Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit, Speedsuit, and Tri-suit oh my!
Quote | Reply
Just getting into Triathlons. I'm starting with sprints. I signed up for one in August but it was cancelled. Plan to do two next year. Trying to figure out all the options and buying stuff without going bankrupt. I've got the bike stuff taken care of and runners are not a problem. It's the swim stuff that has me confused.
In our area, it seems most events are wetsuit swims so I will invest in one. I don't think I need a speedsuit right now as it seems it's just for swimming when wetsuits aren't allowed. Is that correct?
What about a one piece tri-suit? I don't get it. Is it for swimming in when wet/speed suits aren't allowed/needed? Can I just use tri bike shorts for the swim (under the wetsuit when its called for) and use my sleeveless cycling jersey that I can put on after the ride? I know that's not pro but I'm far from pro.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit, Speedsuit, and Tri-suit oh my! [frozenchosen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri is VERY gear intensive and expensive. So just leave the credit card at the trishop ;>)

Seriously.
* If most race swims in your area are wetsuit legal and the water is relatively cold during training, just go buy a full sleeved wetsuit (Faster, Warmer and if it too warm on a particular day you can swim without it). Here in Southern Cal most people swim in the Ocean in Rubber even during the Summer regardless of swim ability because the Ocean is cold. Yes tough people 70 is cold for a lot of people.
* TriSuits / Tri Kit etc you can swim in under you wetsuit. This is also normal and what everyone does in wetsuit races. If it is a non wetsuit race you can swim in it during your race. Pockets may slow you down, but this is a normal thing for many people who are not A) Willing to spend B) Not on the pointy tip of winning AG or Overall or Super competitive
* Speedsuit. Not Needed but used in non wetsuit swims. Goes over the top of your race day kit. It keeps drag from forming on pocket etc from the trisuit. If you are competitive or have the funds go for it. But unless you race a lot in non wetsuit races no need

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit, Speedsuit, and Tri-suit oh my! [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot, that's very helpful.

Is an actual tri-suit needed or can I "get away with" just shorts and a regular light weight cycling jersey for the bike and run? I can see the benefit of one piece but I'm not sure it's that huge for where I'm at.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never had a trisuit. Swimskins didn't exist either.

for my 2 half IM races, I wore a full or 3/4 zip bike jersey that I put on in T1, pockets already loaded with anything I needed on the bike (a few gels). Unzip it in the last mile of the bike and took that off in T2, then threw on a running singlet as I was jogging out of T2. It'll mean an extra 15 seconds on transition. Unless you are at the top of your AG, big deal.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A tri kit will be more comfortable as it is designed for use in all events.
However, the distance of the event / personal choice dictates the best outfit. You can wear shorts (bike or otherwise) and a bike jersey as your choose to and many do. However, Bike Shorts big chamois not designed to get wet and or run in. Bike jersey lots of fabric under the wetsuit that can pinch and chafe.

My rule of thumb (Note I am: willing to spend $ on tri gear / have lots of tri already / not financially responsible for anyone else (wife, kids, etc)
* Sprint tri kit pockets not a factor
* Oly 1pc tri pockets not a factor. Tri kit chamois not a factor either
* Half 1pm tri kit, pockets are a factor (nutrition, flat kit), chamois also a factor.
* Ironman. 3 complete changes Wetsuit speedo / Proper Bike Kit / 1pc tri kit

Note I am only "racing" the sprint, oly, and Half's. Ironman is just a long day to swim bike run and walk a bit.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good ITU style trisuit can double as a speedsuit. Granted if the swim is wetsuit legal you might get a tad cold without a wetsuit. ZeroD, Kiwami are 2 of the best known brands

The one piece is meant to be worn the whole race. In a wetsuit swim it goes under the suit and for a non wetsuit swim you wear just the one piece.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say at minimum get yourself tri shorts and a tri top -- you can race any distance in that duo.

Your tri club might have tri gear at good prices. When I was starting out, I found excellent deals on new and occasionally used tri clothing on ebay. That's where I got my Sailfish speedsuit ($50) a women's Zoot tri-top ($15) and two DeSoto trisuits ($25 each). I have raced in the trisuit, but it's a bit too thin to wear without a sports bra underneath (I learned from the post-race podium photos) but I use them when riding the trainer indoors.

Pro's Closet, a store on ebay, often has great deals.

If you're not super-picky about brands and just interested in trying different kinds of tri clothing, nothing beats the just-ending auctions on ebay. I've never been stung.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit, Speedsuit, and Tri-suit oh my! [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been thinking of a speedsuit for some time. What makes a good one, what should I be looking for?
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit, Speedsuit, and Tri-suit oh my! [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the tips.

I have regular bike shorts that I've been cycling and running in. I've heard they would be gross to swim in and then bike and run. What I see online is that a decent pair of tri shorts are close to $100 but right now I'm seeing lots of sales on tri-suits (Zoot, 2XU, Orca and others) for not much more - less than $125.

Kind of feels like in for a penny, in for a pound.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
frozenchosen wrote:
Thanks for all the tips.

I have regular bike shorts that I've been cycling and running in. I've heard they would be gross to swim in and then bike and run. What I see online is that a decent pair of tri shorts are close to $100 but right now I'm seeing lots of sales on tri-suits (Zoot, 2XU, Orca and others) for not much more - less than $125.

Kind of feels like in for a penny, in for a pound.

The different between bike shorts and triathlon-specific ones is that the chamois (the padding) is smaller in the triathlon-specific version meaning that a) it dries faster and b) it's easier to run in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go old-school. All you need is a speedo.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit, Speedsuit, and Tri-suit oh my! [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Go old-school. All you need is a speedo.

I think the OP is a female so this might not be legal in some areas. Or aerodynamic.

Edit: I might have confused the OP with another poster. So nevermind, maybe.
Last edited by: Staz: Sep 24, 14 16:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife made me vow to never wear a speedo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Figure out what the most expensive tri suit kit is. Wetsuit, speed suit, plus tri suit and compression docks, whole 9 yards. Tell her the price. When she comes to after passing out from shock, tell her that you can save some cash by racing in a neon green speedo you found when Kenny Souza was cleaning out his closet. She can spend the difference on shoes or handbags.

You'll get the speedo.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Worth trying.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit, Speedsuit, and Tri-suit oh my! [HH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's a tad hard to get on and a little bit harder than that to breath you found one.

But really, you want it snug. Much like a wetsuit it will come off fairly easy. No brands to report in on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathlon: Good life choice! Better luck on the races not being canceled next year.

Wetsuit: a) are you comfortable without one if the water is not cold? Read: do you need one for peace of mind.
- if you are are comfortable, great, many athletes are not. You could 'get away' with swimming without one.
b) Are you looking for speed? If yes, wetsuits will help greatly with reduced energy cost. Just make sure to take it off quick so as to not negate the time you just saved.
c) So you're getting a suit: Full or no sleeves. This is a personal preference. Some hate being trapped in a suit, sleeveless is their go-to.
d) once you have one, go ahead and practice with it.

Speedsuit: It's additional, not extremely necessary (kinda like race wheels, if you can buy 'em get 'em). Use when wetsuits not legal.

Tri Suit: One piece or tops and bottom. Person preference. I love the one piece by Kiwami, open back, snug, feels like a speedsuit, dries fast, comfy. Clearly, sponsor names would make it look much cooler. Whatever makes you feel fast and efficient. In most tris you will see a large variety of clothing choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit, Speedsuit, and Tri-suit oh my! [QueenCity1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the questions and thoughts, QueenCity1.

The events I am looking at say: Wetsuit allowed/recommended due to the cold water.
If wetsuits aren't allowed, I would probably just go with the tri suit rather than a speed suit simply for budget reasons.

I haven't tried a sleeveless wetsuit. I tried an entry level Aquasphere in store and the highest end Huub in a 120m salt water pool. I liked it the full sleeves, especially after one of the other swimmers adjusted it for me and I could breath better. Funny thing: I was surprised how many new friends I could make simply by wearing a wetsuit in a pool! Anyway, I plan to buy a high end Xterra because there's a sale on them until the end of the month.

For the tri suit, I'm looking around online to find a good deal on a high end one piece model for around $100.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
frozenchosen wrote:
My wife made me vow to never wear a speedo.

Mmmm - Could be time to time to trade the old girl in!

You do have a get out clause - turning 50. Speedo's all the way. Beach, pool, lake - doesn't matter. My next non wetsuit Oly will be speedo from start to finish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can :
1. get a good quality trisuit in which you'll be able to swim, bike and run. You'll be fast in the water in all circumstances, you'll be very aero on the bike and super comfortable on the run.
2. get several suits for 1 single race: the swimskin to be faster than fast, the sleeved top that is more aero than aero, and not sure what else you would need for the run.

option 1 is very simple, makes your life super ez at transitions and lets you concentrate on the race itself.
option 2 will certainly challenge you before and all thru the race; time will fly as you keep trying to adjust your sleeves and wrinkles.

my advice: tris are already super complex; don't add to it.

Kiwami North America
http://www.kiwamitri.com
http://www.aquamantri.com
contact@kiwamitri.com
http://www.facebook/kiwamitriusa
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at the Kiwami tri suits. Close enough to a speedsuit for those races that aren't wetsuit legal.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit, Speedsuit, and Tri-suit oh my! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quick question from a newbie triathlete. I keep hearing a speedsuit is worth xx on a swim. As my swimming is a work in progress my question is would it help me?
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit, Speedsuit, and Tri-suit oh my! [AXELLE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A speedsuit will help just about anyone in the water and it is worth it. However, if you're doing primarily short course races (Sprint/Oly), a good tri suit from Kiwami will be "close enough" to a speedsuit. Frankly, I'd only invest in a speedsuit if I were doing a 70.3 or 140.6 swim that I knew wouldn't be wetsuit legal (e.g. Ironman Cozumel).
Quote Reply