Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but there is little doubt that electronics and batteries add some new complexity to the mix

That is not necessarily true. A well designed and well build electronic system consisting of simple switches, wires, simple step motors and robust electronic circuit boards, while complicated to design and build, is much much less complicated in actual use than a mechanical system of levers, gears, springs, wire cable routed through multiple bends and cable housing. There is a whole bunch of complicated stuff going on when you shift a mechanical derailleur that we just don't think about.

There are many good arguments why one should not spend the premium for electronic shifting but complexity is not one of them.

Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
A well designed and well build electronic system consisting of simple switches, wires, simple step motors and robust electronic circuit boards, while complicated to design and build, is much much less complicated in actual use than a mechanical system of levers, gears, springs, wire cable routed through multiple bends and cable housing. There is a whole bunch of complicated stuff going on when you shift a mechanical derailleur that we just don't think about. There are many good arguments why one should not spend the premium for electronic shifting but complexity is not one of them.

No doubt di2 is uncomplicated to use when it works, that is part of its very appeal.

However, when it fails, the additional complexity of the system (see underlined part above) plays a significant part in whether a permanent or jury-rigged solution to the failure or problem is possible without advanced diagnostic equip.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to spend my money on things that actually make me go faster. Once you've checked off ALL of those boxes, and you're doing all the destination races you want, then, sure, it's a awesome option. I test rode a bike with one. it was really cool. But I wouldn't pay more than maybe $400 extra for it over the same group. That's all it's worth to ME at least. I think it costs around at least $800-1000 more currently. Maybe when a Shimano 105 Ci2 11 speed (C for cheap-ass) comes out, I'll be more interested.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
But I wouldn't pay more than maybe $400 extra for it over the same group. That's all it's worth to ME at least.

I have Di2 on a used road bike so I did not pay full price. I'd agree with the $400 figure for its approximate "worth." It is great. It works. And it has benefits. But as an avid fan of Di2, I'd have a hard time recommending spending full price for it unless you a) have money to burn, b) multiple shift locations is worth a lot to your or c) you just get a huge amount of pleasure from owning and using the latest technology. It is definitely worth more than mechanical, it is just not quite worth $1000+ for all but a few people.
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you look at all the responses to these threads you'll seem the same themes presented time after time.

1. Di2 owners all love it and never want to go back (except for 1 guy).

2. People without Di2 cannot see the value in it which is likely why they don't own it.

If you can afford it, then you will love it. If you need to sacrifice to get Di2 then the equation becomes more complicated.

I personally like the response of the guy that bought a "last years" bike with Di2 versus a "this years" bike with mechanicals. it's the same thing I did and gives you the best of both worlds.

And remember, the "this years" bike will shortly be "last years" bike but you'll keep on loving Di2 every year.
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [Goobdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, then. How about all this cool info that you can get from Di2 with the EWW01 wireless transmitter and a Garmin Edge 1000?

http://di2stats.com/rides/view/451
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
STP wrote:
A well designed and well build electronic system consisting of simple switches, wires, simple step motors and robust electronic circuit boards, while complicated to design and build, is much much less complicated in actual use than a mechanical system of levers, gears, springs, wire cable routed through multiple bends and cable housing. There is a whole bunch of complicated stuff going on when you shift a mechanical derailleur that we just don't think about. There are many good arguments why one should not spend the premium for electronic shifting but complexity is not one of them.

No doubt di2 is uncomplicated to use when it works, that is part of its very appeal.

However, when it fails, the additional complexity of the system (see underlined part above) plays a significant part in whether a permanent or jury-rigged solution to the failure or problem is possible without advanced diagnostic equip.

You seem to have the impression that this thing oftentimes fail. I am curious. Do you even Di2?

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [goodboyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... keep in mind that my perspective is that of someone just looking for speed, so I look for 3 benefits 1) Significant improvement to aerodynamics 2) Improvement to rolling resistance 3) Improvement to reliability or durability 4) Improvement to pacing, training, or something that allows me to train more (saves time).

Examples... I still have a older 404 front and no disc or disc cover on the rear. Rationale, disc covers that will fit a Trek SC7 are not cheap, and the time savings at low yaw (where I'm at most of the time) are minimal. Time savings from a older 404 to a wide rim FC 404 is minimal as well. Not worth the cost.

But again, the amount of disposable income plays a huge factor. If you have it, awesome, absolutely spend it on what you love doing and spend most of you time outside of family and work. I wouldn't; hesitate to buy Di2 over getting a nicer car. Hell, I'm tempted some times to sell my car and get a cheaper used car.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
goodboyr wrote:
Ok, then. How about all this cool info that you can get from Di2 with the EWW01 wireless transmitter and a Garmin Edge 1000?

http://di2stats.com/rides/view/451

That should be banned. It is worse than texting. Trying to read all those numbers while riding is going to get you killed.

Time to go ride my fixed gear.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its an after the fact analysis. All the garmin shows you is what gear you are in.
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paxfobiscum wrote:
You seem to have the impression that this thing oftentimes fail. I am curious. Do you even Di2?

Not really, about the failure.
And I have used a di2 bike, but you're correct in that I don't own one, at least not yet. But when I used the electronic bike, I did like how it worked.

What I was saying earlier is that there is a judgment call: when di2 works (for most riders, this is most of the time), it can give you some very nice shifting options. However, if/when di2 fails during a long ride, during a race, or before/during an important event, then the frustration (and possible impossibility) of dealing with the failure on the spot or with little avail time may far far outweigh all of the benefits of having di2 for the rest of the time.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So how does that information help you on a bike ride?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No barrel adjusters to play with, no cables to snap or stretch, flawless shifting every time. No going back to mechanical for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goobdog wrote:
When you look at all the responses to these threads you'll seem the same themes presented time after time.

1. Di2 owners all love it and never want to go back (except for 1 guy).

2. People without Di2 cannot see the value in it which is likely why they don't own it.

If you can afford it, then you will love it. If you need to sacrifice to get Di2 then the equation becomes more complicated.

I personally like the response of the guy that bought a "last years" bike with Di2 versus a "this years" bike with mechanicals. it's the same thing I did and gives you the best of both worlds.

And remember, the "this years" bike will shortly be "last years" bike but you'll keep on loving Di2 every year.

Aside from the "technology coolness" factor, I'm still having a hard time understanding the overwhelming LOVE for Di2.

Let's take a look at the purported benefits:

- Shift quality: IME, shifts with good mechanical setups are just as nice. It might take a tiny bit more force and/or movement at the lever, but I actually prefer that tactile feedback.

- Front shifting and trim: I rarely, if ever, use the trim settings on my current FD setups, and I don't get rub, plus I make sure the FD is set up properly to avoid drops, so I'm not seeing the point there either.

- Not having to adjust over time: "cable stretch" is a myth...it's really about housing compression/degradation over time (especially at ferrules), and I've found that using quality, solid housing (such as Nokon) basically eliminates that effect so that my mechanical setups are virtually "set up once and forget". Plus, see my earlier post about Di2 not being immune to getting knocked out of adjustment.

- Multiple shift locations: OK...I can see that for TT/Tri use. Then again, I also have to question how often that would actually be used.

- Better hand positioning for UCI TTs: Understood. Then again, that's more of a "UCI silly rule" issue than a technology issue.

Are mechanical systems really so hard to get set up properly? Is a quality cable housing really such a difficult thing to pay for...especially compared to the incremental cost of electronic shifting? I'm not seeing that.

Like I said earlier, I've spent some quality time on Di2 bikes...and I've never gotten off the bike and just told myself "Shit...now I've got to go buy a new gruppo." I've had that experience with other sporting goods before after demoing them (e.g. skis, full suspension MTB, etc.) so it's not like I'm immune ;-)

About the only time I was ever tempted to get a Di2 system was when Shimano was running a special at Interbike at the intro of the Ultegra Di2 gruppo and I was thinking it could make bar swaps on my S5 easier...but, even at the discounted price and with that more tangible benefit in front of me, I couldn't come to the point of pulling the trigger.

Of course, maybe that's just me...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [Anth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This question has been posted in ST over a dozen times in the past five years and the responses have been (surprise!) exactly the same:

A) I love them and they are amazing. They are the best invention next to toast bread - especially for TT bikes.
B) Meh. They are not worth it. Too expensive. No advantages. They won't make me a better cyclist. But I don't own them.
C) Somewhere between A and B (the minority).

The answer is really quite simple. No, let me restate that... THE ANSWER is there but you have to find out on your own by trying a Di2 equipped bike and comparing it to one without (which you already own.)

I own a few TT and road bikes and had two of the exact same Speed Concepts, one with Di2 and the other mechanical. I trained on both, raced on both and got rid of the mechanical and kept the Di2. After trying a road bike with Di2, I am now building a Di2-equipped road bike. So it is pretty clear that I prefer the Di2 setup. No I won't go into the reasons (like everybody here have done.) I just prefer the Di2. PERIOD.

Yes, the next question is - but how about the cost of the Di2!? I was smart about purchasing my Di2 parts. I built my first Di2 equipped bike in 2010 and bought all my parts from ebay and massive season ending sales. For only about $1600, I was able to assemble all the necessary Di2 components for the Speed Concept. Compare this to the Di2 retail price of about $3200, the the mechanical retail price of about $1500. It took me a few months of ebay browsing but in the end I assemble my entire gruppo.

So for those who are wishy-washy about it. You have to test a Di2 equipped bike and make a decision after you test it. Asking other people what they think about their experiences (or lack of it) regarding Di2 won't help much because they will always be either A or B. If and when you make the decision, find out if you can purchase the Di2 based on your budget. If you cannot, then the decision is much easier to make - you WON'T purchase it because you CAN'T.

Waiting and waiting and asking and waiting is akin to "Analysis Paralysis". In the meantime, others who have made the decision are enjoying the fruits of their conviction while you are suffering from the lack of decision.

I have enjoyed mine tremendously for five years.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Last edited by: paxfobiscum: Sep 30, 14 12:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been on the original DA 7090 Di2 for over 4 years on my 2011 Trek SC 9.9, it's been flawless and battery needs a charge once anywhere from 4-6 months depending on mileage. On a TT/tri bike its a major advantage to be able to shift from the base bars especially out of the saddle, if u can afford it, drop the coin on it. On a road bike however its neither here nor there other than bling factor. I run SRAM Red 10s on my roadie and don't miss electronic shifting at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for full disclosure, i've ridden bikes with di2 since 2010. i've converted all my road and cross bikes. i ride mechanical shifting for MTB (though that may change). i've worked with plenty of shimano, sram and campy systems.

Tom A. wrote:
Let's take a look at the purported benefits:

- Shift quality: IME, shifts with good mechanical setups are just as nice. It might take a tiny bit more force and/or movement at the lever, but I actually prefer that tactile feedback.
i think the top-level groups from every manufacturer are amazing. shift quality when properly set up is great. there are a few scenarios where di2 absolutely shines. they may not apply to everyone or very often, but for some people it is important -- e.g., front shifts under load...esp if you have stiff chainrings. (no, i don't believe mortals lose power by not having stiff chainrings, but front shifts under load is one area where flexy chainrings get exposed.)

tactile feedback is lacking in shimano's road di2 -- but they have reportedly addressed this for their MTB di2. i haven't tried it yet.

i recently switched my wife's bike to di2. after she'd ridden it a bit, i came to realize that there were many rides prior where she simply accepted being in the wrong chainring because she didn't want to/couldn't easily shift back to the big ring. her hands are small and in order to shift to the big ring she'd nearly have to let go of the bar to get the shift to happen. in some scenarios this was terrifying for her.

di2 tends to be marketed toward experienced cyclists, but i can see a strong benefit for women and/or riders with smaller hands. while my wife is a recreational rider, in the first week that she had di2 we discovered several other women who are far more accomplished (e.g., one who rides mountains in europe for 3 weeks each year) who simply do not shift the front ring.

it was surprising to me.

Tom A. wrote:
- Front shifting and trim: I rarely, if ever, use the trim settings on my current FD setups, and I don't get rub, plus I make sure the FD is set up properly to avoid drops, so I'm not seeing the point there either.
depends on the group. some groups require it, others don't. some groups -- IME -- are pretty damn hard to set up so that there is no rub at all. 7900 springs to mind. should be a 1-time thing, but di2 makes it easier.

Tom A. wrote:
- Not having to adjust over time: "cable stretch" is a myth...it's really about housing compression/degradation over time (especially at ferrules), and I've found that using quality, solid housing (such as Nokon) basically eliminates that effect so that my mechanical setups are virtually "set up once and forget". Plus, see my earlier post about Di2 not being immune to getting knocked out of adjustment.

everything can go out of adjustment. i've set up di2 on a number of friends' bikes. there are plenty of smart people out there who can't figure out how a barrel adjuster works (turn it counterclockwise to add tension...), yet i see them easily grasp the concept of micro-adjusting di2. this is not why *i* would by a group set, but i do notice it.

Tom A. wrote:
- Multiple shift locations: OK...I can see that for TT/Tri use. Then again, I also have to question how often that would actually be used.
i basically never use shifting from the horns during a TT, but i train on my TT bike and find the ability to shift from multiple locations is something i use often, on every ride. i don't even live in an area with much traffic (i'd be on the horns even more if that were the case), but on MUPs, rests between intervals, stuff like that...i'm using it quite a bit. i don't have to choose between the ability to shift and the ability to brake.

i actually think TT/Tri bikes are one of the best applications of the technology. i do like multiple shift points on my road bike, too (sprint shifters). not a reason to buy di2, but a point in favor...for me.

Tom A. wrote:
- Better hand positioning for UCI TTs: Understood. Then again, that's more of a "UCI silly rule" issue than a technology issue.

well, the UCI rules finally removed the mechanical loophole.

Tom A. wrote:
Are mechanical systems really so hard to get set up properly? Is a quality cable housing really such a difficult thing to pay for...especially compared to the incremental cost of electronic shifting? I'm not seeing that.
i see poorly set up mechanical systems all the time. i see stock housing used, which DOES settle in a bit. they don't know that compression-less housing exists. nokon doesn't come stock on most bikes (any?) -- and many people i interact with aren't inclined to change their own housing. they don't know what they don't know.

most folks do the bare minimum of maintenance. in my opinion, di2 benefits that user.

Tom A. wrote:
Like I said earlier, I've spent some quality time on Di2 bikes...and I've never gotten off the bike and just told myself "Shit...now I've got to go buy a new gruppo." I've had that experience with other sporting goods before after demoing them (e.g. skis, full suspension MTB, etc.) so it's not like I'm immune ;-)
it's a fair point. i think it is not a matter of "need" but "want." some want it, some don't. the sum of the small benefits -- for me -- makes me want it, and when i switch back to mechanical after using di2 for so long i miss it. i never *needed* a cell phone, either, but now i feel as if i do.

you are a more than competent mechanic, you surely love the technical aspects of bikes....it's not surprising that you would see the mechanical setup as "no big deal." i don't think this represents the majority of cyclists -- at least not the ones i see.

i'm glad that there are options for everyone. i personally don't know too many people who would NOT ride di2 if it were equally priced as a mechanical group. even your interbike example suggests this -- if it cost you nothing additional, it sounds like you probably would have been on it for your S5.

(interesting that you mention that S5 point. for one of my bikes, i occasionally set it up for a pure hill climb. di2 makes it easier for me to swap bars. i run one shifter and remove the rear brake. i never pulled all this stuff when i ran mechanical, but di2 opens up that option and makes it easy enough that i now do it.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Ultegra Di2 and luv it. Front shifting is perfect

One advantage I didn't see mentioned is that there is no reason to not always be in the perfect gear. With mechanical I would sometimes not bother shifting if I was nearing somewhere where I would need to change again shortly. With the great front shifting its so easy to shift, and so flawless that I always shift. I know u can do the same thing with mechanical but it is so easy and quick with di2 that I find myself shifting much more often.
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [hammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So all egos aside.. Wow some of you slow twitch members ..

If $ is no object get the di2

Nobody has provided data of you have to have it because #### data

That said I'm leaning di2 - my issue is my setup will have hydraulic brakes thus no brake shifters thus added aftermarket cost
Thus and thus
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in a word: No
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This. I'm on a 2009 Fuji Team Pro, currently rocking a very old Ultegra group. I'm unlikely to ever exceed or even approach the limits of what might be possible with this bike, so until it cracks, gets stolen, or spontaneously combusts, I'll be sticking with it. However, it's very likely that as more parts wear down I'll replace the groupset, and when I do, it'll be Di2. I will most definitely benefit from the best of both worlds.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Anth and All,

All this 'blather TM' just to prepare our minds for the no shift automatic transmission world that is coming.

Cheers,

Neal

+1 mph Faster

Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting, is it really worth it?? [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2
Quote Reply

Prev Next