the way down the Beeline @ IMAZ each lap.

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode 4:38 on 55/42 and 11-23. I never ran out of easy gears and loved the 55-11 coming home. I'd run the same setup again on that course without question, especially since the wind this year was reportedly about as bad as it ever gets.
Quote Reply

Prev Next