Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM CDA bike course: new vs. old?
Quote | Reply
How does the post 2011 bike course compare? I'm assuming the run course is the same.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA bike course: new vs. old? [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never did the old course, but I've trained on the new one. Not sure what exactly you're looking for. It's kinda hilly. With ups and downs. Can be windy. Or not. Roads aren't beautiful, road surfaces that is, the scenery is pretty dang good. Takes you right through downtown 4 times.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA bike course: new vs. old? [TriathlonKid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced in 2011, just looking for a little side by side comparison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh. Well you should sign up ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done both courses. Raced this 3x actually, 2 on the old course & 1 on the new. I am indifferent to each for the most part. I like the twisty sharp curves & short corners on the old course with short rolling hills, but enjoyed the longer climbs of the course. There is a "no pass zone" before getting back to transition to start lap # 2 that I don't care for. Got stuck behind a lady riding 15 mph & had people catching up to us do to the no pass area (lost any advantage I worked for there).

On the run, pretty much the same except the start doesn't go along the shaded out & back (which I really liked to get a view of where/how far up the competition was). Although, race day, you should just be focused on what you can do & not the competition. But it is nice to get that early view of how tired everyone looks--because then it only makes you feel less tired...then again, good thing I never had a mirror to see how tired I looked!

Good luck there if you race it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done IMCDA 3X. Twice on the old course and once on the new. I liked the variety of the old course much better, I just liked the various hills, flat sections, twists in the road, etc... Did the new course in 2013 and found it to be a bit boring.

The old run course, I also liked the first year I did it the best (2010) as it inclueded the short out and back along the lake on nice tree lined streets before you headed out to the long stretch after the downtown area. Now, they omitted the short out and back section and it is really just a long out and back which means you climb up the last hill and partly down the other side before turning around.

I love the race regardless but liked the course in 2010 the best.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA bike course: new vs. old? [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reads almost like my post 6 min. earlier. Did you read mine & just re-write it?
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA bike course: new vs. old? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't even see your post.....guess I should have scrolled down more.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA bike course: new vs. old? [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We'll just call it "consistency" in review/feedback for those who raced both courses 3x. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd agree with the other posters- they made the bike course less technical- there really aren't many turns now I think the bike course is got some climbing but it's kind of boring now, the run course is different- I liked that short out and back section but I think it really congested that pathway along the lake
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA bike course: new vs. old? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roughly how long (distance) is that no-pass zone? Only need to go through it once between 1st & 2nd loop?

Thanks,
Kris
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA bike course: new vs. old? [ktyson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You really do just about everything twice, so the no pass zone is hit again too.

Someone can correct me, but I feel like it was somewhat short, maybe 0.25 mile? Perhaps my memory is failing, it's been over a year :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BRING BACK THE DOG TRACK!

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA bike course: new vs. old? [karma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The dog track was my favourite part of the course- I did like the original bike course best
Quote Reply