Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Computer does not see my Garmin 900xt, what gives?
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Computer does not see my Garmin 900xt, what gives? [raceboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably because the Garmin 900xt does not exist. If however you have a Garmin 910xt don't use Garmin Express use ANT agent and try reinstalling Garmin Training Center.

Elisha
"Triathlon doesn't build character. It reveals it."
Quote Reply
Re: Computer does not see my Garmin 900xt, what gives? [f_ahsile04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, meant 910, tried that and still does not see it, other farming have never been an issue with windows
Quote Reply
Re: Computer does not see my Garmin 900xt, what gives? [raceboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might be worth a visit to the Garmin forums. Garmin Express works fine with Windows but there appears to be some permission settings that need adjusting. I have it running fine on a Mac in W8.1 in a virtual machine so I do know that it works.

There's little point in working with software that Garmin is no longer supporting. Training Centre dropped of the list of supported programs by Garmin 2 or 3 years ago. ANT Agent and the Garmin Communicator plugin are on the way out and being replaced with Garmin Express and a direct feed to a new version of Garmin Connect on the Internet.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have you tried holding it up to the webcam?

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Re: Computer does not see my Garmin 900xt, what gives? [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are widely known problems with the 910xt and Garmin Express as you'll see in other Slowtwitch threads and on the Garmin forums and they (Garmin) recommends using ANT Agent vice Express for the 910xt.

Elisha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My experience has been that Windows 8/8.1 does not play well with Garmin Express and the 910XT. As others suggested, use the Garmin ANT Agent to download to the no longer supported Garmin Training Center or similar 3rd party app like Sports Tracks.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Computer does not see my Garmin 900xt, what gives? [f_ahsile04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
f_ahsile04 wrote:
There are widely known problems with the 910xt and Garmin Express as you'll see in other Slowtwitch threads and on the Garmin forums and they (Garmin) recommends using ANT Agent vice Express for the 910xt.

No Garmin doesn't. recommend ANT Agent and Garmin Express. ANT Agent and Garmin Express cannot co-exist. If you install Garmin Express it will (at least last time I installed it) remove ANT Agent. if it doesn't then you need to make sure it is fully un-installed otherwise the services will both fight for control of the USB stick. Read the posts on the Garmin forums.

You still need the USB stick for ANT+ communication form the device to your computer. That's the only common denominator.

If you have the 'old' Garmin Connect on the internet you need to have ANT Agent and Garmin Communicator plugin installed on your computer so that they can talk.

If you have the 'modern' Garmin Connect on the Internet you must have Garmin Express and Ant Agent uninstalled.

The 'modern' Garmin Connect will not send to Garmin Express, but Garmin Express will upload files to it.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Quote Reply
Re: Computer does not see my Garmin 900xt, what gives? [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suggest you re-read my post that you responded to as I never said to use both ANT Agent & Garmin Express together. Garmin Express is the replacement for ANT Agent, however there are multiple documented issues with pairing the 910xt with Garmin Express, as you'll see if you take a look at the forums: https://forums.garmin.com/...rking-with-my-910-XT.

Garmin did in fact tell 910xt users to go back to ANT Agent until they worked out the bugs: " If you are unable to send workouts, courses, settings (or any other data to your device) from Garmin Connect, uninstall Garmin Express and continue to use your ANT agent until the end of March."

Supposedly this was fixed (after the March timeframe), however when I uninstalled ANT Agent and reinstalled Garmin Express it still didn't work and I'm not the only one. So I went with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy and went back to using ANT Agent until they get it figured out. I haven't had any issues since.

If you are deadset on figuring out how to use Garmin Express then I'd scour the Garmin forums to see what tricks other users had to do to get it to work. Also as I think many people would agree "modern" Garmin Connect sucks and I'll be using classic until they force me to switch.

Here are directions/links on how to re-install ANT Agent if that's the route you want to go (works flawlessly for both me and my husband on three seperate computers):
http://support.garmin.com/...%20910XT&caseId={64a023c0-9495-11e1-5188-000000000000}&locale=en_US

Elisha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could you try posting that link to the garmin re-installation of the garmin software. If you still have it?

I’ve been having such issues with my 910xt and connecting it to garmin.

I’m on a MAC if anyone else is having issues or tips on macs reach out.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Computer does not see my Garmin 900xt, what gives? [andrewblerner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is the link for downloading ANT Agent and Garmin Training Center: http://www8.garmin.com/...product=999-99999-04

Don't forget to uninstall Garmin Express first though.

Elisha
Quote Reply
Re: Computer does not see my Garmin 900xt, what gives? [andrewblerner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoop! Apologies there f_ahsile04 misread a word. Hopefully you'll forgive me.

However, your reference goes back to March which is a few months ago and a few updates since. Personally, I don't believe the few people who post to the forum with problems represent the many thousands who don't have problems, but each to their own. That's not to say the problems don't exist; we know they do.

However, in my experience it works on Macs and Windows, and that's Windows 8.1 operating in a virtual environment on a Mac. While people are still reporting problems in the forums, few come back after being pointed in the right direction. For once, Garmin support is taking a positive part in trying to resolve the issues,not something Garmin are renowned for. I think they accept they stuffed up with the launch of Garmin Express before it was ready and before Garmin Connect had been updated.

I suggest anybody with problems pick up on the latest responses in the Garmin Forums. Failing that, post there and hopefully you'll get a response before too long.

No I don't work for Garmin and have no interest in their business beyond being a user.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hate it when that happens!

One problem I did have with Garmin Express occurred when choosing to delete the activity from the device after it had been uploaded to Garmin Connect. In the early days, with this box checked the data would be deleted form the device but never appear on Garmin Connect. The file in the folder was unreadable. I thought it had been fixed a couple of releases ago and had been quite happily having my activities automatically deleted from the device. I noticed this afternoon that the box had become unchecked and data was still on my device. Obviously only happened in the last few days as that was are far back as the data went. So I re-checked the box and went for a run.

Came back, got the data upload all done and there we were back to square one and having to uncheck the box again. Why am I telling you this? Because someone may well find my post on the Garmin forums and use it to beat me around the head with, as evidence for some heinous crime or other.

It appears that, in the Mac version of Garmin Express (whatever the latest version is) at least, you may want to choose not to have Garmin Express delete data from your device after upload. It's broken again.

Here's the link to the forum post - https://forums.garmin.com/...nd-losing-them-910XT

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phillip- thanks of the info. I have contacted Garmin back in June, August and later in September and have yet to hear anything back from them. Kinda peev’ed now. Still having a hard time getting the watch to sync/ or the ANT to pick up my watch etc. Its like a circus trying to get a segment to go from watch to computer. It’l take me at least a couple tries and theres no guarantee the the work out will show in connect, Its really bothersome. At this point I think I have tried every thing except to re install and delete express
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There just may be a problem with your USB stick. If you can get hold of another one to test that might be worth a try.

Sometimes the transfers don't always go through first time. Most of us have other stuff running around the house that operates on the same wireless frequency as the USB stick and it can interfere sometimes. I've learnt to set it up and walk away rather than watch it happen.

One thing, if you are running Garmin Express, make sure you do not have the box checked to delete from device after update.

Garmin are a bit hit and miss with their email responses, but the Garmin Express team appear to be reasonably active on the forums at the moment. If you haven't posted there, it may well be worthwhile doing so. You might just get a better response.

One last question, are you saving the activity to the device after you've stopped the activity?

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Quote Reply