Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How come IM Chattanooga sold out in 65 seconds in 2014 but is an easy entry in 2015? [Happy Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As you recall, they sold out in about 1 minute last year but only had 2,000 total available slots. They opened up another 400-500 slots after the initial registration fiasco. Then, after IMLT this year, another 50 slots happens to be available. Is the reason that it's taking more than 1 day because of all the reasons mentioned so far? Or, is it because there are now 3,000 slots for next year?

Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:
godaddygo wrote:
Loiusville in Oct and Maryland in September happened. I suspect a lot of these folks that did CHOO this year will do Louisville next year.

^^^ this. Plus you now have Muskoka as well. Less of a direct impact, but still the same time of year. IMMT, IMWI, IMLP still all sold out...slower than before but still within 1 month.... and will continue because they ultimately are still some of the best venues on the whole IM circuit.
Quote:

I believe IMMT is still open.

Oops, I stand corrected. It is.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: How come IM Chattanooga sold out in 65 seconds in 2014 but is an easy entry in 2015? [Happy Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tough mudders are the new IM.
Quote Reply
Re: How come IM Chattanooga sold out in 65 seconds in 2014 but is an easy entry in 2015? [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Fleck wrote:

The WTC options keep expanding. But I am not so sure that options for non-WTC events are increasing. Rev 3 did not collapse because the market was expanding. And even Toughman seems to be adding existing races to grow. There do not seem to be many genuinely new races being added. It seems like it has been a long time since WTC created a brand new race at the 70.3 distance in North America. I am not taking a position as to whether this is good or bad or that the market is up or down. Just saying that the market is not on the moon shot trajectory it was 5-10 years ago. But I cannot imagine that anyone disagrees it is better that races no longer fill in a day. It would be even better if it took 4-6 months to fill every race.

Raleigh 70.3 (inaugural race in 2013) was brand new.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: How come IM Chattanooga sold out in 65 seconds in 2014 but is an easy entry in 2015? [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arby wrote:
Tough mudders are the new IM.

I just did a Ragnar. I actually think that is the new IM.
Quote Reply
Re: How come IM Chattanooga sold out in 65 seconds in 2014 but is an easy entry in 2015? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct sir. And on reflection, more recently Princeton was probably a completely new race. That makes two. I think they folded more than that in those same two years (Providence, Pocono, Branford, Mooseman?), but your point is still valid.

japarker24 wrote:
sinkinswimmer wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Fleck wrote:

The WTC options keep expanding. But I am not so sure that options for non-WTC events are increasing. Rev 3 did not collapse because the market was expanding. And even Toughman seems to be adding existing races to grow. There do not seem to be many genuinely new races being added. It seems like it has been a long time since WTC created a brand new race at the 70.3 distance in North America. I am not taking a position as to whether this is good or bad or that the market is up or down. Just saying that the market is not on the moon shot trajectory it was 5-10 years ago. But I cannot imagine that anyone disagrees it is better that races no longer fill in a day. It would be even better if it took 4-6 months to fill every race.

Raleigh 70.3 (inaugural race in 2013) was brand new.
Quote Reply
Re: How come IM Chattanooga sold out in 65 seconds in 2014 but is an easy entry in 2015? [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monterrey and Lake Tahoe are newly created 70.3 races as well.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: How come IM Chattanooga sold out in 65 seconds in 2014 but is an easy entry in 2015? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also keep in mind that before it tickets went on sale (and sold out) the bike course was advertised at 2100'. Shortly after it sold out it was increased to 3400', which is still a low estimate. Most data that I've seen indicates >4000'.

Not sure if this has an effect on the willingness for people to sign up.
Quote Reply
Re: How come IM Chattanooga sold out in 65 seconds in 2014 but is an easy entry in 2015? [Floyd923] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Floyd923 wrote:
Also keep in mind that before it tickets went on sale (and sold out) the bike course was advertised at 2100'. Shortly after it sold out it was increased to 3400', which is still a low estimate. Most data that I've seen indicates >4000'.

Not sure if this has an effect on the willingness for people to sign up.

Not that they can do "much" about the elevation profile but I'm assuming they'll fix the 116 mile thing.

Quote Reply
Re: How come IM Chattanooga sold out in 65 seconds in 2014 but is an easy entry in 2015? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was one of the people who had their early room reservation at the Sheraton Read House pulled out from under them. Would you believe that the Sheraton Read House Hotel went so far as to send me a registered letter informing me that," Unfortunately, the group block that was committed to a large city-wide group was erroneously booked by individual guests that called our Central Reservations Department." They moved my reservation to the Best Western Plus across town. Later, the instant online registration debacle with a few thousand other folks made my early hotel registration a moot point anyway. This doesn't exactly make me want to go to Chattanooga when IMLOU & IMFL have an equal or better venue without the hotel room monopoly, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
Not that they can do "much" about the elevation profile but I'm assuming they'll fix the 116 mile thing.

Or change the bike course completely.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How come IM Chattanooga sold out in 65 seconds in 2014 but is an easy entry in 2015? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:

Cathy, wasn't the reason for this bike course to avoid it being a really hilly course?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the official reason was that their permit was revoked and they tried to play nice by modifying the course instead of taking the hard stance of "I'll see you in court!" The rumor that I heard was that it was altered because the race was on Sunday and it blocked roads to a lot of churches.

GMAN19030 wrote:
ironclm wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:

Cathy, wasn't the reason for this bike course to avoid it being a really hilly course?

Last edited by: zoom: Sep 30, 14 16:02
Quote Reply
Re: How come IM Chattanooga sold out in 65 seconds in 2014 but is an easy entry in 2015? [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:
I think the official reason was that their permit was revoked and they tried to play nice by modifying the course instead of taking the hard stance of "I'll see you in court!" The rumor that I heard was that it was altered because the race was on Sunday and it blocked roads to a lot of churches.

GMAN19030 wrote:
ironclm wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:

Are you talking about the extra mileage or the whole course in general. Wasn't the reason (speculation) for most of the course being in Georgia was in order to keep it "easier."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was referring to the extra miles. The bike course was always going through GA.

They also reworked the run course from dead flat downtown to add the tougher hills that you've read about. The reason for that was supposedly the old course blocked a few access roads to hospitals.

Quote | Reply
Yes. Mexico is in North America. I should have been more specific an said US. Tahoe hardly counts. It was a bolt on and it may never happen.
Quote Reply

Prev Next