Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cheap 11spd, disc brake, 135mm wheel
Quote | Reply
So, there is a new bike in our stable. 11 speed cross bike with disc brakes. I want to find a cheap rear wheel to use on the indoor trainer for pre-race warm ups and likely winter training.

I have not been able to find much in the inexpensive range, espcially considering 11spd mtb wheels are all XX1 fancy hubs.

Buy a cheap 10spd disc wheel and file down the free hub body for 11spd? Direct drive indoor trainer?

Looking for any advice. Thanks!

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap 11spd, disc brake, 135mm wheel [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe try and find a used Mavic crossmax 29er rear wheel. Mavic hubs support 11-speed, you just remove the extra spacer.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap 11spd, disc brake, 135mm wheel [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mavic mountain bike wheels don't come with a spacer on the freehub body. They are made for cassettes with 9 or 10 cogs.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap 11spd, disc brake, 135mm wheel [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huh, didn't realize that. Glad I didn't buy a set. So the market for 11-speed disk wheels really is pretty sparse at the moment unless you custom build a set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try one of your 11 speed road wheels and tighten up the skewer. It's only 5 mm difference. I converted a GT Zasker mt bike frame to 700c road wheels and the spacing was no problem at all.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velocity A23, Bontrager Affinity
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
So, there is a new bike in our stable. 11 speed cross bike with disc brakes. I want to find a cheap rear wheel to use on the indoor trainer for pre-race warm ups and likely winter training.

I have not been able to find much in the inexpensive range, espcially considering 11spd mtb wheels are all XX1 fancy hubs.

Buy a cheap 10spd disc wheel and file down the free hub body for 11spd? Direct drive indoor trainer?

Looking for any advice. Thanks!

I like the suggestion of just adding a 5mm spacer to the non-drive side and usign a standard road wheel.
You don't really need a rear brake so just skip the rotors.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply