Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin 500 Rattles in its Mount [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vjohn wrote:
Now that I made a snide remark about their support, they've actually offered to comp me the $89 to replace the unit with the broken flanges. Note that mine is nearly 4 years old, so that's pretty good. They still take 3-4 days to respond to support emails, but when I called the tech support number the guy handled my request competently and politely.

Really? How were you fortunate enough to get that offer? When I called they offered $89 for a refurbished unit.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 Rattles in its Mount [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A week ago I tried the epoxy fix, and so far so good. I used fine grit sandpaper to clean and rough up the area followed by an alcohol rinse. Then I used a plastic epoxy and let it dry for about 36 hours. I then used a Dremel and carefully recreated the lip; it took a good 1/2 hour or more of filing down the epoxy and testing it in both of my mounts (road and tt bikes). I've been using gaffer's tape to hold the Garmin 500 to the mount in case the lip breaks, but I think I'll now discontinue using the security tape. I'm shocked the epoxy fix actually worked!

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 Rattles in its Mount [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wacomme wrote:
vjohn wrote:
Now that I made a snide remark about their support, they've actually offered to comp me the $89 to replace the unit with the broken flanges. Note that mine is nearly 4 years old, so that's pretty good. They still take 3-4 days to respond to support emails, but when I called the tech support number the guy handled my request competently and politely.

Really? How were you fortunate enough to get that offer? When I called they offered $89 for a refurbished unit.

I could not tell you, I didn't even ask for it, they offered.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 Rattles in its Mount [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vjohn wrote:
wacomme wrote:
vjohn wrote:

I could not tell you, I didn't even ask for it, they offered.

Perhaps they've changed corporate policy this past week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent 30 seconds washing the mount, then applied a liberal dose of superglue. Total time invested...maybe 2 mins. The mount and the Garmin are joined at the hip like Siamese twins.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 Rattles in its Mount [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I spent 30 seconds washing the mount, then applied a liberal dose of superglue. Total time invested...maybe 2 mins. The mount and the Garmin are joined at the hip like Siamese twins.

Very nice. However, I need to switch the bike computer between two different bikes, and two different mounts - road and tt. Thus, I need a functioning attachment tab.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm switching between 3 bikes ... 2 TT and 1 road bike using the same mount that came with the 500. Goes around the round base of a standard road bike handlebar and around a typical TT after market mount that I have drilled out and zip tied between the front end of my aero bars on both bikes. I've been thinking of upgrading but the thing is practically bomb proof. I almost was excited when I ejected it but stopped to look only because I needed it to finish collecting the data on my ride! I can't fault it any way.
Quote Reply

Prev Next