Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
So I was "worst crash in 8 years of Savageman"
Quote | Reply
At least that is what kny said.

Gonna share some details for whoever might care. Personal therapy I guess. Sorry for spelling/grammer, I am a bit drugged up right now.

I went into race coming at the end of a great year cycling-wise. Was in elite wave and hoping for top 5-10 finish. Went full aero: tri bike, trispoke, wheel cover, even freshly shaven legs.

Had my standard mediocre swim and was ready to reel people in on the bike. Was really feeling pretty good. Then we got to the first big descent. This is the one with tons of signs warning us to slow down. Tons of warnings at pre-race meeting. And I saw how dangerous it was when driving the course the day before. The very first corner on this descent took me out.

I went into this corner way too fast. I am generally not one to take major risks on descents but I also don't want to lose time riding the brakes. I clearly misjudged this one. I hit the corner, realized I really needed to slow down, hit the brakes, felt my rear wheel lose traction in gravel, and knew I was screwed. The last thing i remember thinking was "I am going into the ditch". Then I woke up in the ditch.

Looking at my garmin data I appears that I was going 40 mph into the corner and only slowed to 35.

So anyway I remember waking up in the ditch and someone was already in there helping me. I believe this was a local biker who was out on the course named Eric. I was pretty confused and remember thinking something like. "Where am I, I think I was doing a race, maybe I should get up and get racing again, maybe I am hurt, wonder where my bike is". I was bleeding pretty good from my head onto my knee. My tongue noticed what seemed like a missing tooth. That sucks. Then I noticed that as my tongue was exploring my mouth it was also moving my entire face around. I am an MD and quickly realized I was seriously injured. What I thought was a missing tooth was actually my upper jaw overlapping itself. Multiple bad facial fractures.

Went in ambulance to local hospital. They did some scans and discovered that my mildly sore upper back was actually an unstable T9 fracture and several other spinal fractures.. They transferred me to West Virginia University. Had surgery on face and spine on the next day. Neurosurgeons did a fusion of most of my T spine with 2 rods that are supposed to come out in 6 month or so. At least 5 plates in my face. my jaw is essentially wired in place and I am on liquid diet for 6 weeks or so.

No brain damage. No spinal cord damage. Everything will heal. But it does really hurt.

Amazingly my bike seems to have come out without a scratch. Just a flat front tire.

Thank-you to everyone who helped me that day. Especially Eric in the ditch and the volunteer on the motorcycle who stayed with me most of the day while we waited for my wife to arrive. Thanks to whoever took care of my bike and other stuff. Thanks to the RDs who put on a great race. I was adequately warned about the dangerous descent, I just screwed up.
Quote Reply
Re: So I was "worst crash in 8 years of Savageman" [jonahsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
woah!
Glad you are going to be alright! Scary stuff.

Heal up quick

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you're going to recover. You may want to read this book about a University of Virginia student who crashed on the Blue Ridge Parkway while training for an IM and had extensive facial injuries. He recovered and had a great race in Cozumel:

http://www.amazon.com/...ywords=the+road+back

Here's a shorter version of the story that ran in a Philadelphia newspaper:

http://articles.philly.com/...ove-sweeper-position

I was riding right behind your ambulance going down Spring Lick Rd. I saw two women in tri clothing off their bikes walking about 100 yards up the hill from where you crashed, then a bunch of people and bikes were still off the side of the road where you went off. I had thought that many more people were involved.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow....really sorry to hear about an accident this severe. Best of luck on a smooth recovery.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to hear everything will be ok long term. I must have been a few riders behind you because there was already people with you and you were climbing out of the ditch. They did a great job getting the ambulance out ASAP also. Very easy to see how you could crash there if you were carrying too much speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear, I cringed reading the details. It was bad, real bad but could've been worse.

Heal quickly

"Keep those feet moving!" Me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heal up man and thanks for reminding us that we're not invincible! Sounds like a TERRIBLE crash but that it could have been worse (no brain damage at least!).

You'll be back and stronger than ever! The forced time off is gonna build up a lot of mental energy to hammer it each day twice as hard once you're fully recovered! Stay strong!

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Glad to hear you're okay. Heal up.

Quote | Reply
Good thing you're going to fully recover.

This should be the least of your worries now, but at some point I'd make sure you get your bike checked out by a reputable mechanic. Carbon often doesn't show cracks, but it's still damaged.

Let us know how the recovery goes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to Slowtwitch, Nairo Quintana!

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow.. sorry to hear that and wish you a quick recovery.

Since you are on a liquid diet, maybe this is a good time to try out the juice cleanse everyone is doing these days and report back.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ouch! I hope you heal up quickly, and I'm sorry to hear about your crash.

ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for posting your story. Your immediate perceptions and injury descriptions were quite interesting (what we think upon a traumatic event). It is a wonder you had the presence of mind to remember these details and thoughts.

Get well soon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, glad to hear you are doing ok. Hope you have a speedy recovery and can make it back next year.

That descent and others (the Elbow coming down Big Savage and the descent from Otto Lane before Killer Miller) are no joke. I was in a similar position to you a couple years ago (open wave), and had a good enough swim to get ahead of Kelly and Josh who flew by me on those descents. Obviously knowing the course helps but you have to throw some caution to the wind to not give up time there, and I just can't shake the thought of hitting a patch of loose gravel, or an errant deer or squirrel darting across the road at the last second to do that (missed a squirrel by a fraction of a second going down from Otto Ln that year). I think the organizers do a fantastic job of communicating the danger, but at the pointy end it is a race and money is on the line, so risks will be taken, and I'm glad there isn't any silly speed limit like the Boulder Peak.

Do you think the cold temps played a role in terms of how well you could grip the brakes? I went without any armer warmers or gloves, and my hands got cold enough to make shifting a little tough towards the bottom of that descent. That was my first thought when I heard about the crash, that someone couldn't grip brakes because hands went numb.
Quote Reply
Re: So I was "worst crash in 8 years of Savageman" [kcb203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember seeing a bunch of you guys stuck behind my ambulance. Soffy if I slowed your race a bit.

I passed a female racer shortly before crashing. I suspect she was who found me. A small group of local riders were pulled over slightly up hill. I believe these are the kind folks who took care of me before the ambulance came. Someone threw some clothing over my shoulders which I probably bled all over. Sorry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeebus tooty-freakin crisp! (decided to keep it family-friendly)

Hope you heal up swiftly. Keep that positive outlook. Also surprised you remembered all that stuff, but then again, being in shock is a pretty clarifying experience.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's really horrible, sorry to hear. so many of us take risks in races and just about get away with it most of the time, just bad luck. heal up well and plan the comeback. really feel for you waking up in that ditch and coming to terms with those injuries, sounds so bad.

camilla pederson in a coma from a bike accident just over a year ago, itu long distance world champion this weekend.

keep going.

Feel the Speed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seeing as you understand the road to recovery better than most of us, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the only surprises are positive ones. Very glad to hear the biggies (neuro) are okay.

These kinds of posts kind of terrify me, as I'm wont to be that same sort of speed-demon.

Godspeed to you and hope that Jonah gets some extra dad time in the coming few weeks.

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you make sure to ask for carbon plates for your face.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonahsdad wrote:
At least that is what kny said.

Gonna share some details for whoever might care. Personal therapy I guess. Sorry for spelling/grammer, I am a bit drugged up right now.

I went into race coming at the end of a great year cycling-wise. Was in elite wave and hoping for top 5-10 finish. Went full aero: tri bike, trispoke, wheel cover, even freshly shaven legs.

Had my standard mediocre swim and was ready to reel people in on the bike. Was really feeling pretty good. Then we got to the first big descent. This is the one with tons of signs warning us to slow down. Tons of warnings at pre-race meeting. And I saw how dangerous it was when driving the course the day before. The very first corner on this descent took me out.

I went into this corner way too fast. I am generally not one to take major risks on descents but I also don't want to lose time riding the brakes. I clearly misjudged this one. I hit the corner, realized I really needed to slow down, hit the brakes, felt my rear wheel lose traction in gravel, and knew I was screwed. The last thing i remember thinking was "I am going into the ditch". Then I woke up in the ditch.

Looking at my garmin data I appears that I was going 40 mph into the corner and only slowed to 35.

So anyway I remember waking up in the ditch and someone was already in there helping me. I believe this was a local biker who was out on the course named Eric. I was pretty confused and remember thinking something like. "Where am I, I think I was doing a race, maybe I should get up and get racing again, maybe I am hurt, wonder where my bike is". I was bleeding pretty good from my head onto my knee. My tongue noticed what seemed like a missing tooth. That sucks. Then I noticed that as my tongue was exploring my mouth it was also moving my entire face around. I am an MD and quickly realized I was seriously injured. What I thought was a missing tooth was actually my upper jaw overlapping itself. Multiple bad facial fractures.

Went in ambulance to local hospital. They did some scans and discovered that my mildly sore upper back was actually an unstable T9 fracture and several other spinal fractures.. They transferred me to West Virginia University. Had surgery on face and spine on the next day. Neurosurgeons did a fusion of most of my T spine with 2 rods that are supposed to come out in 6 month or so. At least 5 plates in my face. my jaw is essentially wired in place and I am on liquid diet for 6 weeks or so.

No brain damage. No spinal cord damage. Everything will heal. But it does really hurt.

Amazingly my bike seems to have come out without a scratch. Just a flat front tire.

Thank-you to everyone who helped me that day. Especially Eric in the ditch and the volunteer on the motorcycle who stayed with me most of the day while we waited for my wife to arrive. Thanks to whoever took care of my bike and other stuff. Thanks to the RDs who put on a great race. I was adequately warned about the dangerous descent, I just screwed up.

Man, it terrifies me to read that your whole face was moving around. I hope your recovery is swift and that you're back to your old self sooner than later. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you were not more seriously injured. Just seeing you on the side of the road, well attended by others, made me think twice about bombing the descent. I imagine others likely "puckered up" as well. Hope your recovery goes well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really, really hate reading about this. SavageMan is a great bike course, which is the whole reason the race exists, but the descents really, truly are no joke. Knowing the turn well that got you, it's very likely the rock face on the other side of the ditch took your impact which is why the injuries are so awful.

I'm so glad you are "ok" in the big picture sense of the word. If you are able to race again with fused vertebra, I do hope you return and get back on that horse that threw you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy sh..t. Hope you bounce back soon.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh my goodness!!!

I truly wish you a very quick and pain-free recovery. It hurt just reading about your crash. :-(

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply

Prev Next