Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bike Rack? [ironmanbythirty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Revitalizing this thread since I now actually need to buy the bike rack (race in June I'll need to travel to).

I ended up buying a BMW 328xi 4 door sedan. It has slots in the roof that support a roof rack if I go that route but I'm leaning toward the tow hitch install and rear mount option (like the 1upusa hitch or something equivalent) or the seasucker. Seesucker seems to easy.

I will usually be carrying only my bike, but on occasion, it will be mine and my wife's.

Anything new out there since I originally started this thread? Any new suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rack? [Mendeldave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just did a hitch install on a sub Impreza. I had a friend add a hitch to his BMX 3 series. not sure on the year though. My hitch was 210 installed by uhaul in 20 minutes.

His was added by the dealership for $600 plus labor (which i want to say was 90/hr).

Long story short, I would recommend looking at roof options. From what a lot of people I talk to, rood racks, when you spend the money on them, are usually safer (no chance of a pesky soccer mom on her cell phone rear ending you) for your bike, until you get home or go through a drive thru and forget your bike is up there. Had a local Dorba rider post about laughing at all the guys who pulled into their garages and crushed their bikes. then it happened to him.

As another had stated, inside the car is a lot safer. Can't remember if BMW allows for the rear seats to fold down, but you may want to try fitting it in the back - saves some coin.

Team Gingerfight
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rack? [EJ_S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No garage so that's not a concern.

Sadly no fold down back seat. But even if it did Id need somewhere for my passengers to sit and right now that's two rear facing car seats.

What do you attach to your hitch?

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Rack? [Mendeldave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Thule T2. I like it and it does not damage the frame. I like it more knowing it is made in the US. Yakima makes some great products as well, but most are made in China. Nothing wrong with that, but knowing I bought something that supports the local economy justifies some of the cost.

I had a Yakima top tube rack prior and when I moved to carbon frames, decided it was best to get a tray style rack. This one was on sale at REI, plus got the 10% member dividend at the end of year.

Team Gingerfight
Quote Reply

Prev Next