Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trainerroad iOS with 920 XT?
Quote | Reply
Nate, if I pick up the new 920 XT, will I be able to connect to the iOS version of TR?

I'm assuming that TR on the iPad will take the data from the watch via Bluetooth rather than from my Ant+ accessories.
Last edited by: rlanger: Oct 1, 14 11:09
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS with 920 XT? [rlanger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TR and the watch are completely unrelated.. TR grabs the data directly from your ANT+ or Bluetooth Speed/Cadence Sensors or Powermeter.
Last edited by: tovi: Oct 1, 14 10:45
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS with 920 XT? [tovi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's why I ask.

An iPad will not be able to see data from an Ant+ accessory unless there is something like a Wahoo dongle on the iPad. However, the watch will see that data, and since it has Bluetooth, it will be able to communicate with the iPad.
Last edited by: rlanger: Oct 1, 14 11:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see what you're getting at. The watch connects to the phone via Bluetooth and retransmits the data, which is then read by TR. I guess it could work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably not out of the box but with ConnectIQ it is definitely possible.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rlanger wrote:
Nate, if I pick up the new 920 XT, will I be able to connect to the iOS version of TR?

I'm assuming that TR on the iPad will take the data from the watch via Bluetooth rather than from my Ant+ accessories.

What you're asking for is for the 920 XT to act like a bridge. That means taking in ANT+ data and rebroadcasting it as BT. The 4iiii heart rate strap does this.

Based on Ray's article, it looks like the 920 XT has a bluetooth smart chip in it, but they don't allow incoming BT device connections (just phone support). Even if they did enable that, I doubt they would then allow ANT data to be rebroadcast as BT.

But, if we had access to the firmware, it would technically be possible :).

It might be cheaper to just buy a wahoo ANT dongle and 30 pin adapter :).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS with 920 XT? [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Nate. I was hoping to avoid having to purchase the 920 as well as the dongle and adapter!
Last edited by: rlanger: Oct 1, 14 18:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is the iOS app out?

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS with 920 XT? [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're beta testing it right now. We've got a few features to finish up and then we'll send it to the app store. :)

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
We're beta testing it right now. We've got a few features to finish up and then we'll send it to the app store. :)

I assume that this late you have plenty of beta testers already? can't wait for this to be out! (and glad it will be compatible with older ipads with the wahoo dongle)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CANNOT WAIT!
LOVE TRAINER ROAD!

website/blog | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
rlanger wrote:

What you're asking for is for the 920 XT to act like a bridge. That means taking in ANT+ data and rebroadcasting it as BT. The 4iiii heart rate strap does this.

Based on Ray's article, it looks like the 920 XT has a bluetooth smart chip in it, but they don't allow incoming BT device connections (just phone support). Even if they did enable that, I doubt they would then allow ANT data to be rebroadcast as BT.

Could this be possible through the development of a Connect IQ app?
Last edited by: rlanger: Mar 5, 15 17:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rlanger wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:
rlanger wrote:

Could this be possible through the development of a Connect IQ app?

Maybe. I haven't looked at what we actually have access to in Connect IQ.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply