Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [ironjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are a man with a known history of anger to those around you. You are in your 50s to 60s.(edit...WOW, you were 68 When this happened!) This was not the first time something like this happened. Its the first time you were caught. Something else will come out, it always does.
You do not serve on a board at your pleasure. You serve at the pleasure of those that you represent. You don't plan to resign? Great. I plan to make my voice heard as opposition to you, and i will be cutting up my card at the next event with the USAT in attendance if you are still representing USA Triathlon.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Last edited by: Sbernardi: Oct 14, 14 17:09
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Are you trying to say this was the first time? Why did folks not get told of this before the election? If there was nothing to hide them why was it hidden?"

dave, i note you wrote this responding to me. are you asking me?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironjack wrote:
Please let me personally respond. Yes I pled to a misdemeanor and not a felony as you so inaccurately state, which was part of the entire procedure. The fact is I was offered and accepted deferred adjudication and if you read further, I have no conviction. Unlike Mr. Rice, there was no effort on my part or of the federation "to cover this up". The Federation was aware of it within 72 hours of the incident and monitored my progression thru the justice system. I did 80 hours of community service, I was on probation for 8 months and under Texas law was removed and case closed as a result of my good behavior and counseling. I did 8 weeks of group counseling and then another year of individual counseling. The Board had sessions on this in 2013 and one in 2014 which discussed this and the USOC was well aware of my issues.. Under the USAT By-Laws and the Code of Ethics I violated no rules or by-laws. My record is legally clean. Mr. Rice on the other hand along with NFL owners tried to cover it up, get the legal system to look the other way. I am a volunteer, I signed no morality clause and I have paid fully for my mistake. So unless you personally are without any mistakes in your life, I suggest you let this go. I do note that I am posting by my real name and ID, you on the other hand are not telling us who you are, so let me ask you, who's the real coward here??

To answer your question Jack, the real coward here is you, for beating on a woman. Beating on a woman is not a mistake as you might have us believe. It is a despicable, hate filled, act committed by misogynistic bullies. You have no business being involved in our sport, you belong in jail. I am glad you are no longer part of USAT. Words can't express what a disgraceful, loathsome individual you are. Don't ever associate yourself with our sport in any capacity ever again.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's still involved. He refused to step down from the board.

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jack,

Thank you for volunteering on our board, and working to make this sport better for all of us athletes.

I wish you and your wife the best of luck dealing with these issues.

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Despicable. Absolutely despicable.

You're hiding behind the fact that the board said you were in the clear and thus you're OK. You're not.

Oh and only cowards hit a woman. You sir are a coward.

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [2stepTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to admit never a dull moment on Slowtwitch.

2 thoughts:

1st a board member (Treasurer) on USAT hit he's wife and he said "He's not resigning"? Shows the moral dysfunction of USAT. What you do in your personal life WILL effect your professional life, fact. And the way an organization deals with that moral black eye represents the morality of the organization.

2nd the OP brought this up, which is already in the news, not "insider information". So why does the OP need to say who he is? This isn't trial by "Internet" this guy has already been tried in a court of law, no?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I guess technically I'm an anonymous user, you can easily find my identity via my username.

As a dues paying member of the USAT I respectfully request that you resign from and disassociate yourself from the organizations leadership immediately.

There is no place for someone who is capable of doing what you've openly admitted to doing, having any type of position with the organization.

Regards,

James R. Cruse
Membership # 171146

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [Run For Money] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to the Chicago Trib article the OP linked to, the USAT board is prevented from taking any further action against Jack Weiss. He resigned his position as Treasurer under pressure, but USAT bylaws prevent the broad from forcing another member out.

However, I do agree with Dan's and your points re: the OP. His motives are clearly suspect.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Beating on a woman is not a mistake as you might have us believe. It is a despicable, hate filled, act committed by misogynistic bullies. You have no business being involved in our sport, you belong in jail. I am glad you are no longer part of USAT. Words can't express what a disgraceful, loathsome individual you are. Don't ever associate yourself with our sport in any capacity ever again."

i know i'm going to catch hell for this, but, here goes.

first, jack was in jail. at least, that's my understanding. are you saying he should be there forever?

second, jack is a part of USAT. still, he's on the board. which tells me really how closely you've been following this.

so, look, i understand that you hate the act of spousal abuse. as do i. but, whereas i really really really hate it, you really really really really hate it. is that helpful? is your extra "really" helpful?

let me tell you why you're very glad i'm not in charge of the code of conduct at USAT. i am kind of old school, i guess, because i stick cheating on wives right up there not too far below beating on wives. maybe even with it. so, if somebody who committed spousal abuse should never be involved in triathlon, at any level - on the board, as a race director, as a participant - if there's a lifetime ban for anyone who's hit his wife (as you seem to think appropriate), from my perspective what ought the ban to be for someone who's cheated on his wife? because, in my book, that's right up there.

the internet in general, and this forum in particular, is where flawed people get to let fly on other flawed people with all the righteous indignation that can be mustered. i don't think your post was helpful because, based just on the statistics on spousal abuse, something like 50,000 of our sport in the united states have been spousal abusers sometime in their lives, and double or triple that have cheated on their spouses. my view, there ought to be some way back from our sins. jack's wife would absolutely hate what you wrote. she would like some way back for her husband. that's her choice.

is there not a way to both abhor the act, abhor the behavior, require remorse, require recompense, protect our sport and our sport's federation adequately, and reasonably, soberly discuss what really ought to be our sport's posture toward lines that are crossed? your post sounds just so much like what has been written about meredith kessler. brett sutton. just waaay over the top text, where there's nothing other than binary choice between jail, hanging, lifetime ban on the one hand, which polarizes folks on the other side. this means whoever is responsible for the reasonable way forward can't include you in the discussion.

at some point somebody is going to have to come up with changes in our sport's code of conduct. and what really ought to happen to jack weiss as re his involvement in the future in triathlon and in the board of directors. grown ups will have to make these determinations. my question, do you really want to be a part of that discussion? or do you just want to be righteously indignant?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish you the best. I won't judge you beyond what your wife, the legal system or you have done. That said, you hit a woman and you represent an organization with tens of thousands of women.

I am proud of my USAT/Tri-Fed number. Low enough to imply a 1988 start date. I love this sport. Please resign.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I plan to make my voice heard as opposition to you, and i will be cutting up my card at the next event with the USAT in attendance if you are still representing USA Triathlon."

So that means that you'll be done with USAT races? Or maybe you'll pay the one day membership for the rest of your life. That'll show em.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [2stepTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What Jack did is despicable. I've don't know him and based on this I never want to know him.

That being said, thank god most of the world doesn't feel like the people in this thread or he'd never be allowed to work, have a hobby or go out in public again. He committed a crime, was upfront about it, paid his debt to society, made things right with his wife and is getting on with his life. Should he not be allowed to be a part of any organization ever again? I wouldn't share a beer with him, but I'm also not going to deny him the liberty to go about his life.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The cronyism on display here is staggering.

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to make light of the situation (and I know its not the same severity) but if we substituted performance enhancing drugs for spousal abuse these same arguments would be made. EPO or spousal abuse is 2 year, 4 year or lifetime ban enough?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok Slowman,

Here is what I have to say.
1. I am aware that Jack is still a part of USAT in some capacity, perhaps the wording of my post was not the best
2. If you or anyone else think that cheating on your wife is even close to being on the same level of evil as spousal abuse you are a very ignorant, misinformed, and perhaps not real smart individual with some very distorted perspectives.
3. As a member of USAT I plan to make my voice heard on this issue and will be contacting friends, teammates, and acquaintances who are also USAT members to contact our organization and speak out about this man.
4. Based on your post here on this issue I don't think I will be participating on any more discussions or viewing this website ever again.

I hope that you can get some better perspective on this issue, our society is far too dismissive of domestic violence. Actually, we are far to permissive of all violence. It is a sad state of affairs in America when we just casually dismiss evil, heinous acts of violence as if they are simply routine mistakes that anyone can make. Violence isn't a mistake, it isn't a discussion point, and those who commit violent acts need to face more serious punitive measures.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, I am always reminded of a saying when I see all of this pent up rage: "Look in the mirror, sister. You might just be talking about yourself."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you just compare beating the shit out of a 68 yo woman so badly that you end up in jail to cheating? That is beyond repulsive. And don't try to sugar coat this. I lived in Dallas. I was part if that tri community and I know exactly what happened.

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This isn't rumored infidelity. This is a crime that went to court and pled out.

I can understand your motivation to defend a friend but I don't understand why you'd defend him staying on the board. I don't think a sport that prides itself on a long history of inclusion of women should be OK with him being a representative.

Good for him for getting help and following through with the court orders. He should resign from the board.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please, spare us the righteous indignation.

No one is saying the act wasn't horrible. The argument is if we should allow a person to make up for their failings if thye appear genuinely remorseful.

With your distorted perspective we should incarcerate those 8 year olds that get into a fight on the playground.
Last edited by: HomerJSimpson: Oct 14, 14 18:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you believe you're being a voice of reason here, but you're being the voice that's defending domestic abuse. That's the issue and you're taking the opposite stance. You have the choice to be his friend and support him personally. Good for you for taking that approach. On the other hand, he represents all USAT members. I imagine most of the membership does not want to be represented by a monster.

For some reason triathletes seem to take a strong stance against alleged dopers but defend gender inequality, races in countries with oppressive regimes, sexual predator coaches, and now spousal abuser board members. Rather convenient and self-serving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know you, but I support people who stand up to mob justice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think you might have stepped way out of bounds comparing beating your wife so bad "according to the affidavit for the warrant. Officers noted in the affidavit that she had extensive bruising and swelling around the eye, jaw and cheek." to cheating on a spouse.

This after the whole "Did I offend American Indians with posting the cupcakes with Callium with the head dress on?"

No excuses guy beat his wife, he shouldn't be involved in a organization that promotes health and well being.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [Run For Money] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are the supposed leaders of our sport. A man who will repeatedly punch a woman in the face and another who tries to trivialize those actions by saying there are just short of par with infidelity. I'll admit to having been somewhat disinterested in my USAT representation. That will definitely change.

Twitter
Instagram
Last edited by: travis_lt: Oct 14, 14 18:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are saying that a spouse who uses violence as a means to humiliate and intimidate is the equivalent to a spouse who uses infidelity to the same ends then I agree. The moral turpitude is, in fact, exactly the same.

I too believe in finding a way back. To that end, I find it irrelevant that Weiss is incredibly sorry that he hit his wife. Of course he is sorry for that, he was humiliated and (presumably) jailed for the act. What really matters: is Weiss sorry that he has (appearantly) a long history of humiliating others and it is in fact that which lead him to strike his wife.

The allure of humiliiating others is a tough road to come back from. And I am quite certain that stubbornly refusing to step down from a (sort of public) board is not a pit stop on the road back. So I too wish Mr. Weiss would step away from his roll with USAT. Not because of righteous indignation but because it is what is right for him.

My XXXXX was raped by an adult as a child. XXX has made a lifetime of bad decisions because of it. Sometimes i wonder: does the road back only start when the damage to the other ends?
Quote Reply

Prev Next