Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Chattanooga race report - KQ
Quote | Reply
SHORT VERSION
Current assisted swim, decent bike and solid run. Finished 5th. KQ after a year of ups and downs. Feels great

LONG VERSION:

How it all started:

January 2011 I had been pretty much physically inactive for about 7 years and was starting to turn into a couch potato. I went for a 10 km run with a friend. Ran 10 min/mile and almost collapsed. That was a wake up call so I started running with some decent frequency. I quickly fell in love with running and signed up fora half marathon. Got through it in pain but I enjoyed it. Same thing happened with the sprint triathlon I did in April 2011. Barely got thorough the swim, and the 20k bike I did on my mountain bike. But I loved it

2012:
Half iron in January 5:11 and had a lot of fun. May 2012 ironman texas who my now good friend and coach convinced me to sign up for mid 2011. I had the time of my life. Finished just above 11 hrs and wanted more so signed up for brazil and Cabos for 2013. It was probably around that time I watched some youtube videos from kona and thought: "that's my dream and I'm going to pursue it"

2013:
Had a decent race in Cabos and went 9:45 in brazil in may but it was an easy course but my run in both races had been strong around 3:25. Ran an open marathon in October in 2:59 and thought my run was now KQ level but had to up my swim and bike. Started working with a swim coach remotely end of 2013 and started to spend more time on the bike.

This was were I did a big mistake: I didn't listen to my general program coach and took probably only 5 days off after the marathon and went directly into upped swim volume and intensity, as well as more time on the bike and with decent run load. At the same time I travelled a lot with work. Dangerous cocktail but I'm the one who mixed it. Resulted in bad mental and physical state around Xmas and a grade 2 strain of a calf muscle. So while 2013 saw some great results the year ended badly

2014 - ironman texas training and racing:
Around February I was pretty recovered (I think...) and started to train for Imtx. Training went okay without being great but went into Texas with hopes for a top 15 and 10 on a good day. Either I wasn't recovered or I made mistakes in race week and on race day. Probably a mix. Ended in 19th place 10:02 after having severe stomach cramps most of the run. Ran a 3:38 marathon. I ate and drank too much during race week and also during the race. Probably also went a bit too hard on the swim.

2014 - ironman Chattanooga training and racing:
Took a few easy weeks after Texas but not enough recovery. Started training too much too soon and by early and mid July I was in another state of being close to overtraining. Some personal distraction didn't help me either. Luckily I got some tendonitis so had to take 3 weeks relatively easy. Coach and I restructured the training program and I started listening. From mid August to mid September training was very good and I felt strong on all dimensions. By mid September I had trained about 650 hours in 2014 and 3 years of pretty consistent 2 sessions per day. Despite the setback around Xmas 2013 and a few weeks in July I felt really great and hopeful about Chattanooga.

IMCHOO race week
What an awful week. Usually I don't like taper but its not bad. This week was a disaster, or at least it felt that way. Left home Tuesday eod and started feeling weird. Arrived I'm Chattanooga Wednesday and from then until Saturday it went from bad to worse. Nausea, feeling depressed, headache, insomnia. By Thursday evening I wasn't sure I would make it through the swim. This race was supposed to be my a race for 2014, i felt good about the last block of training, and had hopes for top 10 but was very far from ready to even toe the line. Worst of all: i didnt really care. Saturday am I forced myself to start my pre race day training but 40-50 min into it, magic happened. Everything felt good, the dark turned to light and rest of the day I was feeling amazing and ready to race. I think I had some endorphin withdrawal symptoms during taper and the Saturday training brought me back on the drugs :-)

Race morning:
Felt great. Went through pre race routine feeling great and started to believe that this could be a great day. Just realized I used the word great 3 times but that pretty much illustrates how I felt. GREAT!

Swim 51 min and 40th in my ag:
Started in the middle of the line approximately and decided to take the swim easy. Decided it would be my warm up. With the current assisting it wasn't too difficult taking it easy and finished swim in 51 min feeling fresh. My race was off to a good start.

Bike 5:20 approx, coming off the bike as 20th in my ag:
I felt confident based on my training but my coach always says that the bike starts at mile 80 so decided to split the bike in 3 and start a bit easy and go slightly harder each segment without ever going hard. Also focused on sticking to my nutrition plan which involved about 30-40 pct less calories than texas. After 60 km I felt good but that I had worked a bit too hard so decided to dial it back a notch to set me up for a strong run. i knew that if i could run my usual 3:25 marathon i would be close to top 10.

All was going well until km 110 when the black top came off a perform bottle. I had perform pouring all over so emptied the bottle. Don't know why I didn't just put it back in the cage but just when I had emptied it, I passed a media van that was parked. Asked the guy if he could throw the bottle away for me and I'm pretty sure he said yes so I threw the bottle next to the car. A motor bike with an official was right behind me and I got a red card for littering and an upcoming 4 min appointment in the next penalty tent. Kinda sucked but rules are rules and are there to prevent littering so after chewing on it for 30 secs I thought "that is not going to end this great day, I just need to react". I decided to push the pace harder to make up for the 4 mins hoping that I could rest a bit in the box. I knew i was playing with fire as I would come off the bike with a 2-3 min net loss but more tired legs. However, I decided to run the risk knowing that the first 110 km I had put some savings in the bank and I would now spend the saving although I would have preferred to cash in on the run. Rode the last 77 km pretty hard and took my 4 mins in the box somewhere around km 150 I guess. I felt pretty good last 10-15 km of the bike despite the solid work.

Run 3:20 5th after the run:
Now my race was about to start. Felt awesome first miles but had to keep myself back from going too hard. Wanted to run 3:25 pace for first 1/3. I think my pace was around 7:20 miles for the first 30 km. I just enjoyed running, staying relaxed and absorbing the good atmosphere. Decided to stick to an occasional gel, Gatorade and water for the first 20 miles then switch to coke when it started to get tough. Felt pretty good until mile 21 when the joy started to be replaced by pain. Figured I had about 40 mins running left and started to focus on just keeping going and slowing down as little as possible, after all 40 mins is nothing. Don't remember a lot from the last miles apart from that it was pretty hilly. Last 1 km I gave it all I had and finished in 9:37 and 5th. I was stoked.

Post race thoughts:
Yesterday it all came together
-- the course suited me perfectly. Swimming is my relative weakness while running is my relative strength. I'm an okay biker but the rolling hills played to my favor as I'm fairly light vs a flat course
-- my nutrition was spot on (breakfast an egg, one serving oats, a rice cake w a bit of almond butter and a banana, bike 2 power bars, 4 bottles of perform and 7 gels, run 6 gels and drinking water and Gatorade when thirsty plus coke last miles)
-- execution was perfect. Pushed it too the limit but never over it
-- mentally I felt really good. Only dark moment was just when I got the red card and for 15 secs last miles of the run
-- I had some luck with not hitting any of the tags or oil

I have read some comments about the race being too easy because of the fast swim. My view is that the swim was a bit ridiculous but we all raced the same conditions, the bike was 4 miles longer than usual, the run was hilly and in the end of the day all courses are different. If you want a good race, find one that suits you. IMChoo suited me perfectly

I'm absolutely thrilled about my Kona qualification. Apart from becoming fit and enjoying the training, it has been a key motivation last 2 years. I had actually thought it would take another 1-2 years before it all came together, especially with the 2 dark periods I had over the last 2 years.

What is next?
I want to spend 6-8 weeks without any structured training but stay active. I'm racing texas in may and will decide over the next months how to approach it. Then it's kona in October 2015. Cannot wait. That said, key focus next 12 months is to train smart and stay healthy.

But most important, I love this sport. There are rough patches along the way but its part of it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga race report - KQ [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice work sir, interesting history too from couch to kona
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga race report - KQ [goregrind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations…..those hills on the north shore kicked my butt, and I finished almost 2 hours after you. Way to get it done!! What I found interesting is you are 11+ in your first IM and then a year later go Sub 10. How the heck did you do that?? That is awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andreasjs wrote:
I'm absolutely thrilled about my Kona qualification. Apart from becoming fit and enjoying the training, it has been a key motivation last 2 years. I had actually thought it would take another 1-2 years before it all came together, especially with the 2 dark periods I had over the last 2 years.

I saw you accept your slot at roll down and it was obvious how excited you were. Congratulations on a great race.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga race report - KQ [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks but that might have been someone else. Didn't get a roll down

Would have happily accepted though and I was indeed excited
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andreasjs wrote:
Thanks but that might have been someone else. Didn't get a roll down

Would have happily accepted though and I was indeed excited
Rolldown ie slot allocation ceremony.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga race report - KQ [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:-) then it was probably me
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga race report - KQ [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks

I think I saw good improvement because
-- I ran a lot during training for a marathon between the 2 races and lucky that my body seems to cope well with run training
-- I was very consistent, I think I miss 1 of 50 training sessions for bike and run, swim maybe a bit more
-- progressive build of volume and intensity

Also, Texas was not easy and Brasil quite easy so the real difference is smaller
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Congrats. Quite the journey to get there.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Chattanooga race report - KQ [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations. Nice race report. I give Chattanooga thumbs up!

member CupCake Cartel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations. What an awesome day and amazing achievement.

I'm so glad to hear that in addition to training hard, you also are having fun (most of the time) and love what you are doing. I feel the same.

Good luck in HI.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! Glad Chattanooga treated you well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job! Nice run moving up 15 places.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job on Sunday! I ran with you for 1/2 mile (cowboy hat) and you were bookin' it! I couldn't hold the pace once we hit the hills, so I guess my kona slot will have to wait until another day/race. See you in TX '15!
Quote Reply