Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [xc800runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xc800runner wrote:
rroof wrote:

I've NEVER seen 20mg highway - maybe at 65mph cruising ... more like high 18s to 19. City about 12. I've put 30,000+ miles now on mine (BTW, they are no longer made) and have averaged 14.6 mpg combined over that time per computer. Of course, now around 680 hp (crank) though ;-)

I rounded up.

What did you do to boot it to 680? My neighbor has a Hennesy spec V sedan (I'm in Houston, so they're pretty close) that kicks out 650. I wan't to make him a little jealous. The best part is watching him try to drive it in the rain. Hilarity. Though he does have Pilot sport cups on it which aren't helping anything. Until he gets to the track.

Long tube headers, cat(s) delete, X-pipe, intake, 2.55 upper pulley, 8.x lower pulley, ported supercharger snout, dyno tune. Had CAM, but back to stock since so "lumpy". Mild suspension drop/wheel changes since so severely traction limited.

Re: Triathlon Vehicle [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This one ought to get the job done ~ LOL

http://www.falcobike.com
https://www.facebook.com/falcobikeglobal
http://www.twitter.com/Falco_Bike
falcobike@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [WaitWhat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am another vw tdi jettawagon owner. Roof racks on top for when the kids travel with us. Otherwise I can carefully get two bikes in the back.

And it is fun to drive.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [toebutt769] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toebutt769 wrote:
WaitWhat wrote:
toebutt769 wrote:
i wish they had the new passat wagon here in the US.

There are so many cars I wish were available in the US, from wagons to more diesel options.

I've said this before, but BMW 520d wagon 6sp manual

Manual wagon is rare enough, factor in AWD and your options are now gone entirely in the US.

If you even consider it a wagon ( I don't really but some call my A3 a wagon some don't) the Subaru Crosstrek is the only awd manual wagon available as of 2015 model year.

The new alltraks passat or jetta (think it will be a golf in the US now like rest of world) if AWD will most likely be DSG only no manual.

Sad :(
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [mjdwyer23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this thing looks AWESOME. got any more pics of the inside?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:

I don't disagree with you, but don't really agree either. :)

Tires are a massive factor though which is very right and unfortunately the issue is many people think oh I have AWD I don't need winter tires.

Good video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfuE00qdhLA

short version

fwd summer no go
fwd winters lots of go
awd summers somewhat go
awd winters best

Bah. I drive through insane winter conditions in my AWD Volvo.
I have all season Pirella Cinturato P7 All Season Plus. Best. Tire. Ever.
Almost as good as winter tires, but don't have to swap in summer.
They are so much better than the winter rated Nokian WRG2's I used to have.
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Oct 17, 14 12:28
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [threefire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or This? not the same but I saw something almost similar at Ironman TX a few days before.

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some all seasons are good in snow. some are crap. some snow tires are good, and some are crap. On average though, snow tires are going to be better than all seasons, especially if the all seasons are getting a bit worn.

which reminds me, I need to get new tires this winter. The tread was low enough that they weren't going to get another winter out of them, so I've been driving on the winters all summer. Probably Michelin x-ice...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [Chino_ironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two votes for the Honda Element (we have 2 of them). Very practical, reliable and quite comfortable. They're available with AWD, which works well even in deeper snow. We have one with AWD, one without & they both do fine w/good tires. Neither are race cars but that wasn't the quality I was looking for. They hold a lot of gear, bikes, dogs, whatever, and all models except the SC are not carpeted. This sounds really cheap until you experience the utilitarianess (not a real word, I know) of it being so easy to clean after being trashed. An Element may initially look like a rolling toaster and have the aerodynamics of a brick. Spruce it up with a bunch of race stickers and it becomes 'cool with a purpose' :) They are essentially a CRV mechanically with a utilitarian body. Some people would call Elements ugly, I say they have character that grows on you when you see what they can do...
Other cars that I have/have owned & mentioned here...If you're only travelling a short distance, a bike & gear fits easily in the back of my Nissan Leaf. No gas at all but limited to about 70 miles unless you've got access to a charging area at your stop/turnaround.
Prius was no problem fitting a bike in back averaged 45-47 mpg but the A/C in it really sucked. It responded much better than expected when someone in the opposite direction lost control, crossed over & hit my wife nearly head on two months ago. Car was totaled but my wife walked away with only bruises & soreness. A couple of Subaru's (Outback & Forester), both worked equally well and AWD was excellent. They got a little expensive to maintain as miles went up & showed the dirt & grime much more than the Elements do. Also had a Passat Wagon TDI. Very nice/comfortable car, easy to fit two bikes & gear but as miles went up, dollar'd me to death with electronic problems, emissions issues, being unreliable, etc. Was cheap on fuel, expensive to own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a 2010 Ford Fusion, and it has proven to be a great triathlon schlepping-mobile.
This summer, en route to a XTERRA race, I successfully fit two 29'er MTBs (along with tent, backpacks, sleeping bags) in the trunk with the rear seats folded down and the front wheels taken off.
With the 60/40 split fold down rear seats, I've also been able to get a third passenger in the back plus a road bike.
It gets around 30 mpg and is very low maintenance.
Last edited by: busynizzy: Oct 17, 14 18:16
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have always wanted m5 estate or amg
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Some all seasons are good in snow. some are crap. some snow tires are good, and some are crap. On average though, snow tires are going to be better than all seasons, especially if the all seasons are getting a bit worn.

which reminds me, I need to get new tires this winter. The tread was low enough that they weren't going to get another winter out of them, so I've been driving on the winters all summer. Probably Michelin x-ice...

Pay the extra $20 per tire and get Bridgestone Blizzaks. So much better that you won't believe it.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had them before, but Michelin has a production facility here. Buy local, and all that crap...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Tesla Model X

does any one else think this looks like a Mini with wings :-)

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [raygovett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
think driving style would help us help you. I drive fast, and my car doesn't go to work with me(work van). So I had 3 things I wanted when I bought a car.
1)fast, handles and brakes well
2)drivable in snow
3)haul bikes

I'm currently driving a 2013 wrx hatch.
Hitch with 1up rack is perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [toebutt769] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm currently trying to convince myself that VW is going to bring the new Golf R Wagon stateside.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
For some reason, that still eludes me, these days, as soon as a kid comes along a truck or a van seems to be the entry vehicle. And if the owner is a triathlete, then it's an Escalade sized planet destroyer.

This isn't a triathlete thing, it is a U.S. thing. My brothers have 1 and 2 kids, as soon as their wives were pregnant for the first time apparently it was time for the 7-passenger vehicles (Mercedes GL and Honda Odyssey). We have one child and our primary vehicle is a 2-door hatch, no issues whatsoever and we have taken it on several family trips which included 500+ miles of driving where it was packed full (I though, do not in any way drive it aggressively). On one occasion we even had to transport my daughter and two toddler nieces to my mother's home 10 miles away, we were able to fit all three car seats in the back along with all of their stuff in the hatch. Wasn't comfy, but it was a once in 3yrs 10min drive. Wife is due with child #2 next spring, no plans for a new vehicle. I guess having room for 4-more people and all their stuff would be convenient once in a blue moon, but not convenient enough where I am going to spend $20k more for the vehicle and the added monthly premium for gas/insurance. To each their own, I much prefer the European philosophy where cost efficiency is a lot more important.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [FishOutofWater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishOutofWater wrote:
I'm currently trying to convince myself that VW is going to bring the new Golf R Wagon stateside.

I'm actually trying to convince TriSpouse that a Scirocco 2 litre turbo needs a home in our driveway. They are sweeeeeet

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
triflorida wrote:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...0best%20car;#5052505

Here's a ton of info. I drive a Prius. With all seats down, one bike will lay flat with both wheels on. With one carseat in the back and one seat down, we can fit two bikes (front wheels off) and frames leaning to the side. However, my bike is a small Shiv and hers is an XS QR. We also have an Outback. We still pack the same, but there's a ton more room left over...and we normally use our Kuat rack on the back of it anyway.

+1 for a Prius

The ability to fit a couple bikes inside is great, but the big draw for me is the gas mileage—easily over 50 mpg and close to 60 mpg if I'm hypermiling. Plus, what aeroweenie wouldn't appreciate the super low CdA and Kamm tail?

2 of us drove a prius to Milwaukee for nationals, and brought back a third that flew in for the race. We had 1 hard-side bike case and three guys' gear inside the car, plus 2 additional bikes on the hitch mounted rack. I drove 75ish and we averaged around 45 mpg. There are plenty of full size cars that can't fit that much stuff inside, and most are lucky to hit 25mpg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
subaru forester
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [weekss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+2 for the Element... Love mine. Driven it across the country a couple of times. With a hitch mounted two bike rack, it's really great for local races - carries all kinds of stuff. Too bad they're not making them any more.
(Also, have a 26' class A motor home for distant, and some local, races and the semi-annual migration between summer home in WA and winter home in FL - stupid expensive way to go, but you can't beat the comfort and convenience).

Remember Luddites are people too...
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [triguy12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy12 wrote:
subaru forester

I'm actually looking to replace my Forester. It was ok for a while, but at about 140k it is starting to fall apart. While it is rather old (I bought it in 2000), I did not expect it to be coming apart before reaching 150k. I've probably spent more than $6000 in the last few years in repairs.

On uphills it was under powered. On moderate to steep hills I found that even if I floored it in 5th gear it could not maintain speed and had to downshift.

I am looking at vehicles of similar size or slightly larger to replace, but won't buy another Subaru.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [helo guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toyota FJ Crusier is all you need!

-------------------
Trying since 81
-------------------
Quote Reply

Prev Next