Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cutting the steering tube on a Shiv question
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to lower the bars on my Shiv by removing one(maybe both) of the 25 mm spacers above the stem. I've taken the cap off, and removed one of the plastic spacers but now the steering tube is sticking out and the control tower plastic needs to be cut down or replaced with a shorter one. How and where do I cut the steering tube since there appears to be a bolt in the middle of the steering tube and it doesnt look like this should be cut obviously. Any tips? thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the steering tube on a Shiv question [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is removing something ABOVE the stem going to lower your bars?

Abell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine was cut down.

I currently have 1 spacer above and once I know for sure that I am comfortable in the lowest position, I will be removing the spacer and cutting it down again.

There is no turning back once you cut it all the way down...
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the steering tube on a Shiv question [abell103] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry the spacers are below the stem. remove the spacer(s) the stem drops.
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the steering tube on a Shiv question [BocaIvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok thanks--so do I have to something with the bolt that runs through the center of the steering tub? I cant just cut the 1" or so off the top of the steering tube since this bolt runs down the middle of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah. I don't know why it would be so high up the steerer tube that you can't cut it down. I've got a low rise dust cap under the stem and a 2.5mm spacer on top and it fits just fine - if you don't know how to get it slammed just put the spacers on top and take it to a shop to have them cut it. Ride with the spacers on top of the stem until you have time to drop it off for the night, or call ahead and show up with a six pack to see if they'll just do it on the spot.

Abell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "bolt" you see is the expander plug. It serves a couple purposes, one being a place to fasten the top cap providing preload for the headset and two, reinforcing the steerer in the location where the stem clamps to it. You remove it from the steerer before cutting it down. I'm hesitant to say more since I get the impression you should let your mechanic do this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why wouldn't you just move the spacers to above the stem until you're sure you're done moving it down? You may find you want to move it down further or you've gone too far. Sure, it looks a little better if there is no stem sticking up, but it doesn't make any practical difference, esp. if you have a bottle up front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I was told, the spacer is used for "compression purposes" until you cut it which is why it is on top and not below.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take it to the LBS. It will cost you about $10-$15 and they will do it right.
The bolt thingy is the expander plug. They should loosen it and push it down then cut the steerer.

1xatbandcamp wrote:
I'm trying to lower the bars on my Shiv by removing one(maybe both) of the 25 mm spacers above the stem. I've taken the cap off, and removed one of the plastic spacers but now the steering tube is sticking out and the control tower plastic needs to be cut down or replaced with a shorter one. How and where do I cut the steering tube since there appears to be a bolt in the middle of the steering tube and it doesnt look like this should be cut obviously. Any tips? thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the steering tube on a Shiv question [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. i'll probably just leave it alone for awhile and adjust to the fit. Agree--no practical reason the steering tube can't stick out a bit. Complete newbie here working on bikes so have to ask dumb questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized specifically say not to ride with spacers above the stem. If you don't cut the tube you end up with your stem clamping around a hollow carbon tube - this is not recommended as it can result in damage to the tube. This may be based upon an abundance of caution but do you want to take the chance. Try the stem in the lowest position on a trainer with the stem lightly clamped on the steerer tube, this should avoid damage to the tube and is safe for you. A few sessions should give you an idea if the lower position is comfortable/sustainable for your race distance. Then have the stem cut by your LBS - cutting carbon can easily go awry and cut too much you're looking at a new fork. Although once you've cut you can't go back you do have alternatives to raise your position, using a flipped stem, adding risers under your armpads etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the steering tube on a Shiv question [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
Take it to the LBS. It will cost you about $10-$15 and they will do it right.

Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the steering tube on a Shiv question [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do people take things like this into the LBS and assume they know what they are doing? I have seen countless incidents where a LBS screws up cutting down the tubes. Do your research, get the right tools, and if in doubt make the cut with a few mm of extra room and make a secondary cut if necessary. I i would personally cut the tube and have one spacer on top, that way if you move to a new stem that is unusual in stack you are not screwed because your tube is cut too low.
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the steering tube on a Shiv question [-Mike-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-Mike- wrote:
Why do people take things like this into the LBS and assume they know what they are doing?

This is a trivial task for many people. There are countless resources available that can provide instruction & the tools are fairly easy to acquire. Based on the OP, I'd hazard a guess that having a LBS perform the work is probably the safest bet until he/she becomes more mechanically proficient.

-Mike- wrote:
I have seen countless incidents where a LBS screws up cutting down the tubes.

I've seen countless incidents where a LBS gets it right. Where does that leave us?

-Mike- wrote:
I would personally cut the tube and have one spacer on top, that way if you move to a new stem that is unusual in stack you are not screwed because your tube is cut too low.

True. But it depends on the type of stem (Pro Missile, Sigma, etc). In any case, there are a few options to drop your front end - removing Aerobar Spacers, removing Steerer Spacers, using a low-stack Dust Cap, using a negative rise Stem, or all of the above. Lot's of stems are in the 40mm range for stack height. Also, cutting the Steerer down too much can affect resale if nothing else.

Last edited by: Jamaican: Sep 30, 14 18:01
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the steering tube on a Shiv question [-Mike-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LBS screws it up, they are liable. You screw it up, the only thing you can do is fire your mechanic.

And any decent LBS that sells even a modicum of higher-end stuff can handle this.

It is clear the OP doesn't have experience in this, and while it is a fairly simple task, I would hesitate to encourage him to experiment the first time on his Shiv.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the steering tube on a Shiv question [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I would definitely take it to a LBS they will take care of it without any issues

http://www.jarredscycling.com
Quote Reply