Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bicycle helmets do almost nothing to prevent concussions [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello nightfend and All,

While you are correct that is not a good example of what could be done.

Actually the neck being smaller than the head is an area that could benefit (aerowise) from some smoothing creating a nice line from the top of the head to the shoulders ..... and of course that 'neck brace' is what holds the helmet so you could cycle bare headed.

There were some homemade tests back a few years where the experimenter determined that a bare head (shaven) was as good aerowise as the best aero helmets at the time. I suppose that if you had big ears you would have to tape them down...... and of course that was without a pony tail.

Wiki:

In 1989, Fignon overtook Sean Kelly as leader of the UCI Road World Rankings. That season included a win at Milan – San Remo and the Giro d'Italia.[14] In the 1989 Tour de France, 1988 winner Pedro Delgado was the big favourite, with Fignon, Stephen Roche, and Erik Breukink listed together as top contenders.[24] After Delgado inexplicably was nearly three minutes late for the start of the prologue time trial, the race was open to all contenders, and ended up a battle between Greg LeMond and Fignon. LeMond won a minute in the time trial in stage five, using aerobars which enabled a new and more aerodynamic riding position (also known as tri-bars as they had previously only been used in triathlons), a new type of teardrop-shaped aerodynamic helmet in the time trials and a rear disc wheel, Fignon used normal road handlebars and a bicycle with both front and rear disc wheels, which left him more affected by cross winds.[25] LeMond led the general classification after that stage by 5 seconds. In the tenth stage, Fignon beat LeMond by 12 seconds, and became the new leader, 7 seconds ahead of LeMond. In the time trial of stage 15, LeMond again won time on Fignon, and took back the leading position. Fignon came back by dropping LeMond on Alpe d'Huez, taking back the lead, and after he won alone at Villard-de-Lans the next day, the margin was 50 seconds. Before the final stage, a short time trial of 24.5 km, the time difference between LeMond and Fignon was 50 seconds, a seemingly insurmountable amount. To win, LeMond would have to take two seconds a kilometer on one of the fastest time trialists in the Tour. French newspapers prepared special editions, with Fignon's picture on the front page, in preparation for his victory.[16] Although it was considered unlikely that LeMond would be able to win back 50 seconds on the 24.5 km, LeMond gave his best, and rode the fastest time trial to date. Fignon had developed saddle sores in stage 19, which gave him pain and made it impossible to sleep in the night before the time trial. Fignon, who rode after LeMond, lost 58 seconds during the stage. Fignon rode a very fast time trial, and came in third for the stage, but still ended up losing the overall lead to LeMond.[26] It was suggested afterwards that if Fignon had cut off his ponytail, the reduction in drag might have been sufficient for him to have won the Tour.[27] [emphasis added]

Cheers,

Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle helmets do almost nothing to prevent concussions [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think in the summer, having something heavy wrapped around your neck would be terribly hot.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle helmets do almost nothing to prevent concussions [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello nightfend and All,

True what you say, (could be hot and sweaty) ............. however the weight would be easier to carry there than on your head and HTFU ..... do we not endure hands that go numb, necks that burn from holding up the helmet in the aero position (when not using View-Speed Cyclops Glasses), backaches, butt aches, and all manner of discomfort for just 'one mile per hour faster'?

Cheers,

Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle helmets do almost nothing to prevent concussions [KevP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KevP wrote:
One of the technologies they are using to adress this is MIPS, currently only beginning to enter the bike helmet market. I think POC is leading the way with one MIPS version of their top end road and MTB helmets.

They are very expensive though.

What does MIPS stand for? And what does it do?
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle helmets do almost nothing to prevent concussions [anitan1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the details go back to the first post and read the article.

Essentially it is a helmet design that has two design speeds instead of one.
The traditional helmet is designed for high speed impacts. This requires the foam to absorb a lot of energy, but as a result doesn't start to work on impacts below a certain level.

MIPS basically adds a second lower design speed, allowing absorption to occur at the lower level.

This should increase the range of incidents on which protection is afforded. It will likely still have a low end cut off, just lower than current helmets.

It is important to note that this increases the chance you will need to replace the helmet if you drop it or have some other non crash impact.

I hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle helmets do almost nothing to prevent concussions [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My helmet.. A Giro Air Attack saved my life in my crash.
I came off my bike, smacked into a large boulder. My helmet saved my head from getting smashed. No head, neck or spine injury.
My body wasn't so lucky.
Quote Reply

Prev Next