Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What to wear for Kona Swim?
Quote | Reply
Hi there!

Just curious what everyone is wearing for the swim? I'm interested in input from those who are choosing not to wear a speed suit or swim skin. I have a fast skin for pool swimming but will likely take too long to take off in transition. Thanks:)!

Sarah Munar
Quote Reply
Re: What to wear for Kona Swim? [sarahmunar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri shorts, Roka Swim skin, cap, goggles, and a big ass smile!

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sarahmunar wrote:
Hi there!

Just curious what everyone is wearing for the swim? I'm interested in input from those who are choosing not to wear a speed suit or swim skin. I have a fast skin for pool swimming but will likely take too long to take off in transition. Thanks:)!

hi sarahmunar
how long does it take to strip off a fastswim suit?

but the answers to your question is of interest to me as well.
at this time, I'm thinking just my 2 piece Sugio tri suit ( in Aussie colours ) and then throw on some Cool Wings for the bike, but another option is bare torso & tri shorts, then putting on a short sleeved jersey.
Coming straight from our winter, I'm fearing the sunburn more than the heat....
Quote Reply
Re: What to wear for Kona Swim? [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swimskins do really help--I've used the Tyr Torque, each of the two times I've raced Kona. I have my tri shorts on underneath.

In T1 I pull on my tri-top in chich I have pre-stuffed my nutrition and salt tabs. As i run out to the bike I put on my Desoto cool wings, which cover my arms, my shoulders and upper back--a big plus for Kona....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a normal swim skin takes about 5 seconds to remove. Just make sure it's approved (needs to be 100% textile, no neoprene etc.)

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure the legality on using Fina approved Fast Skin, but it shouldn't be a problem. It will take longer to take it off though in my experience, especially for a female. A speedsuit fits similarly in terms of how tight and compressive feel, but it has a zipper, that will make it easier to get out of.

If you have hesitation about using a speedsuit, come down to the pier between 6-9am Mon-Friday, we'll be demo'ing our Energize suits for free everyday. That includes all of our goggles and speedsuits. We'll also be selling our suits and goggles at the expo if you decide that's something you'd like to use on Saturday!

Unless you are planning on wearing a regular swimsuit, you will be sacrificing time in the swim with a tri kit. How much will vary, but it does cause drag. The speedsuit is a way to have your kit on and still not have a hydrodynamic penalty.

The speedsuit is a valuable tool over a full Ironman course.

Otherwise the event cap and your goggles is the most I'd recommend,

Jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skinny dip swim it.
Quote Reply
Re: What to wear for Kona Swim? [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakers wrote:
I'm not sure the legality on using Fina approved Fast Skin, but it shouldn't be a problem. It will take longer to take it off though in my experience, especially for a female. A speedsuit fits similarly in terms of how tight and compressive feel, but it has a zipper, that will make it easier to get out of.

If you have hesitation about using a speedsuit, come down to the pier between 6-9am Mon-Friday, we'll be demo'ing our Energize suits for free everyday. That includes all of our goggles and speedsuits. We'll also be selling our suits and goggles at the expo if you decide that's something you'd like to use on Saturday!

Unless you are planning on wearing a regular swimsuit, you will be sacrificing time in the swim with a tri kit. How much will vary, but it does cause drag. The speedsuit is a way to have your kit on and still not have a hydrodynamic penalty.

The speedsuit is a valuable tool over a full Ironman course.

Otherwise the event cap and your goggles is the most I'd recommend,

Jake

Thanks Jake,

I'll try to get to see you down at the pier. as I'm heading over tomorrow,are you there this week?
Also, I've tested the tri suit v bare torso in the pool whilst doing multiple x 100m repeats and there was no difference in time ( recorded by the coach as she was interested as well )

anyway, in Kona = shopping for toys
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you could always go with one of our Amphibian or Spider trisuits: super light and water repellent fabric + very snug/compressive fit will give you a fast swim. then you can keep it all thru the race or peel it off at t1.
don't hesitate to stop by our booth at Uncle Billy's Hotel Kona Expo; you can check all our gear. and mention ST to get a little giveaway :)

good luck,

Kiwami North America
http://www.kiwamitri.com
http://www.aquamantri.com
contact@kiwamitri.com
http://www.facebook/kiwamitriusa
Quote Reply
Re: What to wear for Kona Swim? [Andre Bennatan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is exactly what I'll be doing. Spider Long Course for the swim all the way through the race.
Quote Reply
Re: What to wear for Kona Swim? [Andre Bennatan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what I am doing - Kiwami Konami trisuit for swim bike and run. I have raced in it once so far and trained in it a few times: it really is an awesome suit.
Quote Reply
Re: What to wear for Kona Swim? [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be in town Friday, but won't be on the pier until Monday Morning.

Stop by and see us.

Jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply