Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [IREPathletics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happened in the tour de france before.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's probably happened more times than we would all like to think, but then again judging by the responses in this thread perhaps not. Remember during an Alcatraz race in the mid 1990's there were tacks strewn around the road winding through the Presidio. That was a sucky mess.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [endurathonrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too often we have threads about law enforcement not caring about cyclist safety -- thankfully that's not the case here:

http://www.northwestgeorgianews.com/...91-001a4bcf6878.html
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice to get clarification from the race director, thanks brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Incredible job by you, your crew and the authorities Brian. I loved IM Chattanooga and hope to be back someday. Every local person I met was thrilled and excited to have the race. Sadly, there are idiots everywhere.
----------------------
You do know that the tacks were thrown mid race? The oil happened before the event and was taken care of before almost everyone arrived. I think my course guys and local authorities did an incredible job responding to the issues. This has nothing to do with be being "lazy" or "cheap."

Brian Myrick - RD[/quote]
formerly but still a Run Snail...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endurathonrd wrote:
You do know that the tacks were thrown mid race? The oil happened before the event and was taken care of before almost everyone arrived. I think my course guys and local authorities did an incredible job responding to the issues. This has nothing to do with be being "lazy" or "cheap."

Brian Myrick - RD

No, I don't think many/any folks knew the tacks were thrown mid-race, including those people who were at the race. I know the Free Times articles I read never mentioned it happened mid-race. I am sure if most had known that, there would be no issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [justarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How were they being lazy? Did you do the race? Did you actually witness their response? I did, and I saw them out cleaning up the mess before I even got to the sections where the oils were spread. I was in the water within the first minute of the age group start so I was one of the early riders out on the course. I actually did the race and was there to witness how quickly WTC worked to clean messed that they had no control over. Also, it appeared the course had been swept and they had all the potholes and rough sections along the bike course clearly marked with orange paint prior to the start. If you weren't actually there then you can't really comment on their response to these incidents.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [Bull_Winkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dumping tacks and oil onto the road is probably the result a republican/conservative tactic within the bible belt to discourage cycling. I could be wrong, but out here in the liberal west coast, I can't recall an incident of slime balls dumping tacks onto an event bike course.

Happened at the Boulevard RR many years ago. There are a lot of redneck enclaves in CA.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From some of the pics I've seen I don't believe that tacks and oil are the only problem-

Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary Mc wrote:
justarunner wrote:
This was my thinking exactly.

WTC is just being horribly financially lazy at the cost of their customer.

It's just so hard to imagine how such a company constantly doesn't do what they can to make the customer happy while still making huge profits.

Just look at Disney, they charge INSANE amounts for 5ks and half marathons and provide unparalleled satisfaction. They will gladly spend an extra few thousand to make people happy.

WTC, take a note from Disney. Stop sucking and dicking your customers.

WTC typically sweeps the bike course twice before a race as well as patching potholes and marking hazards. I know because I have been that guy marking every turn, sweeping corners, and laying down qwik-patch. They also have multiple vehicles ahead of the race looking for anything that could create a safety hazard. Then there are bike techs on course patroling sections to help athletes with mechanical issues. And there are police and hundreds of volunteers on the course. Still it's 112 miles of open road and a determined person can vandalize the course if that is what they choose to do.
While I know it's popular to rag on WTC as greedy and uncaring, the truth is they do a tremendous amount of work behind the scenes to ensure a safe race and a good experience for everyone.

/

Can't fault WTC for their efforts.

I also know that Rev3 had some local volunteers out patching potholes last weekend on the bike course ahead of the November 9th Rev3 FL. In addition, they were doing some PR with folks living along the route who might be inconvenienced during the race.

Unfortunately there are always going to be some jerks out there who get a kick out of causing problems for others. Just like the folks who routinely break their beer bottles on the bike lanes around here every week.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maui5150 wrote:
Get used to this. There is a growing tide of resentment against these events especially longer events like Ironman which can tie up roads for hours if not most of the day.

And look on the brightside... If they were more aggressive or in the know they would have used Anti-freeze. It is a pain to clean up and you go through anti-freeze on pavement, it is like ice.

I also would not be surprised in the next five years if a car deliberately runs cyclists off the road during a race.

You're about 5 years late on a car running cyclists off the road:

Or even runners: http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/...hon-1-person-injured
Last edited by: vecchia capra: Oct 1, 14 9:49
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turd Ferguson wrote:
From some of the pics I've seen I don't believe that tacks and oil are the only problem-

Welcome to every tri in the US with more than 500 people in it (and some of those as well).

Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
Is there any thought that this might be in retaliation to nearly 12 months of new bicyclists crowding uncrowded streets, breaking laws, and leaving trash behind?

Imagine you live in a sleepy community. Then one day your streets have been invaded with bicyclists who won't share the road and who disregard stop signs and traffic lights.

I agree, the only recourse to litter and ignoring stop signs is to do something to them that might cause serious injury or worse.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endurathonrd wrote:
I think my course guys and local authorities did an incredible job responding to the issues. This has nothing to do with be being "lazy" or "cheap."

Brian Myrick - RD

I think the local community were absolutely spot on. Just because some tit decides to do that (something that happens at a lot of other races) the overriding story should be about the sheer size of the welcome from Chattanooga that everyone received.

Just as an example, I walked / hobbled past a pub shortly after crossing the finishing line. I was wearing a silver space blanket and shivering away. The whole pub / patio erupted in applause, invited me in and bought me beer. Brilliant.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was out there racing this year. I agree with you. The cops and the volunteers that were out there to direct us away from the trouble areas were awesome. I saw the sand absorbent, but didn't know the reason for it until after the race. I saw the cyclists with flats on the side of the road, but didn't know the true cause until after the race. From my saddle, it was as if nothing happened.

endurathonrd wrote:

Brian Myrick - RD

Quote | Reply
I felt like whoever was covering the oil areas did an excellent job of directing traffic. Both times I rode past it I thought it was erosion slide or something similar based on the dirt but it was very clear what traffic police want us racers to do out there.

I also had the chance to ride the course multiple times before race day. I had in my head certain places to watch for bumps and potholes and such. Everyone I rode past was filled or marked on race day.

I didn't sign up for next year because it doesn't quite align with my 2015 plans, but I will definitely be back to do that race again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree. The team did an outstanding job in my eyes. I was one of the first riders through that section and by the time I got there cops were already setup, blocking the lane and diverted traffic and bikers. If not for the news stories, I wouldn't have thought twice about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turd Ferguson wrote:

That is a static picture. Can't tell anything from a static picture.

*** Add pink if you like.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks and oil at IM Choo [Daremo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was passed by 3-4 pelotons. Each time I yelled at them and asked if they planned on cheating the entire bike course. Not one person looked over to acknowlege me. I think that one of the larger groups of around 20 was directly responsible for an accident that happened right outside of the town in Georgia. They need more race officials, particularly on the back half of the loop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That rider spacing is about as good as you are going to realistically get with a huge number of people. If drafting is what you are referring to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea if these guys were ever caught?

Damn, that's a cold ass honkey.
Quote Reply

Prev Next